Computer Freezes - Need Help

Associate
have you just tried resetting BIOS to "optimized defaults"? just in case.

don't rule out temp issues just yet either. you've mentioned it happens during games, so i'd double check your graphics cards' settings and temps. make sure you get the latest drivers for them. be sure to use Forceware and not manufacturer drivers. and check your SLI settings.

also get the latest chipset drivers for your mobo. that can often fix hardware issues like dodgy mouse drivers and USB drivers etc. might help.

Associate
OP
have you just tried resetting BIOS to "optimized defaults"? just in case.

don't rule out temp issues just yet either. you've mentioned it happens during games, so i'd double check your graphics cards' settings and temps. make sure you get the latest drivers for them. be sure to use Forceware and not manufacturer drivers. and check your SLI settings.

also get the latest chipset drivers for your mobo. that can often fix hardware issues like dodgy mouse drivers and USB drivers etc. might help.

Aye, tried resetting the bios.

The problem isn't only during game, it can just be left to it's own devices totally idle and still freeze up.
The drivers im using are the latest from nvidia.
SLI settings are all on the nvidia defaults, is there anything in particular that I should be checking?

Have downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for the mobo, still having the issue.

I'm seriously starting to think this is Mobo problem, going to switch all the parts out for the old setup that will still work on this Mobo later tonight and see how that goes.

In mean time, any other suggestions?

Associate
OP
Whilst I can't relly help my feeling is that it could be software conflict rather than hardware. Although I did get some of the problems you mention just before my old PSU blew. As far as power is concerned use this link:

http://www.coolermaster.com/support/psu_calculator.php

which allows you to check how much juice you are drawing.

Kelvin

Thanks for that kelvin, I had used a similar calc and it also showed that I'm only needing around the same ~441w, just seems a little low and had wondered since the manual with my GFX card suggested a 1000w PSU if it was going to be used in SLI (which seemed exsessive!).

I had thought that it could possibly be something I was installing / using. So I tried leaving it with nothing except vista (with its updates), and the drivers for the hardware installed. This still resulted in a freeze.

If I could do something to force a freeze, it would help a lot since I froze yesterday (an hour after bootup without starting any additional progs or changing anything). So restarted it, and now it's been going for just over 14hrs, with some heavy use and then 8hrs idling last night while I slept without a freeze.
I just really dont understand how there can be such a huge difference between the length of time it can take to freeze.

Edit: Have added temps of system under load to the original post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom