Connecting an Electric cooker (sparky advice please)

Caporegime
20bQT.jpg
Thats correct right? and I would use 6mm T&E cable for a cooker that has a 9.9KW total power consumption ?
BTW is there supposed to be a second set of screw terminals inside that connection box? or just the one set as shown on the picture?
AQmfM.jpg
3ePaR.jpg

and as long as every switch on that box is set to OFF I'm not going to kill myself right?.

It's either do it myself or pay someone £50-65 for a 5minute job, I would rather do it myself as long as I'm safe in the knowledge I'm doing it right

Caporegime
OP
With the greatest of respect, if you are asking/checking which wire is live/neutral/earth, I think it would really be in your best interest to get a spark to do it for you. IMVHO of course, and no offence meant :)

Just double checking its all right in the box and thats the order you would expect to find the cables :p

Soldato
I love how people make installing a cooker to be some extremely difficult job that you have to pay an electrician £40 to do for you. I assume we should all get an electrician in when we need to change a plug as well?

Caporegime
OP
I love how were not allowed to give medical advice, but when it comes to burning houses down its a free for all :rolleyes:
You are not required to have an electrician connect an electric cooker to an existing cooker socket nor does it require actually seeing a person to make a diagnosis and offer advice.

In reality asking for someone to double check your doing it right with a simple electric task is not really any different from asking for DIY advice or mechanical advice with your car

Where does it stop?
Surely it stops where the goverment requires by law that an electrician must certify the work and provide a certificate ?

Soldato
I think it might be against the law to touch that without having the required certification. It's for your own safety probably due to the amount of electricity involved if something goes wrong.

Soldato
Surely it stops where the goverment requires by law that an electrician must certify the work and provide a certificate ?

Try telling that to most on here lol, Yours isn't really much of an example but I've seen much more involved work which does require certification being advised on these boards over the years.

I think it might be against the law to touch that without having the required certification. It's for your own safety probably due to the amount of electricity involved if something goes wrong.

It isn't,

Best advice is if you ain't sure contact an electrician.

To answer your questions Arknor,

Yep, Live, Earth, Neutral.

You should be ok with all the MCB's off but I can't guarantee that will make it dead as you really should have means of testing. You have had a recent inspection done so "should" be fine though.

Both cables go into the same screw terminal, They are quite deep. 6mm T+E will do the job yeah, Make sure all connections are nice and tight, Use the cord grip in the outlet. You might need torx screw driver for the cooker (A lot use these now)

Last edited:
Soldato
Try telling that to most on here lol, Yours isn't really much of an example but I've seen much more involved work which does require certification being advised on these boards over the years.

It isn't,

Best advice is if you ain't sure contact an electrician.

To answer your questions Arknor,

Yep, Live, Earth, Neutral.

You should be ok with all the MCB's off but I can't guarantee that will make it dead as you really should have means of testing. You have had a recent inspection done so "should" be fine though.

Both cables go into the same screw terminal, They are quite deep. 6mm T+E will do the job yeah, Make sure all connections are nice and tight, Use the cord grip in the outlet. You might need torx screw driver for the cooker (A lot use these now)

Is that right, I'll have to look that up, I always thought it was.

Btw OP, if you don't post again we'll know what happened :D

Soldato
I would buy a cheep meter and just check its dead before getting my fingers in there. I've been caught out once too often by things that are supposed to be dead but turn out not to be.
The rest of what you say is correct afaik.

Caporegime
OP
I would buy a cheep meter and just check its dead before getting my fingers in there. I've been caught out once too often by things that are supposed to be dead but turn out not to be.
The rest of what you say is correct afaik.

would a non contact voltage pen be up to the task as long as I confirm the pen actually works on another cable and then double check the pen is still working again before I touch any wires ?

Back
Top Bottom