Coolermaster RP-550-PCAA-E2 - just poor or actually dangerous?

Soldato
A mate has just purchased a Coolermaster RP-550-PCAA-E2 PSU second hand. He doesn't need to power anything with a large power draw but is going to power a modest GPU and an i7-8700. I can tell from the label that it's not very good but is it actually dangerous?

The label made me recoil:

yQXklEK.jpg

A quick search doesn't bring up much, with the preferred result being the -PCAR-E3. The review of that from Hardware Secrets does not inspire confidence.

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W burned while we tried to pull 550 W from it at high temperatures.

Efficiency was always below 80%, varying between 73.2% and 77.5%, depending on the load.

Although some can see Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W as an option if you are not going to pull 550 W from it, we can’t recommend this unit, as it burns if you try to pull its rated wattage. Its main technical problem is efficiency, between 73.2% and 77.5%, which would prevent us from recommending this unit even if it could deliver its labeled power.

You see, this unit is a renamed Seventeam ST-500BAZ, a 500 W power supply that has already been discontinued by the manufacturer – no wonder it couldn’t deliver its labeled power.

Man of Honour
If it was dodgy when released 10 (?) years ago, it is even more suspect now and the caps used appear to have been poor quality, so unless it was lightly used it might not even be operating within spec anymore.

Man of Honour
That review seems to be for a single rail psu not the twin rail your friend has purchased which appears to be even worse. The one he has only has a pathetic 384w across it's twin 12v rails plus it's ancient so I wouldn't trust it even on a pc just using a low end APU. Best place for it is in the bin. Why on earth do people buy such ancient cheap and nasty garbage psu's?

Back
Top Bottom