Cordless mower recommendation?

Soldato
Hi all,

I took the 25 minute gap in rain to try and mow the lawn today but after 5 minutes or so the rotors started slowing down and a burning smell was apparent so it looks like I'm in the market for a new mower.

We've not got a huge garden but quite like the idea of no cables trailing around so am leaning towards a battery powered one!

I don't want to spend a fortune but can anyone recommend a decent(ish) mower for under say £300?

Soldato
I bought the Greenworks 40V mower late last year - so I've done one cut (and pick up of loads of leaves - I use the lazy approach to leaf clearing) at the end of last year, and one cut this year so far.
Absolutely chuffed with it. Definitely no less powerful that the Bosch corded mower I had before. No struggling with long grass. And you really don't realise how much of a pain constantly flicking the cord out of the way is until you don't have to any more.

I will be gradually adding their blower, hedge trimmer, and strimmer over this year, as I need them / they come on sale.

Soldato
Should have said - I got it on sale for £250 with 2x 2Ah batteries. I think it's available at that price fairly regularly.

Very rough estimate, based on google maps, suggests I mow about 180m2 of grass, and it just makes it on one of the batteries.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Should have said - I got it on sale for £250 with 2x 2Ah batteries. I think it's available at that price fairly regularly.

Very rough estimate, based on google maps, suggests I mow about 180m2 of grass, and it just makes it on one of the batteries.

Can I ask, did you go for the 49cm or the 35cm? I know my dad has a battery powered mower and his takes 2 batteries at the same time - is this the same??

Associate
I have the 18v ryobi and its a great machine. Looking to upgrade to the 36v garden range for the extra power in the future. Would have done it already if Ryobi delivered to northern ireland.

This is over your budget however also includes the strimmer

The lawnmower alone is £400 in the likes of B&Q so saves you £120 on buying the strimmer.

Soldato
Can I ask, did you go for the 49cm or the 35cm? I know my dad has a battery powered mower and his takes 2 batteries at the same time - is this the same??
Neither, 41cm!

The 2 batteries at a time one is (I think) a 48V mower, using 2x 24V batteries.

I very nearly bought Ryobi, as they have such a massive range of tools that the batteries would also fit - but I found one of theirs on display at a B&Q and was very disappointed in how flimsy it seemed.

Soldato
OP
Neither, 41cm!

The 2 batteries at a time one is (I think) a 48V mower, using 2x 24V batteries.

I very nearly bought Ryobi, as they have such a massive range of tools that the batteries would also fit - but I found one of theirs on display at a B&Q and was very disappointed in how flimsy it seemed.

I quite like the look of the Greenworks range - but I'm a bit unsure as to a couple of things:
  1. Stupid question I assume the 35/41/49cm measurement is the mowing (and therefore mower) width?
  2. In terms of the voltage of the battery - does the 40V simply mean a longer mowing duration or does this affect the power/performance of the mower itself?
I can find the 41cm Greenworks mower for around £290 but this looks to be 2 x 24V batteries, both of which need to be in the mower for use - how does the 40V differ from this? (sorry, I'm a novice when it comes to voltages etc)

Also, what are the advantages of the motor being "brushed" or "brushless"?

Thanks for the continued help....

Soldato
Bought this one as I'm already invested in the Ryobi One system, it does both my front and back lawns on the twin 5mah batteries using only around half them both whereas the 33cm non brushless would use both batteries up.

Soldato
I quite like the look of the Greenworks range - but I'm a bit unsure as to a couple of things:
  1. Stupid question I assume the 35/41/49cm measurement is the mowing (and therefore mower) width?
  2. In terms of the voltage of the battery - does the 40V simply mean a longer mowing duration or does this affect the power/performance of the mower itself?
I can find the 41cm Greenworks mower for around £290 but this looks to be 2 x 24V batteries, both of which need to be in the mower for use - how does the 40V differ from this? (sorry, I'm a novice when it comes to voltages etc)

Also, what are the advantages of the motor being "brushed" or "brushless"?

Thanks for the continued help....
The Ah rating of the batteries is a measure of how long the charge will last. The voltage theoretically denotes the 'power' (which is the wrong term entirely, but for the purposes of this...) the mower has. Less likely to bog down in long grass.
But I wouldn't like to say that Greenworks 40V mower is therefore better able to deal with long / wet grass than Ryobi's 36V because of the extra 4V. Who knows?

But if you look within the Greenworks range, you'll see they do 24V, 40V, 48V and 60V tools. All except the 48V require a battery of the same voltage. The 48V range doubles up on 24V batteries.

So the 41cm mower that you've found which takes 2x 24V batteries is not the same as the one I have - it's probably the 48V model.
There's a fair bit of sense in going for that over the 40V I suppose - since that means you have a supply of 24V batteries rather than 40V batteries - and their 24V range of tools is much wider. Can't remember now why I didn't do that! :D

The measurement is indeed the cutting width. The mower itself will be slightly wider of course.

Soldato
Petrol Mowers are Cordless.. :D

I think my old petrol mower is on its way our (about 18-20 years old) and i was going to post similar to the OP regarding a battery one. My only concern is that as i live backing onto a golf course that used to be marshland the first cut of the year can be pretty thick and often a bit damp (Grass/garden holds the water) so i was considering a battery one but dont know if it will be any good for my grass. While i know i would need to buy fuel i can get a new mountfield with briggs and stratton motor for £200.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
TSo the 41cm mower that you've found which takes 2x 24V batteries is not the same as the one I have - it's probably the 48V model.
There's a fair bit of sense in going for that over the 40V I suppose - since that means you have a supply of 24V batteries rather than 40V batteries - and their 24V range of tools is much wider. Can't remember now why I didn't do that! :D

To be honest I'm torn between the 40V and the 2 x 24V setup - although I have seen the 49" mower with 2 x 2.5Ah 40V batteries for £250 but this is probably overkill for my needs! (plus that model appears to have dual rotors rather than one big one!?!?)

Soldato
Lidl has a Parkside bare cordless mower for £69.99, add in a charger for £9.99 and a pair of 4Ah batteries at £24.99 each and you have a decent set up for £129.96 with a three year warranty. I have many Parkside tools and they have been of very good quality.

I have a Lidl Parkside one, got it for £50 (on sale 2 years ago), already had the 20V batteries (5Ah) as I use a few of their other tools. For a mower it does the job, it's not terrible and it is not amazing, needed to sharpen the blade on it as soon as I bought it though as it tore the grass as opposed to cutting it, took me a couple of cuts to figure out what felt wrong with it. Also have their 20V strimmer as well, that actually pretty decent for light edging and such, wouldn't want to use it for clearing huge swathes of overgrown gardens/land though.

Soldato
Just an FYI 18V, 20V and 21V batteries are probably all nominally exactly the same they just pick a differnet part of the charge cycle to measure it.

For example the Ryobi 18v batteries are over 20v fully charged, the likes of Lidl ones etc just choose to use the fully chaged number as the headline rather than the mid point like most of the 18V stuff.

So don't discount something that's 36v rather than 40v as they're more than likely be exactly the same.

The same can't be said for brushed vs brushless, brushless is far superior and well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom