Corsair Dominator vs Vengeance CM*64GX5M2B6000Z30

Soldato
Hi Guys
Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience on any real differences between these two RAM series?

I'm considering grabbing a 64GB EXPO kit for the wife's new Black Friday overhaul, and it seems that Corsair do both a Dominator and Vengeance kit, with the exact same spec - 32GB x2, 6000 CL30-36-36
CMT64GX5M2B6000Z30
CMH64GX5M2B6000Z30

Even the part no is all but identical.

Price difference is currently £30 which isn't that extreme, but beyond the different look, and slightly chunkier heatsink, I'm struggling to see if there is any real difference, official pricing is almost £50 between the 2 kits, so you'd think SOMETHING should be different, but I'm wondering if it's all going to bling/marketing, or if there actually is some difference here, if so, I am guessing better heatsink, and maybe slightly better binning/QC?

Anyone know?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My experience is zero difference. With AMD you just stick to 6000mhz anyway. Maybe someone else will have a different opinion.
Yep both are 6000, was just trying to workout if there was much more to it. The wife decided on the Dominators anyway whilst price was small but curious what the actual difference is.

I'd like to hope the Dominators get the best chips, and more likely to just run nicely with expo enabled, as 32gb dual rank DIMMs are a bit more demanding.

Might be nice to try overclocking them down the road also, especially if she ends up dropping a newer gen chip in later.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I realised that, although appreciate the headsup! Luckily they are going into a system with 360MM AIO, rather than an air cooler, so no major concerns there :) (and the cooler is going to be side mounted, so slightly closer than with a front mount also)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep both are 6000, was just trying to workout if there was much more to it. The wife decided on the Dominators anyway whilst price was small but curious what the actual difference is.

I'd like to hope the Dominators get the best chips, and more likely to just run nicely with expo enabled, as 32gb dual rank DIMMs are a bit more demanding.

Might be nice to try overclocking them down the road also, especially if she ends up dropping a newer gen chip in later.
But the best chips are on dimms with high clocks. Those two you have compared are likely identical and will not overclock well even if you had an intel build. I cannot remember, but a Hynix version is the best to buy.
My opinion anyway, I watched a buildzoid vid and he went through just about all of them.

Soldato
OP
I've watched a few. Looks like the Dominators are A/M-die Hynix, and timings are relatively tight across the board even if not massively clocked, so likely with looser timings they could go a decent step or two higher based on what Buildzoid mentions. I noticed in a few of his videos he recommended 6000 CL30 for Ryzen also if you wanted out of the box 'no hassle', and seems this is about the best spec available that is EXPO rated. This is for the wife, so yes!

I would have gone for the G-Skills which are available more cheaply than the Corsair, but I paid the extra to order from the UK than the US just incase of any issues.

Last edited:
Associate
I have never seen any dominators that have been good. it does exactly what it says it will do and just that. I think I have had 3/4 sets of the dominator ram DD4. First it wouldn;t play nice with my old 5950x setup and these were just 3200/3600 mhz variants. Constant dead sticks with my z690 I did manage to get a set which worked. None of them seem to overclock above what they rated for as they used lesser quality ram modules than say g.skill or other manufacturers and they charge corsair tax. Yep they look nice and matches a certain aesthetic people are going for.
But people have to realise this is not the same Corsair from the early days if you bought their ram it use to be the best bar none.

They sold out years ago to a conglomerate and the quality has been shoddy since.

Lately I have bought 2 sets of DDR5 ram. One corsair titanium 7200 and one gskill 7800. Both 32gb. The corsair cost £250 and the gskill £200. Sure the corsairs look prettier and the RGB is better while the gskill are plain and dull. I will let you guess which clocks better. If lower clocks and less potential to clock well while having pretty lights for £50 more is your thing. Go Corsair. If you don;t care about the looks and RGB while having higher clocks and higher overclockability is your thing while being £50 less then go Gskill.

Oh another thing if you go Corsair. You have not experience the hell that is icue v5.xx if you thought mystic lights or the gigabyte offering was bad then you have seen nothing yet. And before peeps think I am hating on Corsair. I am actually a Corsair fanboi or use to be until the latest link products and icue v5.xx. Since the very first days of myself starting to build Pc's and when Corsair were just a memory company I have been loyal. But the new link stuff is shoddy and icue v5.xx for a lot of peeps are hardware breaking. WHile I appreciate they are people who have not had issues with their new stuff. For ever 1 satisfied user their are 10 users posting on how icue v5.xx bricked their aios or their corsair hardware not being detected by Icue.

Soldato
OP
Sad to hear that, touch wood the Corsair set bought for her system has just worked, at 6000 CL30, which isn't bad given its a dual rank 64GB set.
As it's for her system which is a more set and forget requirement, I will take that for what it is, even if they're not the quality/corsair of old.

Associate
Sad to hear that, touch wood the Corsair set bought for her system has just worked, at 6000 CL30, which isn't bad given its a dual rank 64GB set.
As it's for her system which is a more set and forget requirement, I will take that for what it is, even if they're not the quality/corsair of old.
Afaik Most AM5 setups the sweet spot is 6000mhz. Beyond that you will have to tinker with the settings and it gets kinda sketch. There are some peeps that have managed to get it beyond 6000mhz but is it worth the hassle and frustration probably not. Be happy with the Corsairs.

Associate
Hi Guys
Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience on any real differences between these two RAM series?

I'm considering grabbing a 64GB EXPO kit for the wife's new Black Friday overhaul, and it seems that Corsair do both a Dominator and Vengeance kit, with the exact same spec - 32GB x2, 6000 CL30-36-36
CMT64GX5M2B6000Z30
CMH64GX5M2B6000Z30

Even the part no is all but identical.

Price difference is currently £30 which isn't that extreme, but beyond the different look, and slightly chunkier heatsink, I'm struggling to see if there is any real difference, official pricing is almost £50 between the 2 kits, so you'd think SOMETHING should be different, but I'm wondering if it's all going to bling/marketing, or if there actually is some difference here, if so, I am guessing better heatsink, and maybe slightly better binning/QC?

Anyone know?
It’s probably zero difference between the two given the exact same timings as a guess.

I’d do a Reddit search to confirm my hypothesis first as you do want Hynix over Samsung chips but the timings are often slightly different between manufacturers memory module types.

I’d even wager that they are the same modules underneath with one using a different heatsink and/or colour PCB to “differentiate” them.

There’s zero margin in memory at the moment so a great way to generate a price difference is marketing through RGB or a bigger heatsink or whatever.

Look at the number of SSDs that cost quite a bit more for an added heatsink that costs pennies to manufacture and paint.

It would also make procurement sense as if you use the same memory modules (Micron/Hynix/etc), you can order twice as many and get a slightly better price from the manufacturer which helps profits in a bad market segment.

Get the cheapest one or the one that you like the look of or the one that doesn’t foul the CPU cooler.

Associate
I have never seen any dominators that have been good. it does exactly what it says it will do and just that. I think I have had 3/4 sets of the dominator ram DD4. First it wouldn;t play nice with my old 5950x setup and these were just 3200/3600 mhz variants. Constant dead sticks with my z690 I did manage to get a set which worked. None of them seem to overclock above what they rated for as they used lesser quality ram modules than say g.skill or other manufacturers and they charge corsair tax. Yep they look nice and matches a certain aesthetic people are going for.
But people have to realise this is not the same Corsair from the early days if you bought their ram it use to be the best bar none.

They sold out years ago to a conglomerate and the quality has been shoddy since.

Lately I have bought 2 sets of DDR5 ram. One corsair titanium 7200 and one gskill 7800. Both 32gb. The corsair cost £250 and the gskill £200. Sure the corsairs look prettier and the RGB is better while the gskill are plain and dull. I will let you guess which clocks better. If lower clocks and less potential to clock well while having pretty lights for £50 more is your thing. Go Corsair. If you don;t care about the looks and RGB while having higher clocks and higher overclockability is your thing while being £50 less then go Gskill.

Oh another thing if you go Corsair. You have not experience the hell that is icue v5.xx if you thought mystic lights or the gigabyte offering was bad then you have seen nothing yet. And before peeps think I am hating on Corsair. I am actually a Corsair fanboi or use to be until the latest link products and icue v5.xx. Since the very first days of myself starting to build Pc's and when Corsair were just a memory company I have been loyal. But the new link stuff is shoddy and icue v5.xx for a lot of peeps are hardware breaking. WHile I appreciate they are people who have not had issues with their new stuff. For ever 1 satisfied user their are 10 users posting on how icue v5.xx bricked their aios or their corsair hardware not being detected by Icue.
Agree with all of this.

Using Buildzoid as a reference, Dominator Platinum RAM isn’t the same as it used to be.

It used to be a promise of the best quality memory hands down back in the day but now it just looks good.

E.g., You can find top bin Hynix DDR5 modules in the most boring and ugly green memory modules these days which will overclock very well and are cheap.

Soldato
OP
Afaik Most AM5 setups the sweet spot is 6000mhz. Beyond that you will have to tinker with the settings and it gets kinda sketch. There are some peeps that have managed to get it beyond 6000mhz but is it worth the hassle and frustration probably not. Be happy with the Corsairs.
That is exactly why I chose this, low CL, and reputation for being reliable at this density (32GB Dual Rank/64 GB kit), whereas the G-Skill was only orderable from the US at the time, as out of stock here, plus also read more compatibility issues..

Soldato
OP
Agree with all of this.

Using Buildzoid as a reference, Dominator Platinum RAM isn’t the same as it used to be.

It used to be a promise of the best quality memory hands down back in the day but now it just looks good.

E.g., You can find top bin Hynix DDR5 modules in the most boring and ugly green memory modules these days which will overclock very well and are cheap.
Agreed, was just trying to ensure 100% as much as possible compatibility as its fairly dense and decent timings (CL30-36-36-76 iirc), the Vengence seems a little more hit and miss on binning as read a number of people reporting failures here at this specific spec and density :)
Plus, RGB makes the wife happy hah

Soldato
OP
Yes, not all kits are equal and its hard to find the good from the bag. Luckily in another video he mentioned the timings of the kit I bought were actually half decent for 32GB DIMMs (CL30-36-36-76), so if its stable and runs with few issues bar the occasion motherboard retrain, then happy days. Also noticed it did not actually take that long to retrain after a change, less than a minute, which for 64GB doesn't seem bad at all.

Corsair's website is also hot garbage like Buildzoid says lol, I noticed that myself!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom