Council Tax

Permabanned
You don't get any of that stuff anymore since the government introduced "universal credit" basically making it 100% impossible to survive on benefits so you have no choice but to get a job.

Brilliant news!

And yet, people on benefits with no job are managing just fine!

Soldato
Brilliant news!

And yet, people on benefits with no job are managing just fine!

Well I am not, but then I do not commit any crime or have any other source of income, I need to get a job asap. People who are determined not to work will still manage to get by, but all this is doing is increasing crime levels etc. Google "crime levels since benefits cuts" if you don't believe me.

Associate
He's not the sharpest tool in the shed, he sees expensive gadgets and people on benefits and assumes they got the gadgets while they were on benefits.

I downgraded some of my stuff to try and live until I got a job but with bills piling up the money didn't last long and I had to sign on.

Just because someone has a nice TV, phone and sky package doesn't mean they are well off, bills don't just stop just because you have lost your job people still expect you to pay for things. While I agree it's not right that the tax payer has to subsidise it you can't expect people just to sell everything off to make yourself feel better, benefits are there as a stop gap till you can get back into work.

If I was on benefits and didn't have a TV, a phone, or anything to entertain me at night and weekends when you can't look for a job I think I'd top myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you live at home with your parents and have never lived on your own then you have absolutely no idea. I think people should work and should not be on benefits but if you have not noticed the UK and most of the world is not exactly the land of opportunity at present. The cost of living keeps going up, benefits going down, job opportunities are supposedly increasing slowly, but it is not a good time to be in a flat with no job. Being at university is easy, you get free money and there is not even that much work to do, I have a degree so I know what it is like.

Associate
If you live at home with your parents and have never lived on your own then you have absolutely no idea. I think people should work and should not be on benefits but if you have not noticed the UK and most of the world is not exactly the land of opportunity at present. The cost of living keeps going up, benefits going down, job opportunities are supposedly increasing slowly, but it is not a good time to be in a flat with no job. Being at university is easy, you get free money and there is not even that much work to do, I have a degree so I know what it is like.

Welcome to 86JR world, from school to higher education all while living at home, the job center didn't give him all the disability benefits he wanted so now he is on a crusade against people on benefits. He has Aspergers apparently and the Job Center refused to pay him disability yet he manages to run a "successful" business from home and is looking at starting another business, if he can do that with Aspergers there is no reason he couldn't work and the Job Center were right not to give him disability benefit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only reason I have a TV and PC etc. is because I bought it all when I actually had money, there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of buying ANYTHING other than food and bills whilst on benefits (unless you have illegal income) in fact you do not even get anywhere near enough to cover basic living costs anymore since the benefit cuts. I am currently looking for work and my outgoings are about £150 more than my income per month on benefits, this is whilst scrimping as much as possible and not buying anything other than food and bills, its sucks, being on benefits is NOT FUN!

Associate
Tut! Moan,moan I,ve had an 8k bill this year from Bristol City council lol. Hummmm ! How many days of jail would that get me for non payment ?.seems the poor think that the hard work man owe them all for sitting on their Asses . Get up get out and earn the extra,s like we have to !

Soldato
If it was a laugh then everyone will be on it!

Yes I agree but I just find it very irritating when people who still live with parents, whether they are in work or not, say that people on benefits just sit around all day and have an easy life, it is not fun being on benefits and the sooner I can get a job the better. The media and goverment etc. with all the propaganda for example the program "benefits street" try to make anyone on benefits look like lazy scum when it is actually the governments fault that a lot of people are currently on benefits, due to the job market, recession etc.

Associate
Tut! Moan,moan I,ve had an 8k bill this year from Bristol City council lol. Hummmm ! How many days of jail would that get me for non payment ?.seems the poor think that the hard work man owe them all for sitting on their Asses . Get up get out and earn the extra,s like we have to !

More nonsense. All work is "hard" work. No "poor" people are expecting anyone to pay for them but the fact we live in a civilised society means we look after the people who are in need.

Would you rather people starve and become homeless to save you a couple of quid a year on your tax?

Soldato
Unfortunately the people who abuse the benefits system and have absolutely no plan of ever working have messed it up for everyone else.

Soldato

Ahahahahhahahaha. A post truly worthy of many lols.

Soldato
In most of Ireland there is currently no council tax...refuse is collected by private companies and is paid for as a separate service by the householder. Like I said, each authority does this differently and some are subsidised and some are not...this goes for a range of services such as public transport as well.

I'll have to take your word for that, the only charged services I could find were for disposing of landfill waste which was being imposed as an extra charge to reduce landfill not as a pay-as-you-go service.

I simply don't believe that Ireland would get anywhere near it's impressive recycling rate (I believe they are only second to Germany) if people could just pay for their services ad-hoc and throw what ever they want away whenever they want.

I can see it however if they offer free recycling collection (which have to be subsidised) and then force people to pay for landfill with an extra charge (the system in Dublin).

However in Ireland, it is illegal to deliberately throw non-recyclable waste into a recycling bin. So whilst they may have the 'liberal' payment system, they have some pretty draconian and non-liberal laws supporting it.

Not really the point...the point was that Private contractors already supply the services to local authorities in England. Whether people are happy or not is by and by..especially as people are rarely happy whoever supplies the service...including in Oxford.

We were talking about who financed collections. not who carried them out. You can have locally financed (via taxation) collection carried out by private contractors but those authorities don't offer the 'opt out' or PAYG system you want, so they are irrelevant in the discussion.

I said that paying for services you use is an alternative to paying a single all encompassing charge, that is all. You stated that taking waste collections from local authorities and charging directly would increase fly-tipping etc...I said it hasn't in other countries where a different direct charge system is in place, so far you have not offered evidence to suggest this is incorrect..only begun arguing about something else.

You have provided no evidence that it wouldn't, you've simply said that some countries don't pay for collections via taxation and said they don't have fly tipping.

Given no city in the world is free from fly tipping, you'd have to show a medium/long term study where one city has switched from one system to another and studied the impact it had. You can't just cite some place you thought looked nice on TV and doesn't have a CT system and claim proof that having a house-by-house subscription service would not cause all kinds of mess.

Rolleyes all you like....the figures you gave seem exceptionally good compared to the national averages and official figures given by various local authorities. I also didn't say it meant nothing, perhaps you should just get off your high horse and actually read what was written rather than what you think was written...like the figures I gave are from several local authorities for example and Govt. average figures from the ONS and DEFRA. So yeah, I did my research across several authorities..rather than just assuming yours was indicative of the national averages. Like I said, if the figure of £1 per household, per week for all comprehensive domestic collections (inc white and bulk as you said) is correct then your council is doing very well, for comparison Wiltshire for the last year 2012/13 the costs were just under £3 per household, slightly lower than the year before.

Sources please....

Your day job? working for the OWP? are your figures inclusive of the shared benefit of this partnership and the fact that some of the City costs are subsidised via this partnership and the County Council?

And where do the County Council get their money from? They are subsidised by CT payers in the city who in turn give the City some back to pay for the field used getting our vehicles to the tips that sit in their jurisdiction. No 'extra' money is being put it, it has all come from CT.

That's not to say we aren't subsided at all by outside money, but that comes from our commercial trade waste collection services we offer but even if that was enough to cover the entire domestic operation so what?

County Council (who interestingly said in a recycling missive recently that their environmental services cost each household approx £6 per week in 2012/13 when discussing the importance of increasing recycling rates.)

There is a huge difference between the entire cost of environmental services and domestic refuse collection, which is why I was careful in my wording when I made the claim. Environmental Services encompasses everything from deep cleaning the streets to enforcing waste legislation.

Here is Wiltshire (exclusive of Swindon) we have 176,000 households and the costs for domestic waste collection last year were (according to my Council Tax breakdown) £30.1m, this means that each household contributed approximately £170 per household for Waste Collection, this compares with the figures given by the County for the costs of delivering their service (in partnership with several private companies under contract) per household.

As above, I suspect you are looking at a top-level figure for environmental services and not purely the domestic waste collection element. This can be seen from Wiltshire's 2014 budget which includes the figure you are...

2iw8284.jpg

But that £3m for 'communities' includes a lot more than just the collections. It includes things like street cleaning services, the running of authority owned tip sites, the running and cleaning of carparks and park services.

But that chart highlights a point I made earlier, out of all the things your CT goes on even the entire waste service is a tiny minority, so why get a bee in your bonnet about it and why would expect any real lowering of you CT if it were to go totally private?

Besides, as I said your figures are excellent as they are significantly lower than the national averages. If you are indeed delivering comprehensive domestic waste collections for less than £1 per week per household then that is far better than our council or the other councils I looked at. Like I said, ours costs more than that and we also get charged for bulky items and white goods...although not Garden Waste, which your council does.

No I just think you are comparing a council's entire environmental budget with the domestic waste collection budget and so are seeing big differences.

So there are extra costs incurred..this was somewhat different from you said earlier..also your council is not indicative of everyone. I gave the figures for ours for example. Does not Oxford also charge for Garden Waste bins and so on? (£39 per year).

On bulkies I said that we make money from scrap metal which in turn helps subsidise the free service, I didn't mention extra charges.

As for our "Brown Bin" scheme for garden waste you will know as an expert in these matter that Council Tax does not cover or provide a council with money for collecting garden waste. So in affect it is an extra service you can have which isn't covered by your CT.

I'm glad you brought it up though as it is a small version of what you essentially want, I haven't got the figures to hand but I can assure you after we introduced it we had a substantial drop in the weights we were getting for green waste when we offered it for free. So where do you think this extra weight has gone? It's gone into landfill instead, something that shouldn't happen under you logic.

You are missing the point..It isn't about cutting just one service, it was but an example...

Yes and one I disagree with and stand by the idea that keeping the locality clean and tidy should be a forced shared responsibility rather than left to individual choice.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of the things listed in that image do not actually benefit the people paying the council tax.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of the things listed in that image do not actually benefit the people paying the council tax.

They all do. Do you not think living in a place free of homeless people a benefit to you (i.e social housing)? And how many CT payers don't have kids (schools) or leave their house (highways)?

Back
Top Bottom