Critical Incident *breaking news* - Another stabbing!

Caporegime
To be fair there were a couple of attacks at/near my school back in the late 80's but they didn't seem to get on the news back then. On one occasion a well known school bully stabbed a couple of other pupils in an underpass on the way home from school. On another occasion someone put acid in the science teachers lunch. I went to a reasonably good school too.
Well of course they didn't because the internet didn't exist as it does nor were there bad faith actors like GBNews trying to stir **** up.

Soldato
To be fair there were a couple of attacks at/near my school back in the late 80's but they didn't seem to get on the news back then. On one occasion a well known school bully stabbed a couple of other pupils in an underpass on the way home from school. On another occasion someone put acid in the science teachers lunch. I went to a reasonably good school too.

I was stabbed in the hand by a bully at school in the early 80's. It was a Grammar school and this kind of thing was unheard of. The perp was a white, Christian lad who was a bit troubled due to being an orphan and having gone through the system. He was living with a decent foster family though, just had anger issues and to be fair I probably wound him up a bit - teens are ***** to each other and I was no different. He got some kind of punishment, but I can't remember what. I don't think he was still at the school a few years later, his family moved iirc.

Man of Honour
Well of course they didn't because the internet didn't exist as it does nor were there bad faith actors like GBNews trying to stir **** up.
There were local newspapers and local TV news just before or after the national news. Plenty of opportunity for it to be newsworthy.

I'm not sure what GB News has to with it. The audience for that channel is tiny. Hardly anyone listens to it. I'd be surprised if they are causing much stirring. And as mentioned by another poster that news article was from mainstream Sky anyway.

Caporegime
There were local newspapers and local TV news just before or after the national news. Plenty of opportunity for it to be newsworthy.

I'm not sure what GB News has to with it. The audience for that channel is tiny. Hardly anyone listens to it. I'd be surprised if they are causing much stirring. And as mentioned by another poster that news article was from mainstream Sky anyway.
Isn't the point that only local people would hear local news? If a weevil sneezes in Hawaii, the entire world can know about it almost instantly now.

Caporegime
Every single minutia of events from Rhyl to Hyderabad is now a national security threat and it's clearly on purpose to keep the oldies/weak scared.

Last edited:
Soldato
The mayor's of other towns/cities generally aren't responsible for policing. Khan is. Its there in black and white.

You just keep dancing around it. Can Khan hire another 1000 police and reopen 40 police stations closed using business rates and other taxes generated in London, even levy a new tax if he/she wishes to fund it? No he can't because his budget is set by the government. If he had complete control over the budget and access to the revenues most mayors in major cities do then you'd have a point but he doesn't. It doesn't matter who is mayor or which party they are from, their ability to make real change is limited in the extreme.

Soldato
Yes that's true. I heard a few of the bombs and walked past the devastation once. I don't think this is comparable though. We were at war with the IRA.

Yeah, this isn't comparable at all. A single lunatic with a sword compared to an armed terrorist cell - it's just not even close.

Sure, but in fairness I wasn't intending to portray an equivalence to the perpetators, it was just in response to what I took as a general comment from Hades about being randomly involved in a violent incident.

I've lived and worked around London my whole life (I'm now 54yrs). There were always rough areas that you would be careful around. In many places London seems more safe now. I certainly wouldn't worry about my own safety in London. But it does feel like there is an increased chance of being randomly involved in something violent. In the 70's and 80's you would just keep away from the rougher areas at night, for example. But now there seem to be a lot of random events in the middle of the day in what would be considered normal areas.

And thought there was definitely a tangibile fear of being caught in a random bombing during those 3 decades.

Soldato
Maybe I felt less concern back then because I was young and "invincible". Perhaps my feeling now is just a combination of the internet age and losing the invincibility cloak of youth.

For sure the internet/24hr news has changed peoples perception on crime etc as we get to hear about so much more than in times past.

Caporegime
You just keep dancing around it. Can Khan hire another 1000 police and reopen 40 police stations closed using business rates and other taxes generated in London, even levy a new tax if he/she wishes to fund it? No he can't because his budget is set by the government. If he had complete control over the budget and access to the revenues most mayors in major cities do then you'd have a point but he doesn't. It doesn't matter who is mayor or which party they are from, their ability to make real change is limited in the extreme.

Money isn't the only way of addressing problems. His policies have been dire. As has his repeated inaction.

How's his stop and search study doing? Think it's 4 years now since it was promised...

Soldato
Money isn't the only way of addressing problems. His policies have been dire. As has his repeated inaction.

How's his stop and search study doing? Think it's 4 years now since it was promised...

Yeah stop and search is going to get a guy with a massive sword :rolleyes:

Power should be decentralised to mayors, they should be given far more of the revenue their city generates and then they can be held responsible for the problems of that city. 122 front counter police stations have closed in London between 2010 and 2022, that is all on the government.

Soldato
Why didn't this get an immediate armed police response, or at least taze him on sight. Videos show the police mincing around him for ages while he walks around the street, through gardens etc.

I wouldn't want to live in or anywhere near London. It's just all bad now and not just crime, but things like ULEZ and prices make it very unattractive to anyone who has experience of living elsewhere.
There probably was a shout for an ARV straight away, but unless you’re outside of a building with resident AFOs in Central London, the nearest ARV can be tens of minutes away.

Caporegime
I posted it earlier, Any comment Dis86?

New research by the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), external shows that the closure of 70% of London’s police stations due to austerity policies since 2010 led to an 11% increase in murders and assaults in nearby neighbourhoods.

Station closures lowered “police deterrence” and increased levels of violence, the report said.

It added: “The impact is driven not only by reduced police visibility around closed stations but, more importantly, by longer response times."

What does Khan do about that exactly?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
Caporegime
Yeah stop and search is going to get a guy with a massive sword :rolleyes:

Power should be decentralised to mayors, they should be given far more of the revenue their city generates and then they can be held responsible for the problems of that city. 122 front counter police stations have closed in London between 2010 and 2022, that is all on the government.

Khan was specifically given funding to recruit over 500 new officers. Do you know how many he's recruited?

None. There are now 308 fewer than there were before he was given the additional cash.

Back
Top Bottom