DC Vault

Soldato
OP
Considering I'm only a part timer now-a-days, and wouldn't be missed, I'm thinking of having a go at some of these boinc projects where we are placed fairly low to see what difference, if any it makes. I've already started on Yoyo@home where I'm fast becoming the No. 1 ranked OcUK contributor of all time! (there's only five others :D) at least I'll be top at something.

Soldato
OP
Might have a dabble in Enigma then.. see if we can get a few places :)

Cool! I took a screenshot of the rankings yesterday, both teams above and below us gained 2 points in last 24Hrs, we gained 118 :) spot above us is just under 1000pts away.
I've been trying Sztaki, points are fairly low per work unit so decided to give it a miss as working our way up through the team rankings would be a bit tougher, I'm going to try WCG as well as yoyo, as we're lagging a bit on that one, see how it goes :)

Soldato
OP
Looks like the have the wrong OCUK team for WCG

It can be amended, but there's not much point really as the newer team is ranked lower, also looking more into how the DC Points system works I've decided it not a project worth me concentrating on, it's very popular so progress would be slow, plus the points per position change are low, currently 0.356896pts whereas yoyo for e.g. is 13.513513pts per position change.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to run Correlizer, which is our lowest scoring project, for a few days just to see how much difference it makes :)

I was looking around the DC Vault Project stats and noticed Correlizer, another team gained a place and in return received 50pts, so that could be a good target, you'll have to let us know how you get on.

I've been running NFS@home as well as yoyo, that looks like another good one to go for, 18pts per team position change and we're way down in 230 odd with teams just a few hundred points ahead of us and each other.

I feel a team stomp is imminent :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
WOW! What an update! 2,243pts :D
UK Boinc Team well and truly Stomped!, now up to 27th :D

Nice choice with correlizer Phil, that seems to be where the most progress is to be made. I'll have a break from yoyo & NFS and have a dabble there too.

Soldato
OP
I've signed up my laptop to a few more esoteric projects, especially apt as Seti@Home is being flakey

Great stuff :)

Probably going to take me a week to complete these GIMPS units.. but will probably give us a nice bump. Time will tell

Hopefully, GIMPS is now our lowest scoring project, I've noticed that each team position change in that is worth just over 28pts ... look forward to seeing what happens :)

And we've just had another 2000+ update :cool:

Soldato
OP
I'm having a go at RNA World now, should make rapid progress on that, but some of the WUs are really long, and I mean *really* long. Look at this one here I've picked up, and how many people have aborted it. The chap that completed it has been waiting since Jan for it to be validated, it took him over 2 weeks to complete, being nosey I looked at some of the other WUs he's done, the longest I saw took him a month and a half :eek:. It wouldn't be so bad but these WUs have NO checkpoints, only what the boinc client gives, I got up to 9% after well over 24hrs on it, rebooted not knowing and it went back to 2% :mad:

But on the bright side we're just over 2K points behind 26th :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Geez look at this WU I've picked up on RNA :eek:

BOINCManager_2012-05-27_19-10-14.png

... I thought the rest of the RNA ones were bad.

Soldato
OP
Dimes has been removed from the DC Vault, maybe temporary, depending if they can sort their stats out and Eon has been added. This hasn't worked out too well for us, we're in 26th now 5K adfrift from 25th, we would have been in 24th after this mornings stats had things stayed the same, nevermind, I'm going to give a couple of cores to Eon and see what happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've been doing GIMPS on my GPU, the WUs are small, quick and it's very productive. Running 2 instances at once, which maxes out my GPU core, I can get 2 WUs done in 1hr 20 mins. I've worked out that equates to a ppd of around 130, and this is just on a modest GTX 460.

With RNA world I had a distaster, I had 3 long WUs, one had been cruching for over 8 days and would have netted me over 40,000 points alone in 3 days time, PC crashed, I had to hard boot and they all went back to the beginning again :( I ended up binning them all, couldn't face spending a week doing something I had already done, they desperately need checkpoints in those files.

@dekez I've just tried correlizer now and got work straight away.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There is a project on there called "Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP" which we don't have a team for. The project link goes here but I can't work out how to get it going or create a team :o Has anyone run this project before?

I've never ran it but I did look into it, to create a team you have to submit the team name here, also anyone who wants to join a particular team has to ask there also. I did register on those forums with the intent of creating an ocuk team but didn't get round to it, there was enough to be getting on with all the other projects :)

Soldato
OP
About 30hours per Unit (one per core). Better than the 10 days it takes me for an LL-D. Still looking at my results it seems i get about 8% more GHz-Days out of LL than TF.

Will see what my next batch of Units gets though..

I don't know what machine you have but it looks like cruching those TFs on the GPU is the way to go. I upgraded my card to a GTX 570 (eggcup's old one) it does 2 TFs in 50 mins, I've just done 200 in less than 4 days.

Oh and Canada are looking like they may well get stomped today. Then the little matter of Australia (and the other 23 teams to go)

Yeah, a bit ambitious there :) I think if we can crack the top 20 we'd have done well, of course the higher we go, the slower the progress, but I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

Soldato
OP
hanluc I notice you are also running Yoyo@home. There are seven different sub projects on there and I have found that ECM seems to give much better credit than the others, 50% or so more. So it might be worth unchecking the other projects.

Thanks, I unchecked all but Muon1 to get the badge :cool::) but I've changed it to just ECM now though I still have quite a few Muon ones left, and a few NFS ones to do.

Soldato
OP
Nice Biffa, especially love to see what damage those 470s could do on GIMPS, even just for a few days. I'll be putting my 570 to the cause next week.
Well done everyone on 23rd spot :) There's a lot more stompage to come I'm sure :)

Soldato
OP
Phil, I'm running majestic-12, Windows client v1.7.8, Is there anything I need to know on this? any tips, settings you could share? I've messed around with the client settings but don't really know what I'm doing. I have an 8Meg down 1Meg up connection, which is only being lightly used according to Netmeter.

Soldato
OP
I'll try those settings thanks, my connection is around 4 times slower than yours but my production is like 30+ times lower than yours according to the stats, so I must be doing something wrong, hopefully those settings will improve things and my ISP is Bethere, thankfully they couldn't care less how much I use.

Back
Top Bottom