Ddr5 sk hynix 32gb 5600 single mode vs kingston fury ddr5 2x16gb 5200 dual

Associate
Hi, I recently got a new laptop that come with 1 x 32gb stick of sk hynix ram, 5600 think it's cl42 which would run in single mode.

I was tiling of upgrading to 32gb of kingston impact ram but with 2 sticks 2 x 16gb
It is 5600 ram but I read my laptop with so it down to 5200 in dial mode? Will that matter?

The specs for the kingston show as cl40.

I wonder if I will see any difference at all by upgrading this to dual rank with a faster CL etc

The kingston ram also has on die ecc.

Regards
James

Man of Honour
The kingston ram also has on die ecc.
On-die ecc is something that they all have, memory with 'proper' ECC would be extra.

1 x 32gb stick of sk hynix ram, 5600 think it's cl42 which would run in single mode.
This sounds like a regular JEDEC stick.

I was tiling of upgrading to 32gb of kingston impact ram but with 2 sticks 2 x 16gb
It is 5600 ram but I read my laptop with so it down to 5200 in dial mode? Will that matter?
Are you able to change the memory frequency manually in the BIOS?

Does the laptop support EXPO or XMP?

What is the CPU?

If the laptop does not support EXPO or XMP and you can't change the frequency, I'd suggest you buy the highest JEDEC memory for the laptop, which is most likely 5200 or 5600. You can check what it is actually running at with CPU-Z or hwinfo.

If you share the model number of the memory, I can check what it will run at if you can't change frequency or use EXPO/XMP.

Man of Honour
has an Intel i9-13980HX
Intel Ark says it supports 5600, but the specification from Asus for the laptop says 5200. CPU-Z or hwinfo should be able to confirm what your current stick is and what speed it is actually running at.

the laptop is the Asus ProArt Studiobook 16
The manual didn't have any information about what is configurable in the BIOS and I couldn't find a BIOS manual. Looks like we can only answer that (about XMP and configurable DRAM frequency) if you have a dig around in there yourself.

Hi, I recently got a new laptop that come with 1 x 32gb stick of sk hynix ram, 5600 think it's cl42 which would run in single mode.

Are you saying that you want to replace 32GB with 32GB? I wouldn't bother with that, even if you're running in single channel mode.

I'd probably just buy a 16GB or 32GB stick of the same stuff (or as close as possible), especially if what you have is just standard JEDEC memory.

Associate
OP
I was going to replace what I have with the kingston ram, not add to it, if that's what you meant?
Do you think I wouldn't see any advantage of using the dual kingston in place of the 1 sk hynix one?

Man of Honour
Do you think I wouldn't see any advantage of using the dual kingston in place of the 1 sk hynix one?
It depends on exactly what you're doing with the PC, since there is a measurable performance loss, but from what I've seen: it is not significant enough that I'd replace a working 32GB stick with 2x16 that only gives you the same capacity. E.g. single channel DDR5 can even beat dual channel DDR4 in some benchmarks.

If it was me, I'd:
1. Identify exactly what your stick is and what it is running at, with CPU-Z or hwinfo.
2. If it is a JEDEC stick (which maximises your chance of no compatibility issues), buy another 16GB stick or 32GB stick of the same, or similar memory.

The situation might change if you're chasing FPS in esports, for example, or you were gaming with the IGP, but I'm assuming they don't apply.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies Tetras.

The ram I have is Sk Hynix HMCG88MEBSA095N 32gb 5600 clock 2800
Timings are 42-42-42-82

I can't find this particular stick unfortunately, looking on crucial it gives me Crucial 32GB DDR5-5600 SODIMM
I'm not completely up with how the timing work and change, especially when it lowers them to 5200, but the timings for the crucial say the default jedec is 46-45-45 which seem a bit worse, once both are lowered to 5200 would they then both run at 42cl?

I have thought I might just try to add another 32gb to match rather than trying to make it faster, which I probably don't really need.

Man of Honour
I'm not completely up with how the timing work and change, especially when it lowers them to 5200, but the timings for the crucial say the default jedec is 46-45-45 which seem a bit worse, once both are lowered to 5200 would they then both run at 42cl?
Can you please take and share a screenshot of CPU-Z SPD tab with the module you own selected (and the memory tab would be nice too), it will help a lot to answer/clarify these questions.

The most common JEDEC speeds/timings for DDR5 are:
- 4800 CL40
- 5200 CL42
- 5600 CL46

once both are lowered to 5200 would they then both run at 42cl?
Probably, yes, but if you don't have a configurable BIOS, then it depends what has been programmed into the sticks.

Man of Honour
Sure here they are.
Cool.

So, this appears to be a boring JEDEC stick, no XMP/EXPO is present.

It has normal JEDEC speed/timings programmed into it.

It can run at 5600, but your PC has it configured for 5200 @ CL42.

It would be nice to recommend a stick that also uses SK Hynix memory chips, but I'm afraid I'm not sure which ones do.

Kingston's configurator here, doesn't have 5200 listed, only 4800 or 5600:

If I open the datasheet of a Kingston 5600 module here, it only says this: "The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR5-5600 timing of46-45-45 at 1.1V."

Not helpful, since Kingston usually list all of the speeds/timings (they do with DDR4).

If I check a Crucial stick, e.g.

The same thing, they just say (for 5600): 46-45-45.

There's no confirmation that either of these sticks are programmed for 5200 @ CL42.

That's not very helpful I'm afraid, it is hard to recommend either of these sticks and I don't know who else sells JEDEC SODIMMs.

Man of Honour
Thank you but if a tricky one. Hopefully I can find someone who maybe has the same laptop who had already tried.

Thanks for the help you have given me.
You're welcome.

Yeah, it is tricky..., I would be very surprised if 5600 JEDEC standard memory doesn't already have the profiles, so that it can downclock to 5200 successfully, but it is strange that Crucial and Kingston don't actually list them.

I think Crucial have a compatibility guarantee that if their checker say it'll work and and it doesn't, then you can return it, which might be the safest option in the circumstances.

Associate
OP
So, i took the plunge and got the 32gb of kingston fury ram, which went smoothly.
I have posted new screen shots from cpu-z. would you say they look ok, and hasn't slowed anything down as i thought it might? i didn't think it would stay at 5600mhz, but I think it may have?

Man of Honour
I have posted new screen shots from cpu-z. would you say they look ok, and hasn't slowed anything down as i thought it might? i didn't think it would stay at 5600mhz, but I think it may have?
It looks like it is running @ 5600, yes. You might want to download hwinfo to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom