DELETED_23244

Soldato
Unlike Guild Wars, CoH/V are proper MMO's although a lot of the missions etc are in instanced areas which at least stops people spawn camping them.

What I mean by saying its very similar to Guild Wars is the style of gameplay. Its just mindlessly killing things over and over with missions that are all the same. Its almost as if they have just changed the graphics and story a bit and given it a different name. Saying that CoH/V has better PvP than Guild Wars, but it does still get boring after a short while.

Thats how CoV felt to me anyway.

Soldato
Despite the fact that CoH is very slick and polished, it just didn't grab me. I like exploring in mmorpgs, and the city setting just didn't make me want to see what was next.

Best character generation system I've ever seen in any game though - if you can imagine a superhero, you can bet you can create it.

Associate
City of heros/City of villains in my opinion is nothing like guild wars at all.

Basically it's a bit of fun MMO not meant to be taken too seriously at all. As for the missions being all the same, they are not. You start out in Atlas Park under a huge statue of Atlas where it is best to hunt till level 5 which takes all of an hour at most. After that head to The Hollows which is basically a danger zone where you can hunt and do missions to your hearts content, here is where you will make great friends but also find people who you will avoid for the rest of the game :p. The Hollows is your home up until around level 14 When you get your travel power (Super Speed, Fly, Superjump or Teleport) This is when the game starts to pick up as you can now explore the other zones in 'relative' safety. All throughout the game it is ever changing and picks up pace the higher you get. The level 40-50 game especially is frantic.
As was said in an earlier post the character creation screen is probably the best out of all the MMO's, certainly giving you the most choice i've seen. The community is next to none, and the graphics/activation animations for powers are the most realistic i've came across in MMO's.
It's worth a go.

[Edit - If you decide to give it a try send me a PM on here and i'll pop on to help you get your bearings.]

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, City of Heroes was realeased over a year before Guild Wars, so how is it a copy of it? :o

It's worth playing if you don't fancy being a freakin' elf/knight/warrior whatever same old crap that all the other mmporg's churn out.

Maybe i'm a little biased, i have been playing for about 10 months. :p

Soldato
CoH/CoV isn't like most mmo's on the market, there's no equiptment, no loot and no tradeskills, the game is primary combat, it doesn't attract many hard core players.
I've tried to introduce players from my AO and WoW guilds in the past, most played for a couple of weeks then quit, the games not for everybody.

Me, i've been playing since beta and absolutly love it, i've played a few mmorpg's and CoH/CoV has the best combat system in my opinion, fast paced and feels more involved then other games.

CoH/CoV's equivilant to loot is enhancements, these randomly drop from mobs and you can use them to increase the effectivness of your powers, if an enhacement does drop, it's automatically put into your inventory. There's no fighting over who should get what or no slow down while you loot downed mobs.

Mobs in both games are mainly villian groups with a couple of hero groups thrown into CoV, at lower levels most mobs act the same but as you progress your introduced to different villian groups and some old villian groups pick up new abilities. My favourite group would have to the freakshow.
feakshow.jpg

Also unlike most MMORPG's, i've yet to run across a damn dragon!

If you have a good spec machine and can crank the game up to high settings, the game can look quite impressive, most powers are big and flashy with a loud soundeffect to go with it, when you fire off a "nuke" power, the rest of the teams going to know about it. We did have a few screenshots in other threads but they seem to have disappeared.

Loads of other aspects of the games i could go into but i'm far too lazy. :p

Soldato
dbmzk1 said:
You shouldn't because its basically just a clone of Guild Wars only with a different setting and story. Nothing special or different.

Its absolutely nothing like guild wars, its a proper MMOPRG. As you can get both COH and COV quite cheap, you get two games with one subscription.

Soldato
can you buy a six month/year contract for this, i haven't played since coh beta. Can't be bothered with direct debits would just rather pay the limp sum.

Soldato
CoH is a much better pick up and play game than anyother online RPG i've come across, plus its so much easier to find a group and go do some missions.

WoW bored me as the end game content required a lot of time and effort, whereas CoH doesn't.

Sure its a shallower game than the others, but for people like me who dont have days at a time to dedicate to the game then its perfect, plus the whole superheroe thing is great and much more fun than re-doing instance runs to get some special dagger. In CoH anyone can get high end content no matter how little you have to play on a daily basis.

Soldato
Im interested in this as well.

WOW seems too "Geeky" as with most MMORPG's ive played - Hey ho

I remember a playing a free demo of DAOC, I got told off for not talking in "Character" :eek:

Associate
I've played it a bit but got bored - theres a lot of levelling up to be done, which can get VERY repetitive. However if you do want to go for it, it's a good idea to read some guides before creating your Hero cos you don't want to start developing dead-end skills (i.e. if you want to learn how to fly, you want to concentrate on getting the appropriate earlier skills rather than something you will not use later on)

Having played this and a few others (including WoW, Eve etc) I'd agree with a previous poster that there are lots of people who play it for "fun", it doesn't have the hardcore factor that affects some of the other games (WoW for instance ;))

Back
Top Bottom