Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Soldato
OP
But you've had at least 4 years to get some skills and there are admin jobs that can be done from home that don't require much more than data entry or answering the telephone. you could be a virtual PA for someone etc..
I think the key word is "could". In reality I doubt many companies would hire someone they haven't met in person, especially if they have a disability. Also a common issue every worker faces is when you've had no recent employment (or education) it is a red flag.

Also how many companies actually embrace technology? The amount of time wasted going to appointments to have a consultation when it could be done over the phone, or video call, is still very high.

There is still a rigid work system in this country that the vast majority of companies won't bend on anything. The over saturation of immigrant workers means it is easier just to hire someone else.

I remember in the 90s typing to people on the Internet in the US that worked from home doing telesales. But as far as I can see this never came over here, at least on a noticeable scale.

Caporegime
That would be pretty sensible of them, like usually when people die they'd leave something behind for their offspring and the median household wealth in the UK is £300k so they'd expect plenty of people would no longer be eligible in such a situation.
Middle numbers don't tell the real story though do they

meanwhile in the real world
What are the average savings in the UK? According to a 2024 Finder survey, the average person in the UK has £11,185 in savings. However, almost half of Brits (46%) have £1,000 or less in savings, meaning they would struggle to cover living expenses for more than a month.

anyway I mentioned it because of the fact the DWP accountants are asking people why they withdrew money from a bank account and what they spent it on, as it its something only criminals would do.

their job isn't to find out what people spent money on it's to see if anyone is breaking the 6k savings rule.
if someone is withdrawing small sums of money every day or whatever it's none of their business.
its not a crime to use cash

the real fraud seems to be happening on m,ass scale and big numbers like those Romanians who scammed 50mil in child benefit or whatever it was

they should get those accountants looking at mps income whilst they are at it and the panama papers

Last edited:
Caporegime

They do, that's why they're used rather than the mean which is skewed a bit by the wealthiest.

What are the average savings in the UK?

Why ignore wealth and just look at a fraction of it? The fact is the median household wealth is 300k, so in many cases, a parent passing away would easily put them over the 6k in savings.

I think the key word is "could". In reality I doubt many companies would hire someone they haven't met in person, especially if they have a disability. Also a common issue every worker faces is when you've had no recent employment (or education) it is a red flag.

That's rather missing the point, most companies require you to come into the office. That doesn't negate that remote work exists even for basic things like VPAs.

Caporegime
Why ignore wealth and just look at a fraction of it? The fact is the median household wealth is 300k, so in many cases, a parent passing away would easily put them over the 6k in savings.
median is massively boosted by the few percent, it doesnt mean the average family has 300k net worth

Caporegime
I think you're getting confused with the mean either that or you don't know what an average is.
is it something like this
uhH7HTj.jpeg

Where you can put a bunch of small numbers at one end, a bunch of big numbers at the other, and pretend everyone has the median? or is it calculated differently when it comes to government statistics?

Caporegime
Where you can put a bunch of small numbers at one end, a bunch of big numbers at the other, and pretend everyone has the median? or is it calculated differently when it comes to government statistics?

No one is pretending everyone has the median. Now try comparing with the mean and put some big numbers at the end, what do you see happen? Which is skewed more by the big numbers?

Now which average would you use here if you don't want it to be skewed as much?

And:

median is massively boosted by the few percent, it doesnt mean the average family has 300k net worth

What measure of "average" are you referring to there?

Soldato
Jeez, that mean/ median thing comes up again and again, doesn't it.

If you have five people, earning £1, £2, £3, £4, £1,000 the median is £3 and the mean is £202.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No one is pretending everyone has the median. Now try comparing with the mean and put some big numbers at the end, what do you see happen? Which is skewed more by the big numbers?

Now which average would you use here if you don't want it to be skewed as much?

And:

What measure of "average" are you referring to there?
well https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/apr/17/who-owns-england-thousand-secret-landowners-author
that kinda move the "median" a long the bar a long way for a start

In 2020, the ONS calculated that the richest 10% of households hold 43% of all wealth. The poorest 50%, by contrast, own just 9%.

If you have five people, earning £1, £2, £3, £4, £1,000 the median is £3 and the mean is £202.
yea so the average person must have 202 in their pocket right?

When the poorest 50% own 9% of all the wealth in the country median is a number that means nothing....

How about we take the bottom 70% of the UK, then do the median again and see what the number is, I'm guessing its a lot more realistic

Last edited:
Caporegime

No, it doesn't, how have you concluded that the "1%" have moved the median along the bar a long way for a start? By definition they're only 1% of the bar... go and re-read how to calculate a median as it seems the main issue here is that you still haven't grasped it.

Note you claimed the median didn't represent the average but you don't seem to have been able to suggest what does represent the average or what you even think you mean by "average"?

See in your reply to @potatolord there you're citing the mean of £202 not the median, if you look again you'll see the median is £3 right? See the difference?

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, it doesn't, how have you concluded that the "1%" have moved the median along the bar a long way for a start? By definition they're only 1% of the bar... go and re-read how to calculate a median as it seems the main issue here is that you still haven't grasped it.
is it because that 1% own half of England? they might only be 1% of the bar but they represent about half of it in reality.
and the poorest 50% own 9%?

you know if the bar was turned into a scale which way it would fall right?

The average number when the gap between poor and wealth is so massive, is meaning less.

you think the average person you see in the street has 300k networth? cos thats what your median is telling me

Last edited:
Caporegime
is it because that 1% own half of England?
and the poorest 50% own 9%?

you know if the bar was turned into a scale which way it would fall right?

And which would be impacted more by that - the mean or the median?

you think the average person you see in the street has 300k networth? cos thats what your median is telling me

Household - half of the households in the UK have at least 300k if not much more. 300k is the minimum for half of the country - or was back in 2020, it's perhaps increased now.

So back to the topic - it's hardly surprising that the death of a parent might involve a check to see whether there are more than 6k in savings now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
And which would be impacted more by that - the mean or the median?
so what your telling me is when bezos and zuckerborg moved to hawaii, suddenly the average net wealth of Hawaiians population massively increased, and now everyone living there is a lot better off.
or does it just look that way on paper with a certain formula, one which has almost no reflection of reality

Last edited:
Caporegime
so what your telling me is when bezos and zuckerborg moved to hawaii, suddenly the average net wealth of Hawaiians population massively increased, and now everyone living their is a lot better off.
or does it just look that way on paper with a certain formula, one which has almost no reflection of reality

No, if you're making an argument like that then I'm just telling you that you still don't understand what the median is and why it's different to taking the mean.

Last edited:
Soldato

When the poorest 50% own 9% of all the wealth in the country median is a number that means nothing....

How about we take the bottom 70% of the UK, then do the median again and see what the number is, it won't be anywhere near 300k

usually when people die they don't leave 300k of stuff behind.

Median is an irrelevant skewed number, it doesn't represent how the majority of the country actually are. even if it is the "median"

surely everyone sees the logic here or am I truly backwords ?

No- that mean doesn't get distributed, it's just a calculation.

This is a good way to understand the difference;
The mean number of legs a person has in the UK is 1.98 legs, as some people have lost one or both legs.
The median number of legs a person in the UK has is 2.

Wealth is slightly different- a lot of that is property. You can have a low income, with relatively high wealth (house owned outright)- plenty of pensioners in that position.

To take your hawaii example, yes- on average the mean wealth would increase- but that's spread across a population of millions, so not much. The median would likely not shift at all.

Last edited:
Associate

What are the average savings in the UK? According to a 2024 Finder survey, the average person in the UK has £11,185 in savings. However, almost half of Brits (46%) have £1,000 or less in savings, meaning they would struggle to cover living expenses for more than a month.

anyway I mentioned it because of the fact the DWP accountants are asking people why they withdrew money from a bank account and what they spent it on, as it its something only criminals would do.

their job isn't to find out what people spent money on it's to see if anyone is breaking the 6k savings rule.
if someone is withdrawing small sums of money every day or whatever it's none of their business.
its not a crime to use cash

the real fraud seems to be happening on m,ass scale and big numbers like those Romanians who scammed 50mil in child benefit or whatever it was

they should get those accountants looking at mps income whilst they are at it and the panama papers
They don't look at certain groups, it is very easy for hit the poor as they don't really have access to any legal system anymore. You can say thanks to Cameron for that.

Associate
People will be voting for more of it I expect.

The most important thing is, getting the Tories out and that means voting Labour as they are the only party that stand a chance of wiping the Tories out. I'm seeing a lot of Liberal Democrat signs up outside peoples home... if people vote for that party again then the Tories will remain.

As far as I'm aware, you can legally have an ISA account or savings account or both while on sickness benefits. Your only allowed up to 6K savings so it really doesn't matter what bank accounts you have or what type of accounts you have. The first 6 grand isn't counted and anything over you'll have to pay back. There is often a lot more to these stories.

Last edited:
Associate

When looking at wealth per person on a country-by-country basis, is it more important to look at median wealth or average?

Even better explanation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom