DIV's and z-indexing in IE.

Soldato
Looks exactly the same in IE as it does in FF to me, unless I'm being really thick.

OT: But I like the menu system you've got going there.

Permabanned
OP
:confused: My IE doesn't show it.

Also absolute positioning makes it static in the browser, does relative positioning or fixed or whatever stop this. E.g. at 1024x768 the DIV is in a different position to 1600x1200

Firefox:

ff.gif

IE:

ie.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
With the margin for the container at auto for both left and right it should automatically stick in the middle. As long as the body margin and padding are set to 0.

EDIT: When I click your links I get a 404.

Soldato
iCraig said:
Also absolute positioning makes it static in the browser, does relative positioning or fixed or whatever stop this. E.g. at 1024x768 the DIV is in a different position to 1600x1200
Yes, position: relative; will, as long as you don't move it i.e. with any of the top, right, bottom, or left properties. It will gain the properties of a positioned element, but won't move from where it should normally be.

However, absolute positioning can be relative too, in fact it's always relative to something. Just make sure to give its containing element the positioned property, as above, and then you can position the child element relative to its edges. Otherwise the element gets positioned relative to the edge of the browser/<body>, hence why you get different results at different resolutions :).

Permabanned
OP
Mr_L said:
With the margin for the container at auto for both left and right it should automatically stick in the middle. As long as the body margin and padding are set to 0.

EDIT: When I click your links I get a 404.

:confused: The container DIV is fine, its the overlaying DIV that isn't displaying correctly. Especially in IE, where its not even displaying :(

The HTML:

Code:
  <div id="NewsContent">
    <h1>Header Test</h1>
    <h2>Sub header test</h2>
    <p>Text test</p>
  </div>

The CSS

Code:
DIV#NewsContent {
    z-index: 3;
    width: 637px;
    height: 312px;
    border: 12px #FFFFFF solid;
    background-color: #E0E0E0;
    position: absolute;
    left: 544px;
    bottom: 660px;    
}

Check the pics above to see the problem.

Just to repeat, the DIV displays in the correct place in Firefox at 1600x1200, but not in any other resolution.

And in IE is doesn't even display.

I can see why IE gets slated now, no support for z-indexing? I don't know :(

Back
Top Bottom