Do Google Pixel Phones have an issue with signal / reception?

Soldato
Just been looking on hot uk deals at some pixel deals, and a few people on there were saying that the Pixel 6,7 and 8 all have poor signal strength and weak modems. Any truth in this? Any experiences?

Last edited:
Soldato
No issues here in the UK with my 6 Pro. But my guess is it's because we had phones with Exynos modems for ages. Only when I went to abroad to a country where Samsung uses Qualcomm instead, I noticed reception issues.

Soldato
Yes if you're in a weak signal area. It's crap at getting the best signal possible in a bad area.

If you already have a good signal then it's fine.

The phone also get quite warm to got on mobile data. Beacuse of the crap modem. Even on the 8 Pro

Last edited:

pre

pre

Associate
Yes the modem is terrible if you have poor 5G reception which is probably less common in the UK but is a commonly reported US problem.

Soldato
I had 3 6 Pros and they were awful. I was glad to get rid of the phone in the end.

I recall a couple of occasions where I had zero signal at all and yet my other half was fine with her OnePlus 8T on the same network in the same location.

Associate
It all depends on signal strength in your area. My 6 pro is fine most of the time as the signal is great at home. But when I'm out and about in a poor signal area my phone heats up and struggles for data.
I never noticed the heating up, but probably never really that far away from a WiFi spot or some signal either. Flag it to Google though and see what they say, they've been absolutely incredible when I've had to RMA things with them even past their warranty date.

Soldato
I never noticed the heating up, but probably never really that far away from a WiFi spot or some signal either. Flag it to Google though and see what they say, they've been absolutely incredible when I've had to RMA things with them even past their warranty date.
It's definitely a known thing. They've improved it a little with software updates. But it's a poor modem, so there's only so much they can do. Just have to live with it until I decide to change my phone.

Most of the time I'm in a good signal area, so it's not a huge issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
The modem issue will be a long time thing. Qualcomm doesn't sell their modems for cheap and usually try bundle it with other things, especially their own SoCs. Samsung is the next best alternative and Google probably is getting these for cheap. There are other 5G modems but I have no idea how well they do compared to the main two. Developing their own will be extremely difficult, even Apple is struggling to produce a decent 5G modem, they acquired Intel's modem division years ago but can't yet match Qualcomm's.

... Which makes me wonder, even with the rumoured future Tensor chip moving to TSMC, will Google still stick with Exynos for the modems?

Back
Top Bottom