Do people use KVMs nowadays?

Associate
I have a relatively high-level question: are people using KVMs nowadays? Right now, I'm using this thing:

I bought it like 10 years ago and it's starting to get rather dodgy, with the video cutting out quite often, so I started looking for replacements and, well... I'm pretty disappointed. Yeah, there are KVM solutions out there, but the affordable ones seem to be very limited compared to what I have now. They're generally for switching one monitor between multiple machines, or with a dual monitor setup, switching *all* monitors at once. This thing I have now lets me route each HDMI/DVI input individually to whatever output monitor I want, so I can have my left monitor displaying an input from PC1 and my right monitor displaying an input from PC2; I can even have 3 or 4 devices connected. Basically I can just treat each video input separately and not worry about whether it's two inputs forming a dual-screen display, or one input forming the entire display.

Do people just not have multi-PC setups at home nowadays? Do they dedicate one monitor to each PC? Why is it still so hard to find a decent affordable KVM? I did find some ones that seemed to be more sophisticated and possibly do what I want like this:

But the price jumps up insanely to about $1000 (from maybe $100 before?)

Soldato
Was looking at this myself since im building systems regularly now and wouldn't mind being able to switch all my mouse and keyboard and monitor to another system at a push of a switch. Unfortunately, there are some real dodgy ones and its all trial and error tbh.

Soldato
I do wish PCs came with IPMI but with modern PCs I just set them up and RDP into them when needed. Multi-monitor setups seem to attract little attention from reviewers so manufacturers don't seem to bother. One trick I've employed in the past is colour separation: the keyboard and mouse for PC #1 are one colour, those for PC #2 are another.

Soldato
I work from home and use a USB switch.

I have the switch connected to my laptop and to my desktop PC and it detects whichever 1 is on and I can use my keyboard and mouse on either.

For the monitor I have a DP cable running to my desktop and an HDMI cable running to my laptop and again this detects what 1 is on and works with it.

If I do need to have then both on at once then I can use the monitor on screen display to change the output and the USB switch has a button I can use to toggle between the 2.

Soldato
got a kvm built into my monitor
though not actually tested to see what
can actually do with it
as only got 1 pc nowadays
other than if i plug a samsung phone/tablet in
can use dex mode

the blurb says
"A KVM hub is built in with USB-C, B, and A ports.
You can bind video inputs to the ports so a single keyboard and mouse can control multiple systems like a PC, console, or laptop"

Associate
I have a KVM built into my (BenQ) monitor and love it. I have my own system with a dual monitor setup and at the flick of a switch can use my company laptop to WFH with two screens.

Associate
I have a TESmart KVM switch which can do 2x 4k @ 60Hz. Lets you do one or both, you can pick it up for £180. To be honest I rarely use it though, I generally just RDP into the 2nd machine because then you can choose exact res/size, unless you're doing something where the audio delay is an issue it's almost as good. I can often be RDP'd into the machine and forget I'm not in the native system, it's responsive enough for most tasks.

Man of Honour
I've a USB switch (made by Aten) and my main monitor has the ability to macro port switching to the buttons usually used for quick brightness, etc. yes it means 2 buttons need to be pressed to get both input and video switched but I've found dedicated KVMs in the past a bit overkill for my needs while not always being the best for gaming mice and high refresh display support and this setup just works.

Audio wise I don't have a solution - currently have a pair of headphones for each of the main systems - which is extra faff but again I've found KVMs often degrade audio quality a bit when you are using higher quality soundcards and headphones.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I never worked from home I would not have 1 either.

Just makes life easier and no longer have to keep moving my keyboard\mouse between the 2.

Soldato
I still use an old Aten 4 port one I bought years ago. Probably over 10 years old. I only really use it to switch between laptop, desktop PC and occasionally server if I have to boot it and go into BIOS. I only use it for laptop and desktop keyboard and mouse. The video I have go direct to the monitor and manually switch inputs. This way it is not restricting the resolution and refresh through the KVM switch.

Associate
I find that the Logitech software solution to use a single mouse and keyboard with multiple computers has replaced and KVM's I used to have.

Of course, it doesn't deal with the 'V' though! Need a few screens

Soldato
I certainly did used to use a KVM years ago. More recently I have tended to use the alternative input on my monitor to switch between machines, and then also switch the MX keys and logi mouse between devices as well.

Maybe a little more fiddly, but I don't think I would want the extra cabling/device on the desk anymore.

Associate
OP
Trouble is, it looks like the monitors with KVM built in still only switch between 2 devices. I usually have at least 3 setup, my main machine, my work laptop, and my older Linux box. How come you guys only have one main PC? What do you do with all the old PCs you're left with when you get an upgraded system? lol

Soldato
Trouble is, it looks like the monitors with KVM built in still only switch between 2 devices. I usually have at least 3 setup, my main machine, my work laptop, and my older Linux box. How come you guys only have one main PC? What do you do with all the old PCs you're left with when you get an upgraded system? lol
We sell them
On members market :)

Back
Top Bottom