Dock Recommendations

Associate
I am currently got a M3 MPB 14" from work. I also have a Thinkpad T490 for personal use. I've been using a USB-C dock with the T490.

What i will be connecting to
- 1 Monitor [HDMI]
- 1 Keyboard [USB A]
- 1 Microphone [USB A]
- 1 Headphones [3.5]
- Possibly ethernet.

I have a BT mouse so , thats one less port to worry about.

In the the market for a dock which ideally should allow me to swap out MPB to T490 , so looking at compatibility. I don't think there is a need for both of them to be connected at the same time, but would be nice to have more than necessary. I am sort of couch surfing until i get my own place next month , but from what i read the USB-C dock will not work for MPB. I know the most recommended ones are Caldigit TS4 or some OWC models. I can look to spend £200-300 on it, but then also don't really want to get something which is an overkill for my usage. On the budget i can pick up a used TS4 on ebay , but have no idea on reliability.
CalDigit TS3/+ seems much cheaper and might work?

Please let me know if you have a better recommendation

Man of Honour
I use the TS3+ but after 3 years or so it's been having some random connection issues. I'm using a work supplied Dell dock now.

Associate
OP
I use the TS3+ but after 3 years or so it's been having some random connection issues. I'm using a work supplied Dell dock now.

I use one from Dell too (work supplied) should be absolutely fine for what you need OP.

Sorry gents , which dell dock is this? I have a lenovo USB-C version. Pretty sure its this one and not the universal dock (which seems newer). The one i have was picked up 3/4 years ago. Would that work with the MPB? I ask as i don't want to nuke it or something on connection lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sorry gents , which dell dock is this? I have a USB-C version. Pretty sure its this one and not the universal dock (which seems newer). The one i have was picked up 3/4 years ago. Would that work with the MPB? I ask as i don't want to nuke it or something on connection lol.
WD19TB I think. I refer the Calldigit if I'm honest, might see if I can work out why it's acting weird.

Associate
I use the 'Microsoft Surface Thunderbolt 4'. It has USB C, 2.5GBE and can power 2x 3440 x 1440 screens ( One is limited to 60hz whilst using the other at 175hz ) all from a single USB C. The Caldigit TS4 seems to have the same issue of resolution limits so I think it may be a USB C issue.

Can be picked up for £150-200 if you look about which is about half the price of the Caldigit TS4.

I use it with a Macbook Pro M1, Macbook Air M3 and An Asus G14 with a 4090.

Don't buy it from here, its cheaper at loads of places but a link so you can have a nosey. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/d/surface-thunderbolt-4-dock/8x7cgh1n2tb2

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I use the 'Microsoft Surface Thunderbolt 4'.
That looks nice, I've been looking for one with 2.5 GbE that's cheaper than the TS4. My only issue is the USB-C cable on the side, I wish it was on the back. It's the same issue I have with my Dell dock.

Back
Top Bottom