Dodgy LGA 1156 connectors on some boards!

Associate
Well i've just had a look at my chip and i can confirm every single pin is connecting properly to the CPU. So obviously this isn't a fault with every Foxconn socket.
Probably a slight manufacturing fault that is effecting SOME Foxconn sockets. Nothing for me to worry about any more, time for me to move along.
Now to get myself that H50.

Soldato
I've checked on my EVGA P55 F.T.W board, and thankfully I have the LOTES socket.

lotes1.jpg

Having said that the people that have had the problems are putting crazy voltages through the CPU's, 1.648v to be precise :eek: see the thread here
couple69, the socket itself could still be Foxconn . . . . .

This is what mine looks like, mine has no name on the backplate either yet some have Foxconn on them. (second pic not my board just for description/info purposes)

biostari55socket.jpg
socketcloseup.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I tell you what though I've just checked my CPU under a light with a magnyfying glass & all the gold plates on mine are firmly inprinted against the socket so theirs no problem with mine at all lol. :) :) :)

I havent got a digital cam, otherwise I would take a pic as proof. :(

Associate
Whats your opinion on this socket 1156 problem is it as bad as people are saying or just limited to a few across all makes?

If there is a problem will there be a revised 1156 socket release because as it stands right now a lot of buyers will be put off as it's not just the extreme overclockers that are having problems if you believe everything you read :confused:

Associate
Whats your opinion on this socket 1156 problem is it as bad as people are saying or just limited to a few across all makes?

If there is a problem will there be a revised 1156 socket release because as it stands right now a lot of buyers will be put off as it's not just the extreme overclockers that are having problems if you believe everything you read :confused:

Well simply on the fact that I have a foxcon socket and its fine along with another poster above me makes me feel things are being blown out of proportion, just like everything on the net.
I wouldn't worry about it. The way it was reported and people where posting on other sites you'd think that every foxcon socket has a problem, but it clearly doesn't.
One thing you'll notice very quickly with the internet is how quickly misinformation spreads.

Associate
SOooo,

I take it that it doesn't make much difference if all the pins make contact or not on a CPU/socket interface?

:rolleyes:

It will do because that is the crux of the problem. Pins either making no contact or insufficient contact and high volts.
I would guess even systems that have poor pin contact under normal usage would still be problematic, but probably wont be come apparent quite as quickly.

Soldato
Hey hey,

My ASUS ROG Maximus III GENE mobo has a Foxconn socket.

Yoinked out the chip to have a quick goggle. Yup, all the gold pads had dents in them from the pins.

Also used it as an excuse to put some mx-2 on it to replace the stock paste, if I said it looked like the mx-2 made a difference to temps I'd be lying, still, I'm not pushing it far.

Not linked to this but I don't really think I can be bothered overclocking, I mean I've overclocked it for gaming and there's just no difference worth phoning home about. 3.5ghz vs 4ghz, a few fps difference in hundreds of fps for some things, L4D is capped and doesn't care either. All in all my games library doesn't think much of it -_-

17k 3dmarks is good enough for me :)

Last edited:
Soldato
i have just checked mine and there is loads of pads with out any dents. I know people are saying it only has to do with super high clocks and votage, but it must do something to the chip and board in the long run?

Associate
i have just checked mine and there is loads of pads with out any dents. I know people are saying it only has to do with super high clocks and votage, but it must do something to the chip and board in the long run?

Personally myself i'd send it back for a replacement. Hopefully someone with more technical knowledge can explain how many bad contacts you can get away with.

Last edited:
Associate
Could this be anything to do with the board flexing due to the cooler?

If you read the thread I linked then you can see that different boards using different coolers have produced EXACTLY the same mark patterns.
The marks are also reported to be made straight off when the socket clamp is engaged - before the cooler even comes into play.
So no, not really.

Soldato
I had similiar, sometimes one of the pins doesn't make proper contact and it relates to the 3rd DIMM slot so the PC only shows 4gb RAM not 6gb, so I just nudge the CPU and it's fine. It always happens when I swap the CPU etc

Permabanned
like i said before...only asus,evga and gigabyte...forget the rest as they are inferior..i dont care what anybody says even if they are the "Queens official computer expert"

Back
Top Bottom