Does anyone else struggle day by day, week by week with work?

Soldato
Bit of a bland title, didn't really know what else to type.

But just the thought of work, for example on a Sunday, generally bringing the day down and worrying about getting prepped for Monday, a gloomy day, always feels so dark and dismal.

Then the thought of the working week, it's almost as if you're looking up at this impossible to climb mountain that you have to climb but you're feeling so lethargic already.

I do 12 hour shifts Mon,Tue, Thursday, every other week do 4 hours on a Saturday, but I can't fathom why I still feel like the week is so dismal when I have more time off than people on conventional 5 day week, I get Wednesday off, Friday off and then Saturday/Sunday, Wednesday is generally the day I have to myself but just sleep to try and replenish my energy after the 8-8's. Other days I'm with the family and it's generally non-stop.

The thought of work just makes me want to run for the hills at the moment. Maybe it's the time of the year?

I sometimes think perhaps it's my job, but, every job will have some cons attached to it, mine is speaking to angry peoples as I work in a bank, and, generally quite sensitive so I can feel quite aggravated when customers start going off on one at me and know there is nothing I can do about it and I have to just sit back and take it.

Soldato
Hello willhub.

Have you spoke with your GP recently to see if there's more to this than you think?

I hear what your saying, but to be employed must be better than fretting about no work and mounting bills? Having a family should be a wonderful thing? Building memories, spending quality time together?

Also, are there any training courses work can help you with to deal with the frustrations you feel in your job?

We can all let things get on top of us, but, it's important to find value and coping strategies in what we do. No one has a magic wand for this, and you need to help us know what 'good' looks like to you.

Soldato
I view work like that too, can't stand it (9-5 software engineering). Spending my days talking to people I don't like, trying to stop them doing dumb stuff, building software that will end up in the bin in 5-10 years. I keep running the sums on when I can retire, even though that would normally be 20-30 years away.

Associate
Just to add to what other posters say, have a think to what keeps you there, write a list to see if other jobs can offer the same. Using a day off as time to yourself because you're burnt out is a waste imo. When i've worked demanding jobs (physically or mentally), even if i enjoyed aspects of the role, leaving them was never regretted and i only wished i left them earlier.

The weather is certainly a drag, try some vitamin D supplements. Regular sleep pattern, better diet, exercise, etc.

Soldato
If you're genuinely dreading work on a Sunday evening then it's clearly not doing your health any good.

You might not necessarily look forward to work on a Monday, but if you're absolutely dreading it then you really need to look at a change.

Soldato
I feel like that about work. There are many reasons. I’m sure the shift pattern doesn’t help. Even though you have more actual ‘days’ off you’re still doing essentially the same amount of work. 12 hours versus 7-8 is a lot more daunting, I feel.

Associate
As some above said you should look for another job. Those hours must be hard as well if you have a family, your job should be a means of providing for your family.....not to overwhelm you. Even if you go for something for less money as long as it's not stressful.
If you are struggling mentally don't be afraid to ask for help, people will be understanding and supportive.

Soldato
I used to love my job. I'd do four 11-ish hour shifts per week & get three days off. But due to people leaving faster than they can recruit, things have gotten out of hand since Christmas. It's now more like five 12 hour shifts plus constant requests to do more, constant messages on days off asking for small tasks to be done, etc. As of this week, I'm not actually sure we have the staff to cover every trading hour.

Worse, the kitchen team are understaffed as well. So food service is slow, which means a constant stream of complaints. As a result, being at work isn't even pleasant any more.

My solution? I'm leaving. First interview is on Wednesday for a job that I have a good chance of getting. At the rate I'm applying for jobs, I'll have a new one by the end of the month even if I'm not immediately successful.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fingers crossed for your job search @McPhee. Assuming you’re in the restaurant / hospitality trade? I see never ending job ads for that so imagine you will get something quite quickly.

Soldato
Fingers crossed for your job search @McPhee. Assuming you’re in the restaurant / hospitality trade? I see never ending job ads for that so imagine you will get something quite quickly.

Yes.

My intention is to get out of hospitality. I've worked in hospitality & retail for 20 years now and I'd quite like my weekends back :cry:

But in the interest of making a speedy exit from my current post, I've started applying for hospitality jobs as well. I doubt it'll take long now I've widened the net.

Soldato
It's entirely normal to not particularly enjoy your job sometimes, not everyone can be fortunate enough to secure jobs doing something they love but it's not really normal, or healthy, to dread going to work to such an extent that it's ruining your weekends and to be honest, sounds like it's potentially making you depressed generally.

Start looking for another job before this one plunges you into a rut too deep to get out of.

Soldato
Your pattern sounds rough. You don't get enough time to switch off, despite cramming in 12hr shifts. Find a new job or adjust your shift pattern.

Soldato
Try to get a job that is 8 hours a day mon - fri and no more.

12 hour shift are bull, that is an old idea from the era of taking the pee out of workers.

Man of Honour
I used to, and to be honest there wasn't much more to it in my case than it just being a crap job. I'm sure some would want to read more into it than that, but basically it improved when I changed jobs.

Since then, I've gone through phases where maybe I've had some big issues hanging over me at work, like problems festering away that I don't have a solution for and know will come and bite me eventually, making it hard to relax with that worry in the background, but again that's quite temporal and task-centric.

Last edited:
Associate
I used to have a job like that. Hated every minute of it and I ended up having to stand outside for 20-30mins every morning having a smoke and trying to talk myself into going it. It really affected my mental health. I finally got out and found another job which I like and dont have that pressure on me. I would advise you to see your doctor to see if they can help with your mood and start looking for a new job. My wife has always said that I wouldnt still be alive if I had stayed in my old job as she could see what it was doing to me.

Try and get out asap lad for your health

Soldato
OP
@willhub what is it you do?

Don't get me wrong I don't love my job, but I tolerate it, certainly don't dread it, life it too short mate get another job.

I work in a bank for a collections department, and it's very stressful especially if customers are not happy and as banks are regulated heavily we have to try and ask all the required questions and carry out the required processes and sometimes it ends up in some sort of battle and customer's in my opinion do take it personally and start to get difficult and then threaten to log complaints directly. it's also a case that the slightest thing wrong and we get a "fail", there is no sort of 90% and above, and even if the amounts are within agreed % I still don't like the negative nature, and even then, it's always thinking about when you do a good job what else could you have done. There just is no smooth sailing and even then when it comes to money it's never going to be positive.

Soldato
I work in a bank for a collections department, and it's very stressful especially if customers are not happy and as banks are regulated heavily we have to try and ask all the required questions and carry out the required processes and sometimes it ends up in some sort of battle and customer's in my opinion do take it personally and start to get difficult and then threaten to log complaints directly. it's also a case that the slightest thing wrong and we get a "fail", there is no sort of 90% and above, and even if the amounts are within agreed % I still don't like the negative nature, and even then, it's always thinking about when you do a good job what else could you have done. There just is no smooth sailing and even then when it comes to money it's never going to be positive.

Yeah get a new job mate, don't leave just start looking/applying.

Back
Top Bottom