does anyone run a ads-b reciever

Soldato
looking at setting one up in the office, -because we can :) no real benefit other than the free FR24 sub and a little plaything for us to have some fun with.

would you guys mind sharing pics/details of your own setups

Soldato
OP
it seems very simple to put together - rasperry Pi - slap an antenna up (we would want to go for a comically large one mounted to the side of the building ) and fire on appropriate software from the FR24 site.

for us its a work project as we can then use it as a marketing gimmick to customers that we actually track flights ourselves rather than relying on 3rd parties (airport transfer/taxi company ) in reality its a cheap project to have a play about with gets us a free business account from FR24 (which covers the cost of all the kit required inside 6 months ) and acts as a nice little pet project for our IT apprentice to get stuck into who is an avid plane spotter

Commissario
Mine is a Raspberry Pi4, overclocked to 2 GHz with an Airspy mini dongle, an RTL-SDR-LNA and a Vinnant CC1090/8-P aerial at about 50' AGL. The Pi, receiver and amp are in a box at the top of my 10m mast, powered via PoE with an 8m coax tail up to the top where the aerial is.

Associate
I run one as well. I started with a FlightAware Pi image and added the FR24 as a 2nd feed. I 'm sure you can add more if you wanted. Like FR24 FlightAware give you premium access for feeding. I just used an old TV SDR dongle (RTL something or other) and the TV supplied antenna, since upgrade to a proper ads-b one and put it outside. Get better coverage but nothing like Feek has. Mine's a little directional, because of the way it's mounted I expect, but I can get over 200nm going south east.

Associate
Got an old raspberry pi in the loft with a cheap sdr dongle and small antenna from Amazon. Feed to flight radar and flight aware to get a subscription.

Doesn’t have great range, but was interesting to tinker with, and the subscriptions you get for free to flight radar and flight aware come unseal every now and then.

Soldato
Pretty much the same. Just used the tiny supplied ant with a cheap USB SDR. Get a few planes on it but really it's just on for the free FR24 and FA sub...

Back
Top Bottom