Does something need to be done about dogs?

Caporegime
Was going to create this thread a few days back after yet another child was killed by a dog however a further 3 attacks have taken place since then, including another child killed and 2 more seriously hurt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-60907487

A quick read on the matter came up with this sentence "fatal dog attacks have been increasing significantly over time which was not attributable to the increase in number of dogs".

Now the number of deaths isn't massive but is still too high, the main issue is the numbers of people injured. Its estimated for each fatality there are 200000 bites and 40000 serious injuries.

It's also ignoring the fact that owners are often violent due to confrontation over their dogs (something I've personally experienced), and aspects of animal neglect and cruelty.

Do we need to look at dog ownership and something to ensure only the right people can have a dog? My thought is yes, but how could we do this?

Caporegime
Without banning many breeds of dogs, which would be sad and wrong, I can’t see what can be done about it tbh.

dogs are as variable as humans. One can be as soft as a sack all it’s life while another can be a ticking time bomb. Even dog owner licenses wouldn’t stop dog attacks.

Caporegime
OP
Without banning many breeds of dogs, which would be sad and wrong, I can’t see what can be done about it tbh.

dogs are as variable as humans. One can be as soft as a sack all it’s life while another can be a ticking time bomb. Even dog owner licenses wouldn’t stop dog attacks.

So why are attacks increasing at levels way beyond ownership numbers?

Soldato
As well as currently microchipping them perhaps a small incendiary or high voltage death shock device should be implanted when born (because collars can be removed) and explode given a certain command, a bit like Alexa. I'd suggest "woof!" as good word.

Soldato
More research needed to understand the reasons. Eg are dogs that attack people trained or treated in particular ways, do owners think of them in particular ways etc, have there been any long term trends in behaviour or attitudes to dogs correlated with attacks etc. Doesn't seem clear what the actual cause of this is to me.

Maybe it is as simple as there being more irresponsible owners, maybe there are more abusive dog owners (which based on my stereotypes about what life was like in previous decades seems unlikely to me, but might be the case, who knows), but without more research how do we know.

I guess some compulsory basic training for owners might be beneficial to at least reduce unintentional negligence... Would be very hard to regulate and enforce for irresponsible owners though.

Caporegime
OP
Possibly a higher proportion of new dog owners are irresponsible.

Possibly but I will point out I've had issues across all age demographics.

For a bit of context I've been chomped at multiple times whilst out cycling as I used to do a heck of a lot of miles but mostly on cycle paths and shared spaces. I found the worst candidates to be older owners with 'little' dogs. Jack Russells and their various crosses being a particular menace as their owners frequently didn't bother or were unable to control them.

Caporegime
The owners of all these dogs involved in the attacks would probably get licenses very easily. But the dogs are still dangerous. The licensing argument is a totally pointless one. Many would just ignore it anyway.

Caporegime
OP
The owners of all these dogs involved in the attacks would probably get licenses very easily. But the dogs are still dangerous. The licensing argument is a totally pointless one. Many would just ignore it anyway.

So we just shrug our collective shoulders and sit happy with the knowledge that children are literally being torn to pieces?
Is it like a tax, or sacrifice?

Soldato
Non-dog owning people need to be educated as well.

I was out walking one of our dogs and a cyclist came bombing up behind us, it spooked the **** out of the dog and it's natural reaction was to bark, a very loud and scary Rhodesian Ridgeback bark. The cyclist had the audacity to tell me to keep the dog under control - what, put another lead on it?

I feel some people don't respect the nature of dogs or just don't understand dogs at all, especially children. Some can get too familiar with the family pet, push and prod etc and the dog will take it - but another dog may not. Owners can be blinkered by the love for their pet and fail to give it the discipline, it's place in the pack, that a dog must have.

A solution to this is to never ever ever leave children alone with a dog, regardless of it's breed, age, sex, size, upbringing or training. Or if you want some type of enforcement ban dogs completely from homes with children. Or go with my previously suggested implanted device idea. WOOF!

Soldato
A lot of owners humanise their dogs. They forget that they are pack animals and their needs to be a hierarchy.
This is why small dogs are nasty little gits...
Oh he's so cute I cant tell him off for pinching food off your plate.

Hes not pinching food hes claiming it as his own because the owners have let him become the pack leader.

Caporegime
Possibly but I will point out I've had issues across all age demographics.

For a bit of context I've been chomped at multiple times whilst out cycling as I used to do a heck of a lot of miles but mostly on cycle paths and shared spaces. I found the worst candidates to be older owners with 'little' dogs. Jack Russells and their various crosses being a particular menace as their owners frequently didn't bother or were unable to control them.

From a dogs point of view they are happily walking along and something unexpected comes whooshing up behind them.

I'm a dog owners and cyclist and I'm shocked at how.many cyclists don't make themselves known when approaching me from behind whilst I am walking my dog off the lead. Not that my dog is reactive at all to cyclists but she can suddenly change direction and could get run over.

But yes, I do find the smaller, yappy dogs the most aggressive. Generally because owners pick them up and cart them around like baby's and the dogs get elevated positions

Caporegime
OP
From a dogs point of view they are happily walking along and something unexpected comes whooshing up behind them.

I'm a dog owners and cyclist and I'm shocked at how.many cyclists don't make themselves known when approaching me from behind whilst I am walking my dog off the lead.

I often approached from the front.
Also to be clear, it's a cycle path, not a dog walking path therefore bikes should be expected by owners.
I might be wrong on this but also is it not a legal requirement to have your dog on a lead in a public space? We keep ours on a lead at all times unless we rent a free-run field.

Caporegime
I often approached from the front.
Also to be clear, it's a cycle path, not a dog walking path.
I might be wrong on this but also is it not a legal requirement to have your dog on a lead in a public space? We keep ours on a lead at all times unless we rent a free-run field.

No, you just have to be in control of your dog.

Mine listens to commands and does what she is asked.

I wouldn't walk her on a dedicated cycle path but they are often right alongside pedestrian paths with only a painted line to divide them.

Back
Top Bottom