Doing a spot of hiking

Caporegime
If you're going 12k you need good waterproof/wind protection.
yea its common sense to wear clothing for the weather.

comfy trainers/boots, decent light weight water proof trousers and a light weight jacket is all anyone really needs for the next few months in this country.

Smart watches are great for tracking stats and keeping motivation.

I've lost about 10kg over 5 months with my daily "hikes"

Lets face it diddums bought loads of gear for essentially what most people consider a dog walk

Last edited:
Caporegime
yea its common sense to wear clothing for the weather.

comfy trainers/boots, decent light weight water proof trousers and a light weight jacket is all anyone really needs for the next few months in this country.

Smart watches are great for tracking stats and keeping motivation.

I've lost about 10kg over 5 months with my daily "hikes"

For Sure.
Packing light makes it all more enjoyable.
I won't take thermos flasks in weather like we have now. As the weight of metal adds up. Just use a water bladder.
My 18l backpack is overkill unless I need to take waterproofs. Then it's perfect.

Man of Honour
Layers and don't underestimate how much water you'll use. Beyond that don't need anything special - obviously quality of footwear as mentioned many times makes a huge difference.

If going up mountains, etc. where it might be windy take a beanie or similar - always bemuses me to see otherwise very experienced hikers/climbers lose a baseball cap or brimmed hat up a mountain.

My 18l backpack is overkill unless I need to take waterproofs. Then it's perfect.

Yeah these days for anything like that I use a 15-18L sling pack now rather than a rucksack or backpack like I used to. Not that I do it much these days :(

He didn't actually buy all that gear in post #11, that's from a blog
:p

I'm disappointed by the seeming lack of a Mylar blanket and emergency waterproof poncho, tiny lightweight things which can make a huge difference if things don't go to plan.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Layers and don't underestimate how much water you'll use. Beyond that don't need anything special - obviously quality of footwear as mentioned many times makes a huge difference.

If going up mountains, etc. where it might be windy take a beanie or similar - always bemuses me to see otherwise very experienced hikers/climbers lose a baseball cap or brimmed hat up a mountain.

Yeah these days for anything like that I use a 15-18L sling pack now rather than a rucksack or backpack like I used to. Not that I do it much these days :(

Oh yeah. Head wear.

I actually prefer my head band vs a beanie.
I get very very hot walking.
I mean I got away with 1 leg layer and 2 upper layers in - 10 and no one else did.
I've worked out I need to start a walk slightly cold to be "right temp" on the walk.

Often beanies just trap too much heat for me. Although I did wear them in - 10. But in 0-10 a had band for my ears is fine.

Also. Take a head torch if risk of being out in dark.

I still like my 18l backpack as its so light. But I could get one of those really skinny ones for dry weather.

Edit
This is my headband. Bought it in Norway as I liked the colour! But I wear it more than any other hat.

9CfZUup.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Flask is my no 1 item and then snacks and lightweight pack away waterproofs.
The picnic is my favourite part.
When I did the Camino across Spain, poles were pretty essential and great for an upper body workout
In the Pyrenees on the start of my Camino

Screenshot-2024-04-24-15-18-42-44-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Flask is my no 1 item and then snacks and lightweight pack away waterproofs.
The picnic is my favourite part.
When I did the Camino across Spain, poles were pretty essential and great for an upper body workout
In the Pyrenees on the start of my Camino

Screenshot-2024-04-24-15-18-42-44-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
That is beautiful!

Soldato
Get a Camelbak or equivalent. I got one to go with a Dakine Heli skiing rucksack and can’t believe I used to ski without one. It’s been used for cycling and walking too. Bit small for the full three course picnic though…

Soldato
It's still pretty wet underfoot around here, Thursley Common is particularly soggy (and is my favourite of the local commons). The only things I'd suggest are essential are waterproof walking boots and probably some water and a snack. Komoot is a nice app for planning walks, as it shows you a list of cool little places like the Atlantic Wall on Hankley common etc.

Soldato
This is my typical UK winter setup for a day.
And an excuse for explicit image! :D

Osprey hikelite 18 backpack
Arc'teryx proton (seriously amazing bit of kit. I can wear that - 10c to +10c)
Acai thermal leggings (I also wore just those in - 10 wind chill in Norway).. Too hot for those now.
Hoka trail code Gtx boots.
Some thermal socks.

Pic from south Wales

I seem to be using this phrase more and more on here these days...

"Oh what a terrible day to have eyes..."

:p

Soldato
12km is not a lot for a hike… I often jog that..
Good socks is most important if your feet ain’t used to it. I prefer trail trainers to hiking boots, much more light weight.. terrex is my preferred brand.

Layer up rather than wearing anything big, your can put layers on or take them off as needed…

My go to list for a 12km hike on an unknown trail would be…

3/4 leggings or compression long pants
Combat shorts or pants..
Bamboo t shirt or vest..
Thin fleece
Wind breaker/waterproof jacket; in a backpack
Beanie

A lot of sports gear doubles up as hiking gear well, I often take a bikers scarf with me, doubles up as a lot…

gear wise, take a Bottle of water, a whistle and torch in case you have an emergency and a bar of nuts or something like peanut butter, banana spread in a wrap is great. More importantly take a battery pack and charging cable for your mobile.

I think I did 18km in the burning heat of turkey in sandals, shorts and Jordan vest in summer then a 10km the next day in Greece wearing all terrain trainers and just shorts.

Back
Top Bottom