Doing a spot of hiking

Caporegime
I've been a trail runner convert for years. Outside of the winter months, if I'm climbing and need crampons, I'll be wearing trainers. They're so much kinder on your feet, especially over longer distances.

Yep pair of altra trails and a pair of altra boots (more like extended trainers), absolutely bliss compared to old school boots.

Done a 3 nighter across snowdonia in the trail runners before. Was wet, but I still preferred the damp feet to comfort ratio.

Caporegime
Yep pair of altra trails and a pair of altra boots (more like extended trainers), absolutely bliss compared to old school boots.

Done a 3 nighter across snowdonia in the trail runners before. Was wet, but I still preferred the damp feet to comfort ratio.
i've done multiple multi-day ultras in the alps, covering up'to 370k and 29,000m of climbing, sometimes in snowstorm, thunderstorm, high alpine terrain, glaciers and UK winter spine race with mud, snow, ice etc. - all in trail running shoes. Heck, i've climbed several 4000m alpine peaks in trail running shoes with lightweight micro spikes and an ice axe.

There is really very little where they are not the best choice

Caporegime
i've done multiple multi-day ultras in the alps, covering up'to 370k and 29,000m of climbing, sometimes in snowstorm, thunderstorm, high alpine terrain, glaciers and UK winter spine race with mud, snow, ice etc. - all in trail running shoes. Heck, i've climbed several 4000m alpine peaks in trail running shoes with lightweight micro spikes and an ice axe.

There is really very little where they are not the best choice

That's very good going. What shoes do you use?

Waterproof? Gaiters too?

Soldato
I've walked miles in these crocs ,this is on my 2019 Camino (was a bit more scrawny then) would alternate with trainer's, the Spanish females were most impressed tbh

Screenshot-2024-04-25-21-21-14-84-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Soldato
Flask is my no 1 item and then snacks and lightweight pack away waterproofs.
The picnic is my favourite part.
When I did the Camino across Spain, poles were pretty essential and great for an upper body workout
In the Pyrenees on the start of my Camino

Screenshot-2024-04-24-15-18-42-44-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Every time you mention you walked the Camino, I become very envious. I'd love to do that.

Did you do the full route? How long did it take?

Soldato
Every time you mention you walked the Camino, I become very envious. I'd love to do that.

Did you do the full route? How long did it take?

Yes we did the full route 33 days I think Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela 500 miles but much more with our town exploring, you get a credential that is stamped in each town you stop off in , we used the donation only or cheap alburgues sometimes attached to churches (you need a credential to prove your a pilgrim as.they call you)
Santiago was totally buzzing with worldwide hikers
everyone super friendly, my ex random girls and couple here, we staid on for a while in Spain

Screenshot-2024-04-26-00-11-36-63-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Screenshot-2024-04-26-00-01-17-61-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Screenshot-2024-04-26-00-18-56-83-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Our packs were around 10 kg f,loads of YouTube Camino guides and packing lists

Last edited:
Man of Honour
On the subject of footwear - annoyed Merrell axed the Polarand 6 - look great and the grip on wet mud or ice was sublime but mine have seen better days now.

Caporegime
That's very good going. What shoes do you use?

Waterproof? Gaiters too?
normally i use Topo Athletic Ultraventure, not waterproof at all. For 99% of running activities waterproof shoes should be avoided like the plague. For hiking you can get away with them more often if very cold and wet but are not ideal. Waterproof shoes will let water in (generally going down your legs or over the ankle), then you are stuck with wet feet, thus the ability to drain, to breathe and dry put is far more important.

I don't use gaiters unless there is snow or rain. Gaiters essentially replace the need for any kind of boot in most situations

Associate
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not already but What3Words app might be worth having. Hopefully you never need it!

Caporegime
normally i use Topo Athletic Ultraventure, not waterproof at all. For 99% of running activities waterproof shoes should be avoided like the plague. For hiking you can get away with them more often if very cold and wet but are not ideal. Waterproof shoes will let water in (generally going down your legs or over the ankle), then you are stuck with wet feet, thus the ability to drain, to breathe and dry put is far more important.

I don't use gaiters unless there is snow or rain. Gaiters essentially replace the need for any kind of boot in most situations

Interesting, I'm in the same mindset. Though I do prefer waterproof if it's freezing, but nothing is truly waterproof and once wet then it's miserable.

Friends just got some topo and enjoys them, they might be my next trail runner.

Soldato
Interesting, I'm in the same mindset. Though I do prefer waterproof if it's freezing, but nothing is truly waterproof and once wet then it's miserable.

Friends just got some topo and enjoys them, they might be my next trail runner.
Sealskinz? That's what I've taken to wearing when the weather is poor. My 'waterproof' boots never seem to be waterproof.

Caporegime
Sealskinz? That's what I've taken to wearing when the weather is poor. My 'waterproof' boots never seem to be waterproof.

Yeah I have sealskins, but I don't like the lining of them. I'm aware there's other, not as waterproof one that I should maybe try.

Soldato
Yeah I have sealskins, but I don't like the lining of them. I'm aware there's other, not as waterproof one that I should maybe try.
Check out Dexshell. I hated Sealskinz, but the Dexshell socks feel completely different. I don't have waterproof trainers and I use the Running Lite version for trail running in winter and their Hytherm ones for winter mountain biking.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mammut is the best brand for all outdoor clothing btw purely based on the logo
I really want one of the hoodies but never seen them in my local outdoors type shops :(

a lot of their footwear looks good to

Caporegime
Check out Dexshell. I hated Sealskinz, but the Dexshell socks feel completely different. I don't have waterproof trainers and I use the Running Lite version for trail running in winter and their Hytherm ones for winter mountain biking.
I'll have a look, I don't mind the sealskins for my actually, but hiking in - not a chance.

Soldato
not convinced by exclusively taking trainers - if you are on a monitored marathon route fine,
If you are in an autonomous party and the route may end with a tired descent at dusk, involves any scree descents or scrambling, having some ankle support, that boots offer, helps,
grip of a more rigid vibram sole is reassuring - I have some zamberlan's.
e: 700g each apparently

Last edited:
Caporegime
Water just runs down you leg, or splashes over your ankle. The problem with waterproof shoes is the water then just stays inside rather drains out. And they aren't breathable so you sweat like a pig if above 5C

Caporegime
i also go for dexshells over sealskinz but will rarely use them. Not least all waterproof socks have a very limited life span

Back
Top Bottom