Domain hosting

Associate
Afternoon,

Just renewed my .org and .co.uk domains which are hosted by UK2.net and I've always just autorenewed without really considering whether or not to change to another company. I've never had any issues but don't want to be ripped off.

Paying about £24 per annum per domain, is that the going rate for basic email services? Don't currently use the web part of it at the moment but lofty ideas.....

Is it even the sort of thing that's easy to change?

Soldato
Amazon AWS charges $12 for a .org domain and $9 for a .co.uk domain registration/renewal - so no hosting included, just domain registration. (I'm not suggesting AWS is the cheapest, it's just figures I have to hand at the moment)
Depends what kind of email service you get with your package but it sounds like the costs are higher than they need to be. Basic email hosting is free most places these days or a decent email service like Microsoft Office365 business is something like £4 per month per mailbox.

Last edited:
Soldato
Afternoon,

Just renewed my .org and .co.uk domains which are hosted by UK2.net and I've always just autorenewed without really considering whether or not to change to another company. I've never had any issues but don't want to be ripped off.

Paying about £24 per annum per domain, is that the going rate for basic email services? Don't currently use the web part of it at the moment but lofty ideas.....

Is it even the sort of thing that's easy to change?
Is that £48 for domains and hosting/email per year?

If that's the case then fairly reasonable although if it's just emails and domains then you could arguably half the cost if you swapped domains to someone like Porkbun (.org is ~$10, .co.uk $6 per annum) and then use UK2, or Porkbun/Namecheap/etc, for email hosting - Domains + 2x UK2 "Personal Email" accounts (currently £6 per year) would be around £26 per year in total. Hosting would be additional to this.

If you wanted hosting for websites, and possibly email, then a LowEndBox deal or spinning up a free (ARM based) Oracle container would realistically be one of the cheapest solutions but you've got the headaches of managing the box yourself.
Most shared/cPanel/Plesk hosting packages are around £4/5 per month for something UK/Europe based.

Associate
OP
I have a .org with one email address on it and a .co.uk with 2 email addresses, currently pulling everything into Gmail as I only get 10Gb per email address and don't ever get round to downloading off the server.
  • .org domain registration, £14.50 for 1 year
  • 1x Professional 10GB Email Account, £24.00 for 1 year
  • total £46.20 for the year incl tax
£23.98 for the .co.uk domain registration, with just email forwarding which they don't charge for.

Literally don't ever do anything else with them although had grandiose ideas about making setting up a website for a few bits and pieces. But work and time etc seem to get in the way of all great ideas...

Looks like I'm paying over the odds then I guess?

Soldato
Most domain registrars offer free email forwarding, if that's enough you only need to pay for domain registration.

There are lots of email providers, Zoho will offer it to you for £10 a year for a basic plan. You can setup forwarding/POP and IMAP credentials so that you can send or receive your emails with your custom domain in your provider of choice, e.g. Gmail or Outlook if you don't like their web email client.

Back
Top Bottom