Poll: Dutch Grand Prix 2022, Circuit Zandvoort - Race 15

Rate the Dutch Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
They weren't really "old" mediums they were 5 laps old. Realistically they needed to hold on for about 5 laps until the edge came off the new tyres. Without DRS for 3 laps that doesn't seem impossible. Of course, Max then did it at the restart...

In hindsight this is clearly correct but I can see why they thought it was worth gambling on the win.

No. Max was obviously going to pit for softs, and win anyway.

The only proper play was to pit both for softs and all but secure 2nd and 3rd.

Caporegime
Nice to see alpine getting up there. Definitely best of the rest there.

Lol. Ferrari again. Its every damn race!

Riccardo.. Nothing more needs saying.
Dirt all over the circuit apparently! :D

Caporegime
There’s been a lot of talk on how long the Mercs take to get their tyres going. In all seriousness it seems like they forgot that part?

Yeh. I don't know what Toto/Merc were thinking. Splitting the strategy was literally the worst thing they could do. It left Lewis out to dry with Max right behind him with no buffer of Russell. It essentially doomed him to 4th (with Lecerc on softs too).

They should have put them both on softs like everyone else.

Soldato
Close to zero chance they would have held Max up, especially on old mediums. Best strat was to pit both Mercs for softs and secure P2 and P3.
Could they have though. They were behind the safety car and coming through the pit lane. Don't think double stacking was possible.

Maybe if they'd thought of it soon enough and got George to backup enough.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Wow Twitter is full of crazies.
Shame LH didn't come in for softs and ended up getting knocked off the podium, but good to see Merc finally getting the pace up.

Associate
Wow Twitter is full of crazies.
Shame LH didn't come in for softs and ended up getting knocked off the podium, but good to see Merc finally getting the pace up.
Agreed. Though merc threw away a 2&3, it was great to see some real race pace. The cars will hopefully give some close racing between 3 teams toward the end of the season for exciting races. Not that anyone will be able to challenge MV (unless we have several reliability/DNFs), but such an improvement from the season start when getting in to Q2 was a challenge.

Soldato
I’d like to think so, and all I can do is be optimistic for next year and the championship for Merc. But in reality these new car regs seem to make all car performance so variable. You get excited by one performance and then on the next track they’re struggling.

Caporegime
But in reality these new car regs seem to make all car performance so variable. You get excited by one performance and then on the next track they’re struggling.

That seems mostly like a good thing, no? Changing the balance of power between tracks makes things more interesting.

That said: I expect the degree of variation will decline as teams master the new regs.

Associate
Could they have though. They were behind the safety car and coming through the pit lane. Don't think double stacking was possible.

Maybe if they'd thought of it soon enough and got George to backup enough.
I've since revised my estimate to zero. I reckon George could have backed Max up half a lap, which would be illegal anyway, Max would have overtaken him before turn 1 (just like Lewis), then he would have caught Lewis in maybe 2 laps, had DRS and overtaken him with even more ease.

If Merc could fuel their cars on blind optimism from fans, they'd beat Elon to Mars.

Don
Any news yet on what the hell was going on at AlphaTauri with Yuki's car?

Stopped on track as thought a wheel was loose following the pit stop, he was then ready to abandon the car, hence undoing his seatbelts when pit wall then radioed to say telemetry on wheels looked ok.

Pitted again to change tyres precautionary as well as to do seatbelts back up, but then turned out to be an Issue with the differential causing wheel spin in only 1 wheel, and "drifting to one side" issues.

Soldato
Stopped on track as thought a wheel was loose following the pit stop, he was then ready to abandon the car, hence undoing his seatbelts when pit wall then radioed to say telemetry on wheels looked ok.

Pitted again to change tyres precautionary as well as to do seatbelts back up, but then turned out to be an Issue with the differential causing wheel spin in only 1 wheel, and "drifting to one side" issues.

Thanks.

Clearly the diff issue was incredibly obvious to Yuki, madness that the engineers couldn't see it through data the first time.

Soldato
The only way Lewis could have won it was if George played the ultimate wingman role and did some really sketchy driving to try to hold Max up. And it'd have to be really bad to have worked. Double moves, running him off the track.

Perez has done it for Max.
Alonso did it for Ocon.

I don't think George is 'that guy'.

Man of Honour
Thought it was a great race, but a poor track. The only real overtaking spot being the start line pretty much makes this a duff track for F1. Really nice to see Mercedes making actual improvements still. Fully expect them to be back in it next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom