dying pump? - help

Associate
Hi all,

recently my delidded i7 8700k is suddenly running much hotter than usual - i have replaced the thermal paste and still no luck, it is running in a custom loop with a 360mm rad

what could the potential causes of this be? a dying pump? a dying chip?

note my pump is making a weird noise but also has been for quite some time and is also operating at the correct RPM so i am not quite sure where to start in diagnosing this

idle temps - 35-45 which is normal
gaming - up to 80 which is the concerning part

thanks in advance

Soldato
Is the pump vibrating "normally"? Does the BIOS (or software monitor) show the pump running? At what RPM? What is the pump? Is there a reservoir?

While pumps can fail, it's generally not the pump itself. So, some simple diagnostic steps first.

Clean the computer especially the rad. Compressed air (or a computer blower cleaner) to get all the dust and crud out of the rad. This is highly likely to make a difference to your temperatures immediately.

Is it possible that you have gunk in the block? What fluid are you using? Does the block have a clear top? Can you see if it's clogged?

Associate
OP
i am really unsure as to what it could be, i am starting to think it may be the pump, it is a few years old but still operating at correct RPM

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is the pump vibrating "normally"? Does the BIOS (or software monitor) show the pump running? At what RPM? What is the pump? Is there a reservoir?

While pumps can fail, it's generally not the pump itself. So, some simple diagnostic steps first.

Clean the computer especially the rad. Compressed air (or a computer blower cleaner) to get all the dust and crud out of the rad. This is highly likely to make a difference to your temperatures immediately.

Is it possible that you have gunk in the block? What fluid are you using? Does the block have a clear top? Can you see if it's clogged?

yes the pump sounds how it always has to be honest, the software says the pump is operating at the correct RPM , the rad is already pretty much dust free, i could have gunk in the block however i use clear mayhem fluid and typically clear fluid doesnt build up much gunk, could it be that the liquid metal from the delid needs replacing ( personally i think this is unlikely but i am not a delid / overclocking guru )

Soldato
Has the temp rise happened since deliding? If so check the ihs is making contact with the cpu die. Did you remove all old black silicone that held the ish in place? Did you put liquid metal on both the cpu die and underside of the ihs?

Last edited:
Associate
It’s quite easy to diagnose pump failure.

touch the temp at the waterblock, touch it at the radiator. If the temperature feels significantly different you have pump failure.

otherwise look a block fitment or fans on the radiator

Associate
OP
i am really unsure as to what it could be, i am starting to think it may be the pump, it is a few years old but still operating at correct RPM
Has the temp rise happened since deliding? If so check the ihs is making contact with the cpu die. Did you remove all old black silicone that held the ish in place? Did you put liquid metal on both the cpu die and underside of the ihs?

it was delidded about a year and a half ago (followed the guides religiously) and the temps have been fine up until now so i dont think it was the initial application - does Liquid metal need to be replaced over a time period?

Associate
it was delidded about a year and a half ago (followed the guides religiously) and the temps have been fine up until now so i dont think it was the initial application - does Liquid metal need to be replaced over a time period?
If you are using aluminium blocks then you would need to replace the whole thing, otherwise you should be fine check if the radiator is clogged up first.

Associate
Lm shouldn’t need to be replaced IMO... unless you somehow messed up the application of it.. lm on die, lm under his, kryonaught on ihs... or lm on die for direct die cooling.

Since you said temps have risen recently, I assume all was ok before then.. has anything changed during that time period?

Could be mounting pressure on the cpu?
May not be the best comparison but I had similar issues with direct die cooling on my 4770k. Temps would be fine idling but a bit higher than expected on load.. which in turn happened to be due to mounting pressure. I used a naked ivy mount and even then had concerns of applying too much pressure as I didn’t want to accidentally crush the die. Tightening the screws till I could not tighten by hand anymore, helped reduce the temp by 10-15c...

Soldato
If the pump had failed it would get to throttle temp within a few seconds.

If it’s Delidded with liquid metal I’d double check the application between chip and IHS I’ve known mine begin to dry up and give poor temps after a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom