• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E5200 Overclocking and performance comparison.

Man of Honour
OP
Any thoughts as to why the quad appears to bench significantly lower in Games compared to E6600 at the same clocks? :confused:

Always thought the extra cache made a small difference in framerates especially at the (relatively) low res of 1280x1024 in favour of the C2Q....

Partly because it was done a few months ago using older drivers. The quad was a waste of space for me. None of my games use the extra cores and it had two, sometimes three cores, all clocked at 3.6Ghz doing nothing but still sucking up vast quantities of power and chucking out loads of heat. We need to see a lot more games become multi threaded before quads become mainstream in a gaming pc. One of the reasons i will be giving core i7 a miss for a good while yet.

Soldato
This is an excellent piece of work, although in some ways it makes it harder to pick what CPU to buy - but honest, thorough, research is often confusing.

Thank you Pastymuncher and 5-stars from me!

Man of Honour
OP
This is an excellent piece of work, although in some ways it makes it harder to pick what CPU to buy - but honest, thorough, research is often confusing.

Thank you Pastymuncher and 5-stars from me!

Many thanks. Coming from someone as experienced as you means a lot to me. I did it to try to help people decide and if it even helps just one person it was worth it.

Caporegime
Should have my E5200 setup up this week so hoping I can get some good results - got it so I could wait for the E0s at my leisure...

Will post what I get overclocking-wise on decent air (TRUE with 2x 38mm fans ;)). Noob to C2D ocing so will take my time :p

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
Bah that doesnt sound any good - bought some nice OCZ Reaper 8500 in the hope for high FSB as the P5Q can do quite high...

TBH Im mad to complain considering how much it does oc for the price...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
Is it worth it for 200mhz? I'd be running my ram 2/3rds of their max ability, lol

You also might find that you need to increase the volts quite a bit if you are already struggling at 3.4Ghz. It was just a suggestion. There is quite a performance hit with using the high multiplier/low fsb though. I did say that in my review. This is a good choice for people that only have PC2 667 ram though.

Caporegime
You also might find that you need to increase the volts quite a bit if you are already struggling at 3.4Ghz. It was just a suggestion. There is quite a performance hit with using the high multiplier/low fsb though. I did say that in my review. This is a good choice for people that only have PC2 667 ram though.

Had Vcore at 1.4, MCH at 1.4 and VTT at 1.5, no dice, 3.4Ghz seems the limit.

Still better than my E6550 @ 3Ghz though

Man of Honour
OP
whats a decent mobo to go with the e5200 ?

i was thinking a p45 but is that overkill ? thining micro atx as well ....going media centre

Well i have mine in a £35 P35 Biostar board now and it's running at 3.6Ghz. All you need is a board that allows you to increase the fsb and apply a little extra cpu voltage. Not sure about M-ATX boards but i believe Gigabyte (G33 DS2R?) and Asus (P5E VM?) do a couple of fairly decent clocking ones. There's always the (very expensive for a M-ATX board) DFI Lan Party JR P45-T2RS.

Soldato
Great work-actual in depth testing done by someone from the community with knowledge rather than reviewers who get the chip for free and don't even test properly (ahem tom's...)

Have even made my mind up the missus' build as well :) e5200 it is!

Thanks for the effort you put in-i know how boring benching and testing can be!

Back
Top Bottom