Ender 5 Pro Upgrade Thread.

Soldato
This is going to be a collation of the upgrades I'm doing for my Ender 5 in case anyone else wants to see the pitfalls.
it comprises of two main things, firstly Micro-Swiss NG REVO Direct Drive Extruder:
NGRevo_543x543.png

Endorphin 3D

half core XY conversion. moves the stepper off the Y axis to the frame.

I'll also upgrade to klipper at the same time.

Associate
This is going to be a collation of the upgrades I'm doing for my Ender 5 in case anyone else wants to see the pitfalls.
it comprises of two main things, firstly Micro-Swiss NG REVO Direct Drive Extruder:
NGRevo_543x543.png

Endorphin 3D

half core XY conversion. moves the stepper off the Y axis to the frame.

I'll also upgrade to klipper at the same time.
Did you do the upgrade?

Soldato
OP
not yet sadly. unexpectedly had to buy a load of school uniform and associated crud.
currently debating if it's worth doing endorphin first or the hotend. I'm leaning towards the hotend first but it'll depend how I'm feeling.
Doubt it'll be this month as I've both kids birthdays to deal with and printing will be on the back burner.

Having said that I've printed the parts for stage one of endorphin already and just need to buy the hardware, that's proving to be a PITA without getting 100x the bolts I really need.
Already missing being able to pickup 5 packs of bolts from wilko.

Soldato
OP
yeah, I'd really like to just go straight to stage 3 without doing it bit by bit.
having said that for some reason PETG has stopped adhering to my current build surface so that may need to be replaced.

Soldato
OP
ohhh, yes I was looking at linear rails, it looks like it would be worth jumping straight there (phase 2?) rather than half arsing it.

Soldato
OP

ok ok, klipper installed. some good points. a bit less user friendly than the stock firmware but I can see what the advantages are. I may upgrade octoprint to mainsail or something I think.

getting an accelerometer to do input shaping tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
hot glue counts as a mounting solution doesn't it?

running the calibration

I'm going to try the torture test thing later this week, just need to decide what filament I don't want lol

Last edited:
Associate
I just bought a second hand Ender 5 plus - though am having it set aside as a Christmas present from the wife (we always struggle to buy each other anything as we just buy stuff when we need it) - it came with the microswiss ng non revo already fitted, the guy selling it also included the older Microswiss direct drive that he had fitted previously so am in the process of installing that to my CR105 with Linear Rails - just had to order a MGN12h carriage to fit it though.

Hopefully Christmas project will be setup and convert the Ender 5 plus to core xy with the Endorphin mod.

Which accelerometer did you get and is it connected via the PI - have not tried one yet.

Soldato
OP
I just bought a second hand Ender 5 plus - though am having it set aside as a Christmas present from the wife (we always struggle to buy each other anything as we just buy stuff when we need it) - it came with the microswiss ng non revo already fitted, the guy selling it also included the older Microswiss direct drive that he had fitted previously so am in the process of installing that to my CR105 with Linear Rails - just had to order a MGN12h carriage to fit it though.

Hopefully Christmas project will be setup and convert the Ender 5 plus to core xy with the Endorphin mod.

Which accelerometer did you get and is it connected via the PI - have not tried one yet.
yes! I picked up a cheap adxl345 from the rainforest and wired it to my Pi.

there's some really good guides on the klipper website for the code to include but lots of it is missing small bits

If I come into a load of money I'd love to either buy a plus or build my pro into one.

Soldato
OP
ok stage 1

parts:

end product:

the printed parts are PET-G 100% infill. I hope that the odd layer stuff isn't an issue.

stage 2 is mostly just some rails which I'll get if my van passes it's MOT this week lol!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am planning on spending the weekend tuning it so should have an update then. Also apparently you can swap the stepper motor on X for the extruder one as it's larger. I will do that once I have the new hot end/direct drive.

(the van did not pass it's MOT)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
printed a new x-belt tensioner and resin printed a new fan duct as these cost nothing to do lol

tensioner in red PETG:

new duct in resin:

progress so far:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How much do the belt tensioners help, do you think? Thinking of printing some of my own, but not sure how much of an effect it'll have.
tbh I'm not sure, I put them in as my new belt needed the extra tightening due to it being a bit too long (impossible to get into the clips if it was shorter!).

There's very little cost if you've the right parts already and the print doesn't take long.

Back
Top Bottom