Ergonomic Desk Chair (10hr+)

Soldato
I also work from home, I have a Herman Miller, not sure which model but I bought it second hand from one of the office clearance shops around Canary Wharf, paid about £250 cash in hand for it, it's luck of the draw what they have available at any one time, they normally have a whole load of different ones to choose from,

Soldato
Do you find it gets hot after a while? Does it let you relax nicely so you can watch movies, or is it just a sit-up and work chair?

Its a mesh support so doesn't get hot at all.

My work office is a separate room in the house so it is just a sit up and work chair for me. I'll game on it for hours quite happily, but I prefer to watch a film on the main TV in the lounge rather than on one of the PC's.

You can probably get one secondhand a lot cheaper. They are tough so unless someone has really abused them badly you should be fine. Check the gas lift and that it doesn't sink when you sit on it as well as any obvious broken plastic.

Soldato
I think regardless of what chair I use my posture is probably crap. I just find a way that feels most comfortable. My driving position in the car is probably not right either.

I have an ikea Marcus and it's comfortable. It's always in the unlocked position so it leans back. When I'm not leaning back I'll be slouched forward anyway.

I almost question the importance of posture because my back isn't really giving me any grief and I've sat incorrectly for 15years.

Caporegime
I bought my chair for £40 from office supply shop. I sit in it for 10 hours a day normally and don't have a problem with it at all. I always wonder what people do in their chairs that gives them such bad problems.

Just sit with your bum in the back of the seat with a straight back. No worries.

Yes, because your back is obviously how every other back on the planet functions.

Soldato
Herman Miller Embody
Steelcase Leap v2
Steelcase Gesture

Pick one of these 3 and be done with it. The Leap v2 can be fitted with a headrest, but the reason these chairs don't come with headrests is because it is bad for your neck to use one!

Caporegime
Important to note is that chairs that get their support and comfort from methods other that just chucking foam over a sheet of plywood allow farts to float out easier.

Soldato
Herman Miller Embody
Steelcase Leap v2
Steelcase Gesture

Pick one of these 3 and be done with it. The Leap v2 can be fitted with a headrest, but the reason these chairs don't come with headrests is because it is bad for your neck to use one!

I just bought a Leap. I've been using an Ikea Markus for years now (since 2008/07) and I've always been turning and adjusting.

Been using a Leap at work for 3 years and only recently I realised that I sit down for ages at work and never have any issues or problems in that chair!

It's just a shame it's difficult to buy it anywhere new or direct.

Soldato
I just bought a Leap. I've been using an Ikea Markus for years now (since 2008/07) and I've always been turning and adjusting.

Been using a Leap at work for 3 years and only recently I realised that I sit down for ages at work and never have any issues or problems in that chair!

It's just a shame it's difficult to buy it anywhere new or direct.

It's actually fairly simple - contact your local Steelcase office (mine is in Aberdeen) and they will gladly let you purchase one as a single customer.

Soldato
Where's the best place to look for 2nd hand/refurb chairs aside from ebay? A few sites come up in google but i've no idea if any of them are reputable.

Soldato
It's actually fairly simple - contact your local Steelcase office (mine is in Aberdeen) and they will gladly let you purchase one as a single customer.

Cheers for that, I've just sent them an email. However I got mine 2nd hand, I guess the price of a new one is £400+? I'll see what they come back with.

Man of Honour
Yes, because your back is obviously how every other back on the planet functions.

Astonishing inst it. "Because I have no back problems I don't understand why others do, get fitter FFS" or my recent favourite which I will paraphrase "if the chair made your back bad sue them, which is surely what you should be doing, it was fine for me".

If you have a bad back caused by a bad posture as I do a bad chair will amplify it, a good chair will support your posture and you will have no problems. In the same way if you have no back issues any chair will probably be OK, but don't be stupid enough to think it makes a bad chair good because you've had no problems.

Soldato
try a grand for a new one

I paid £250 for a refurbished one

Thought as much, I googled another chair we have at the office and it was £800+.

I guess because our Steelcases one's are older I thought it'd be cheaper.

Still getting a 2nd hand or refurbished one is alright enough for me. There's someone selling one locally for cheap but it's a higher chair. I was thinking of buying it and replacing the gas lift canister to a shorter one but thought it's too much hassle.

Soldato
Lol nah, a Leap won't be a grand. I was quoted just below £900 for a Gesture, which is their top end chair.

If you want a leather one though, might have to go to Steelcase. I only see fabric for refurbs and that's a bit crap. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom