ESXI AVAILABILITY UPDATE

Associate
I expect that my work will be transitioning to Hyper-V given its cheap if you already have a corporate agreement. The only thing keeping us with VMware was reasonable licence costs and sunk cost in experience/scripts etc.

Shame, we've been with VMware since ESX2.5.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hyper-V was free and sort of still is. if you have windows 10 ro its just enabling it. you can get server editions on long trials or pick up cheap keys.
i cant seem to see that there is a free version now, there was when it release Hyper-v Server. but frm memory and searching its disconntinued.
last time i played with Hyper-V you needed a domain set up to manage it and it wasnt as feature rich.

Proxmox (been around 15years)- aimed at smaller organisations that said its also in use in a lot of larg companies. Linux knowlege is usufll to have.
XCP-ng (been around 5years a relative new commer)- based on Xen aimed more at larger organisations
in simplistic terms. both free

just depends what you looking for. its always good to know multiple technologies.
Hyper-V obvious in use in a lot of large companies.
all of them is good for getting to know the CMD/Terminal usage.

i can see Proxmox/XCP-NG getting a lot of new customers in the next year or so potentially, which would be good for them.

it really depends which one works best for you. give them both a try or try something competely differant and let us know what you find :)

i thought this was a nice little read : https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/12j0rry/my_personal_impressions_on_proxmox_vs_xcpng/

Last edited:
Caporegime
The thing is, if you want to run Windows Server VMs then you need licenses anyway. If you have the licenses for the VMs then you are already licensed for the Hyper-V host (outside of special cases like replication or failover clustering).

What makes Hyper-V more expensive in the enterprise is when you want to involve SCVMM for management. I wouldn’t run a large environment without it, but a small environment consisting of up to a single cluster of hosts you can manage just fine with Failover Cluster Manager and Powershell.

Soldato
I've used Nutanix a few times - it's not bad just there interface isn't as nice and the product is not as feature rich but it does most things VMware does. Basic stuff that vCenter does well such as folders and the different views it doesn't have so it looks cluttered at times.

In a few years time, if Broadcom keep going down this path, they're going to alienate a lot of people from using there products. Especially with the big push to cloud already happening.

M.

Back
Top Bottom