Euthanasia need to be considered in UK?

Associate
Mods first thing.. If this is classified as a medical thread please remove as I don't want to break any rules.

To the subject at hand. I have been thinking about this recently. Should the UK bring in euthanasia. should it be discussed at least?

Thinking about this recently as my mum was diagnosed with cancer about 6 weeks ago. No treatment is possible. Currently mum is home but is bed bound and has no quality of life.

Various nursing staff in throughout the day to help the family and mum. Hasn't been able to talk in days and if she does talk it could be incoherent due to the drugs to try and control pain.

The nursing staff and GP have been brilliant but having to call them in middle of night as mum is in agony and needing a morphine top up is heart breaking. (All recent estimates are this could last another 1-2 weeks)

We wouldn't allow an animal to just lie in its bed suffering so why do we allow a human?

(An upset and tired OcUk member )

Caporegime
It's a difficult one for sure, the issue is it can also be opened up for abuse.

But in circumstances like yours, it may feel like this is the right option.

Caporegime
My father was euthanized. Throat cancer that simply took over. I absolutely hated the ******* and still do to this day, even in death he took the pussy way out, just like everything else in his life.

Have a lovely afternoon <3

Don
Mods first thing.. If this is classified as a medical thread please remove as I don't want to break any rules.

To the subject at hand. I have been thinking about this recently. Should the UK bring in euthanasia. should it be discussed at least?

Thinking about this recently as my mum was diagnosed with cancer about 6 weeks ago. No treatment is possible. Currently mum is home but is bed bound and has no quality of life.

Various nursing staff in throughout the day to help the family and mum. Hasn't been able to talk in days and if she does talk it could be incoherent due to the drugs to try and control pain.

The nursing staff and GP have been brilliant but having to call them in middle of night as mum is in agony and needing a morphine top up is heart breaking. (All recent estimates are this could last another 1-2 weeks)

We wouldn't allow an animal to just lie in its bed suffering so why do we allow a human?

(An upset and tired OcUk member )

To play devils advocate, how could you confirm with 100% accuracy with your Mum that she wanted it all to end now? She can't talk or verbally communicate this with you. Or that someone wanted to end their life as a result of depression, which is largely treatable.

Therein lies the problem.

I'm sorry for what you're going through :(

Associate
OP
To play devils advocate, how could you confirm with 100% accuracy with your Mum that she wanted it all to end now? She can't talk or verbally communicate this with you. Or that someone wanted to end their life as a result of depression, which is largely treatable.

Therein lies the problem.

I'm sorry for what you're going through :(
Thats true. You couldn't confirm. Especially the way she is at the moment... Very fair point

Soldato
It's tricky. I'd support it but only in cases where the person potentially being euthanised can consent to it with full mental faculties and where there's no potential for them to be coerced, and with very strong controls to ensure that's definitely the case.

Soldato
100%, we have a aging population and house shortage, the people retired today didnt put enough in to cover themselves and now the younger gen are having to pay for them, if we could offload a lot of them we wouldnt have this problem.

Soylent Green?

Could solve food problems and lower carbon emissions.

I mean, people eat other people’s toe nails.. so there must be a market.

(Retch much?)

Last edited:
Caporegime
100%, we have a aging population and house shortage, the people retired today didnt put enough in to cover themselves and now the younger gen are having to pay for them, if we could offload a lot of them we wouldnt have this problem.
Dude, you need to step back a bit. Many of us want the choice of euthanasia to end a person’s suffering, not because we want their house!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've watched 2 grandparents and my mum slowly die due to dementia. No way I go out like that . Also saw a mate die of lung cancer, utterly brutal but in the end he was pretty much euthanised, he stayed at home throughout and a mate looked after him. He was supplied with way more morphine and oxycodone that you'd ever get in hospice care. In the end he said he'd had enough and he was eased away with more and more morphine. Not as bad way to go.

Back on the personal front, I don't have kids but my brother has a safe word set up with his 4 kids. As long as he can answer "who was the greatest player he ever saw play for Spurs" and he says Gazza he's fine. If he can't say that its pillow over the face time. Seriously though I won't go out like my mum or grandparents did, I'll find a way to get the drugs required to go peacefully. I think its shameful we don't allow people who have had enough to pass with some dignity.

Back
Top Bottom