Exposed - Build Log - mITX - Streacom DA6XL

Associate
Long time since my last post here, but I have been working on something really special. Have recently bought a streacom DA6XL and fallen in love with the look of the case, and I knew that something special and unique can be built in such an enclosure.

So the journey began, and drafted some initial renderings to get a grasp of the tubing runs, components spacing etc. The build is pretty tight, so there is absolutely no room for error and measurements must be accurate to the mm. On top of that, the case being an open case, some serious cable management should take place to ensure they do not obstruct any components, and most importantly, do not interfer with the final look I wanted to achieve.

Anyway, long story short, below are the initial renders.

List of components:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090FE
Mobo: Asus B650E-i
Ram: Crucial DDR5 64gb
PSU: Corsair SF750
Cables: Custom from cablemod
Case: Streacom DA6XL (duh)
Fans: 4xNoctua NF-A14
Watercooling parts: all EKWB, the heart of the case being the RTX 3090 block which I had laying around until i could get my hands on a founders edition RTX 3090 (they were pretty hard to get in EU, but managed to grab one from Ebay at a bargain)
Tubing: Pure Stainless Steel

63bLTKO.png
gJYbjaB.png
gfh8vXd.png
G7w8lRX.png
cTAdQqT.png
l2PvacK.png
6Myvi0M.png
ZHdA2IL.png

Let me know your comments, or if you have any reccomendations for the build. The parts are all available, pending delivery of the riser cable.

Associate
@Sofronis Neofytou - those renders look amazing!

@Jay85 has a similarly constricted open frame build, worth checking out if you haven't seen it already (it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your renders!), link below:

Soldato
@Sofronis Neofytou - those renders look amazing!

@Jay85 has a similarly constricted open frame build, worth checking out if you haven't seen it already (it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your renders!), link below:

Awesome render, looks fantastic. Can imagine the real thing will look just like this tbh. Haven't seen that many built in a DA6, was a little tempted myself but there's something about the XProto that ticks it for me still.

Associate
OP
Hi thank you for the comments! @Jay85 your Xproto build also looks amazing, but i couldn't fathom having the radiators detached from the main case, it is somewhat a rule of mine when building computers :D .

Will try and post some log pictures and final photographs of the finished build in the weekend. Hopefully the temps of the RTX 3090 are more reasonable in an open case, cause currently in my water cooled O11D it is getting surprusingly quite hot.

Soldato
Hi thank you for the comments! @Jay85 your Xproto build also looks amazing, but i couldn't fathom having the radiators detached from the main case, it is somewhat a rule of mine when building computers :D .

Will try and post some log pictures and final photographs of the finished build in the weekend. Hopefully the temps of the RTX 3090 are more reasonable in an open case, cause currently in my water cooled O11D it is getting surprusingly quite hot.

I was like this but having done it now i find it so so so much easier to do builds as i don't have to worry about radiator spacing. Everything is on Quick disconnects, its as simple as plumbing in the connection and im set. Makes building and planning so much easier for much cleaner builds too.

I might go back to a radiator build at some point but no plans to do it anytime soon.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks stunning

Chrome fans mite look nice, take a look at.
Alphacool Apex Stealth Metal fan 2000rpm chrome (120x120x25mm)

Would love to see a render with these fans

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks stunning

Chrome fans mite look nice, take a look at.
Alphacool Apex Stealth Metal fan 2000rpm chrome (120x120x25mm)

Would love to see a render with those fans

Waiting for these as well, still no actual release date though.

Associate
That looks familiar... :)

Hey I'm most of the way through a very similar build, just waiting on OCuk to get the parts in to replace the final clear soft tube and finish it (for now). https://builds.gg/alski/da6xl-in-progress-35603

I really like your PSU placement, I had wondered about doing the inverted radiators too, but decided I wanted the stainless runs up to the top instead.

Your renders don't include cabling, so I'd be cautious of how much space that actually requires... e.g.
1QWHMnl.png
particularly if you still use the standard Nvidia cable
39olt7z.png
One of the great things about DA6s is that you can easily place them over a sink, and the frame is great for picking up and rotating, so you have some flexibility in filling and draining, but with your inverted rads, I'm wondering how you intend to fill? I don't see any drain ports, or anything you can open to let air/in out to help fill this. It's been the one annoyance with my re-builds so far :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hopefully the temps of the RTX 3090 are more reasonable in an open case, cause currently in my water cooled O11D it is getting surprusingly quite hot.
I've had surprising success with just a single 280mm, nothing over 70C.. admittedly with only 300w load (3080+i5), but the noise is excellent, noisiest thing is the DDC pump.

nBmqfB0.png

Last edited:
Associate
The build is pretty tight, so there is absolutely no room for error and measurements must be accurate to the mm. .....

cTAdQqT.png

In this image you've got the GPU mounted as far back as it can in order to get the radius on the bend into the Rad. In reality I'm not convinced you will get the Riser through that gap. You might need to use the 2mm spacer they supply. Will that push the bend forward enough to interfere on the fitting??

Associate
OP
In this image you've got the GPU mounted as far back as it can in order to get the radius on the bend into the Rad. In reality I'm not convinced you will get the Riser through that gap. You might need to use the 2mm spacer they supply. Will that push the bend forward enough to interfere on the fitting??
The riser used is this here https://www.quietpc.com/st-rz4-21b which has the right angles to fit flawlessly in the DA6. I don't see any problems with the fittings.

Associate
OP
Some update, have done the whole cabling, fitting of rads and reservoir and cpu block to check tubing runs etc. Cabling turned out to be the most difficult part but I am happy with the result. Thinking of wrapping the cables using a cable sleeve like this one here https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B09776ST4C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A326X3AG3XUTK4&psc=1.

So far the case has been an absolute breeze to work with, even with the tight runs I had to make. especially the cpu block to radiator one was quite tricky using the M to M connector and three 90degree angled adapters. Now to dissasemble the gpu radiator and fit the gpu back, add the tubing and flowmeter, and it is game on.

ovARMmI.jpg

Nduli7d.jpg

VoggASR.jpg

wOWShwu.jpg

hohnJs8.jpg

ovARMmI.jpg

Associate
OP
In this image you've unfortunately got the frame mounting bars going directly through the DDC.

Check 80ish plus's mounting for his FLT80. https://www.instagram.com/p/CnUQQ0uSTsK/ He ended up sitting it on the bars as the screw holes don't line up. I've rotated mine 90 degrees to avoid.
Yes this was a concern initially, but it is holding pretty well only on screwed using only one bracket. no wobbling at all, and the tubing should make it fully rigid. Well, technically.

Associate
OP
That looks familiar... :)

Hey I'm most of the way through a very similar build, just waiting on OCuk to get the parts in to replace the final clear soft tube and finish it (for now). https://builds.gg/alski/da6xl-in-progress-35603

I really like your PSU placement, I had wondered about doing the inverted radiators too, but decided I wanted the stainless runs up to the top instead.

Your renders don't include cabling, so I'd be cautious of how much space that actually requires... e.g.
1QWHMnl.png
particularly if you still use the standard Nvidia cable
39olt7z.png
One of the great things about DA6s is that you can easily place them over a sink, and the frame is great for picking up and rotating, so you have some flexibility in filling and draining, but with your inverted rads, I'm wondering how you intend to fill? I don't see any drain ports, or anything you can open to let air/in out to help fill this. It's been the one annoyance with my re-builds so far :)
Always using custom cables for watercooling builds. A single cable to power up the awful 12pin of the RTX3090 was a must! I believe the cabling turned out great in the end.

Back
Top Bottom