Express boiler replacement opinions

Soldato
Hi everyone,

Just after some opinions really.

Our Boiler a British Gas 80 F2 (standard boiler with tank and cylinder) installed circa 2000 hasn't skipped a beat since we moved into this house 10 years ago. Last weekend it stopped working. I have home emergancy cover, so invoked that engineer came out needed a part but wouldn't arrive until today. Skip to today the part was installed and boiler working again but they weren't happy with the air pressure switch so it needs replacing. That will be another 2 weeks and £300 out of my pocket. We have been 5 days without heating or hot water already. That is a no go.

So looking at boiler replacement I see companies like boxt.co.uk get good reviews and could install one as soon as Saturday. Has anyone used a company like this? Any other thoughts on options at this point I want hot water back asap.

If I do go that route it raises other questions about which boiler and what type. Our house is reasonably large, 4 bed, 2 showers and 14 radiators. I think it would be pushing it with a combi boiler and they are a lot more expensive but regaining the space in the cupboard and loft is appealling.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Just checking my sanity on what will end up being a quick decision.

I would say with the future scrapping a space that can hold a water vessel is really daft.
Is your system vented or unvented, I assume vented. If you can look at going unvented.

I mean look at the options but unvented is pretty much the best of both worlds and those of us who have it and have had combis swear by unvented ;)

Combi is not so much about the ability to provide flow but how many people could be demanding hot water at any one time.

Soldato
Ring some local plumbers/ gas fitters. I spoke to one and he installed the Worcester Bosch I wanted 2 days later.

It was a few years back but cost around £500 + boiler price at trade. That included a magnet filter. I'd asked him to move it a few feet so it vented out of a different wall else it might have been cheaper.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone.

£300 to replace an air pressure switch, they are extracting the 'you know what' with those prices. How new/well insulated is the house? would a heat pump be a consideration?
It insurance, so that is why I suspect.

I would say with the future scrapping a space that can hold a water vessel is really daft.
Is your system vented or unvented, I assume vented. If you can look at going unvented.

I mean look at the options but unvented is pretty much the best of both worlds and those of us who have it and have had combis swear by unvented ;)

Combi is not so much about the ability to provide flow but how many people could be demanding hot water at any one time.
It is vented at the moment. We have a couple of spaces that could hold a water tank but for some reason it's currently in a bedroom which isn't great. Cupboard at the top of the stairs would be better but that would require a flue up through the roof as it's all internal walls.

Ripping out a system boiler is a bad idea.

It's a conventional boiler opposed to a system one. System ones have the pressurised water tank, right? I understand they are 'better' than a conventional one.

Ring some local plumbers/ gas fitters. I spoke to one and he installed the Worcester Bosch I wanted 2 days later.

It was a few years back but cost around £500 + boiler price at trade. That included a magnet filter. I'd asked him to move it a few feet so it vented out of a different wall else it might have been cheaper.

OK, with the general state of trades I assumed I would have been waiting weeks. Worth trying then.

Associate
Why would the cupboard need a flue? You can put a unvented tank in there and have the boiler somewhere else? Also +1 for unvented/system boiler. I wouldn't be considering a combi in a 4 bed/2bath.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone. Good to hear, had a survey today (just because there was an appoinment) and I wanted to chat to someone and it makes me question the Boxt option a little as we discovered things such as space for a with a top flue boiler is quite limited and it really needs to be one with a back flue. The ones coming up on Boxt are all top flue, there was also some pipework identified as needing an update. It just makes me wonder what happens if they turn up and find additional work required.

Soldato
Thanks everyone. Good to hear, had a survey today (just because there was an appoinment) and I wanted to chat to someone and it makes me question the Boxt option a little as we discovered things such as space for a with a top flue boiler is quite limited and it really needs to be one with a back flue. The ones coming up on Boxt are all top flue, there was also some pipework identified as needing an update. It just makes me wonder what happens if they turn up and find additional work required.
They did a survey? It'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom