Extreme Networks

Soldato
Anyone had much dealings with their stuff? I've always recommended and supported Cisco, but it looks like our new network (when we move offices in November) is going to be set up using Extreme switches due to the fact that Avaya recommend and we are going with them for voip.

TrX

TrX

Associate
We use extremes and cisco's at a ratio of about 50:50, We have hundreds of extreme eithernet switches, have used from single L2 managed 100Mb/s switches upto 10Gb/s L3 blades from extreme (and cisco alike).

I can't say I have any issue with them, you will find it so easy to pick up the CLI interface <TabTab> and I'd say every command requires less typing than to perform the same actions on the cisco's.

On the reliability side, the older switches had a bug that seemed to stop new link-up's being detected after around a year of uptime, but that has been sorted in firmware updates quite a while back. Never have a problem with them.

Especially compared to the price of the cisco's you really cant fault extreme's.

//TrX

EDIT:
btw, what extreme kit are you looking at?

//TrX

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Our extreme's went in the skip before long, they're cheap but the CLI isn't very nice coming from anything else and they had a whole heap of bugs when we were using them. Could have changed now but I have to say past experience means I'd never touch them again.

Then again, same could be said of quite a few vendors. I'm currently having fun and games with foundry switches, put in a change to the mpls config - doesn't work. Copy the config into notepad, do a 'no router mpls' and then paste it back in - works fine - what the hell??!

TrX

TrX

Associate
The older extremeOS cli wasn't very nice. all the newer kit run's XOS I believe, which is not like cisco (no enable for example, you just log in as a readonly user or a admin or somwehere in between) but it's not a BAD cli, find it quicker than configuring a cisco tbh.

Man of Honour
You could well be right, I haven't used them recently since we ripped out the last black diamond and replaced it with a cisco, it was a relief to be rid of them for us but that kit was something we acquired from a company we bought so it was pretty old.

Soldato
I first started dealing with Extreme kit (I work for a UK network security distributor) a little over a year ago now and passed my ENS certification in December. In my experience they're very good bits of kit. Out of all the installs I've done I've had very little in the way of problems.

As mentioned above the old ExtremeWare based switches were pretty rough but the new XOS based ones are excellent I would say. I definitely prefer the XOS CLI to Cisco's.

Back
Top Bottom