F1 Doesn't need any more teams - Stefano Domenicali

Soldato
A couple of races ago Stefano Domenicali popped into the Sky commentary box and had a chat with Crofty et al. When Crofty casually mentioned getting more teams on the grid, Stefano was pretty abrupt in shutting him down and saying no F1 doesn't need any more teams.

This belief seems to have been echoed in the way F1/FIA/Toto and some other has treated the potential Andretti application.

Curious what people's take on this is. In my opinion F1 could certainly use one or two more teams on the grid. That should promote more competition, and allow more seats for drivers (6 additional drivers if you count reserves). At present when a driver wins F2 they are stuck in no-mans land. As we've seen in the past, manufactures walk away from F1 in an instant when they don't like something, more 'proper' racing teams helps maintain the grid when this happens.

I find the reluctance by the powers that be to take serious the attempted entry by the Andretti organisation a bit weird. Back in 2010 F1 was desperate for new teams, so much so it let in a bunch of clown teams that became something of a laughing stock e.g. USF1, HRT. The last new team on the grid was the tooling company Haas in 2016. None had the budget or pedigree/experience of a potential Andretti Autosport entry.

The Andretti team is a pure racing team, competing in multiple series in multiple countries. It's far more prepared and capable, than any other teams that have entered in the last 20 years. It already has the $200m buy-in ready, already has the budget for F1, and is spending some half a billion on it's racing projects and infrastructure. Added to that, it would be another US team, which is something that should go down well in country that already hosts three races, and especially with cross-over fans from series it already competes in.

McLaren, are happy to have Andretti join, Mercedes seem dead against it. I would imagine other teams are concerned about prize money, but that is what the $200m buy-in is for. To compensate for a slightly smaller piece of the pie. There's also the fact there will be more competition for places. Apparently the step in prize money for constructors places is some $12m, so any team losing a position to Andretti would be in for a hit.

F1 itself might also have to give up a little revenue to teams if the number of teams grows, but then you'd hope a quality US entrant would help to grow to the pie anyway. Then there is sponsorship, current teams might worry about additional competition for sponsorship, but if the sport grows, or more US companies come onboard, that shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, just seems strange to me, that F1 is completely dismissive and doesn't think this or any other potential entry is worth looking into.

Man of Honour
I'd like to see more teams but I do wonder if F1 are keen to try and avoid the scenario we saw with Caterham, HRT and Marussia where they all disappeared fairly quickly.
I also wonder if their opinion would be different if say Audi or Porsche turned around and said they were starting their own team.....

Its odd, I'd argue having an Andretti F1 team would do more for the profile of the sport in the USA than having races around the car park of a stadium..... and there's no way it doesn't create more revenue for the sport as a whole than it costs.

Soldato
OP
New teams.. No... Less space between grid? Yes!

I know you are talking about actual car performance, but the grid space made me think. At most tracks there are way more gird spots than F1 uses. When a clown like Latifi gets a penalty to drop 5 grid places rather than just starting him last in the next grid spot. Why not (where possible) have him start from 5 empty grid slots back. Obviously doesn't really matter for his race but symbolism of him starting way back away from the pack would put a smile on a few faces.

Caporegime
I know you are talking about actual car performance, but the grid space made me think. At most tracks there are way more gird spots than F1 uses. When a clown like Latifi gets a penalty to drop 5 grid places rather than just starting him last in the next grid spot. Why not (where possible) have him start from 5 empty grid slots back. Obviously doesn't really matter for his race but symbolism of him starting way back away from the pack would put a smile on a few faces.

I'm sad he got some points! Kind of spoils the mockery a bit!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Mercedes have pretty much outright stated their objection is a financial one - more teams = more dilution of the prize pool. It also increases competition which is something the really competitively-minded teams are sensitive to.

It won't ever happen for all sorts of legitimate reasons but I would love a return to the days where basically anyone could show up and try to be within the 107% rule. Qualifying actually meant qualifying rather than being solely about grid position.

Caporegime

Wouldn't that actually be an advantage, giving him clear air and space to pick his line vs. the cars ahead.

Associate
i'd like to see 2 new teams enter the grid. more seats for rookies as Mr Jack says also who's to say that the new teams would be the back of the pack teams? they could shake up the grid after a few seasons.
Will this happen? i highly doubt it because then the prize pot will be smaller for everyone and they wont like that, all the talk about would the team be able to create the infrastructure required for an F1 team is rubbish when talking about Andretti, he's already got the infra and could also potentially bring in more of the American market.

Soldato
OP
It depends on the team. The HRT, Caterham and Marussia/Manors of the world? No thanks... Audi, Porsche etc? Yes please.

Well the team in question is Andretti with half a billion investment and more ready to spend. With a history of operating in motorsport categories on multiple continents, and the potential to bring in a new audience and grow the F1 pie.

Not one is talking about USF1, HRT type teams coming into the sport.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't agree with Domenicali here. But we don't just need new teams, we need new engine manufacturers as well.

this. I didn't realaise untill I checked the Wiki, but currently there are only 4 manufactuers

Merc
Renault
Ferrari
Honda / RBPT

I thought Aston Martin team would at least be running an Aston martin engine, same for Alfa thought they would use their own engines but they don't ??? seems wierd. If you are a manufacturer in your own right surely the rules should be that you provide your own engines otherwise surely it's just like having 4 teams competing and not 10. I know car design and aero is a big part of the winning formula, but surely it all starts with the engine or am i thinking this through incorrectly ?

Commissario
I’d love to see more teams. Let anyone who wants to race come along. Providing they can produce a car that passes scrutineering and they have drivers with the appropriate licence, the more the merrier.

However, if they don’t meet the 107% time to qualify then they shouldn’t be allowed to race. Is that still a rule? When was the last time it applied to someone?

Soldato
I’d love to see more teams. Let anyone who wants to race come along. Providing they can produce a car that passes scrutineering and they have drivers with the appropriate licence, the more the merrier.

However, if they don’t meet the 107% time to qualify then they shouldn’t be allowed to race. Is that still a rule? When was the last time it applied to someone?

think the 107 rule was last used in the early 80's when they had more teams / cars than grid starting places, but i would hazard a guess that the teams that couldn't get on the grid ended up losing money / sponsorship which then lead to them not being able to further invest in R&D to get them on the grid.

I guess as there are fewer teams and more than enough grid spots you can qualify 30 secs slower and they would still let you line up ???

I'll admit I have only just started watching F1 again properly in the last 2 years. Last time I properly followed the sport was in the days of Prost and Sena.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
think the 107 rule was last used in the early 80's when they had more teams / cars than grid starting places, but i would hazard a guess that the teams that couldn't get on the grid ended up losing money / sponsorship which then lead to them not being able to further invest in R&D to get them on the grid.

In the '80s/very early '90s they had pre-qualifying for slower/new teams rather than the 107% rule. That came in for 1996, usually only proving a headache for Forti who (predictably) folded mid-season. The Mastercard Lolas were (again, predictably) removed from the '97 Australian GP because of it, and Tyrrell had problems as well during their twilight season.

The FIA removed it for the 2003 season, but reintroduced it in 2011. It hasn't DQ'd a driver since the HRTs got sent packing from Australia '12, anyone who fell foul of it since was allowed to race due to showing enough speed in practice and/or incidents outside of their control impeding their ability to get a representative lap in. Additionally, if qualifying is declared as a wet session then the 107% rule is not applied.

Associate

According to Wikipedia, as recently as the 2021 French Grand Prix, where Lance Stroll set a time of 2:12.584 against:

Pole time: 1:31:001
107% time: 1:37:371

He was allowed to race as Schumacher's crash brought an early end to the session and Stroll had a lap time deleted when he went off the track at the sixth turn, so was unable to set a representative lap time.

Can't remember a recent time where a car has outright been excluded due to poor pace alone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom