Facebook Messenger Scam

Soldato
I’d like to think I’m fairly savvy when it comes to online scams. I use strong passwords and 2FA, I lock down my privacy settings on social media apps, I never click on dodgy links or open random attachments, etc.

Yesterday an old college friend reconnected with me on Messenger and we started catching up. It’s been almost 20 years since I’ve seen them, but we’ve been FB friends for as long as I can remember.

They brought up various specific events from our past, not the kind of thing you could have guessed from reading someone’s FB timeline (not that I post anything these days anyway).

It was all going well, and then they started with a sob story about how they’ve been hit with a big bill and needed £20 to tide them over until pay day.

Now, most of my friends are fairly affluent so this kind of story would never wash, but with this particular friend, it could be plausible.

Obviously my spidey senses start to tingle, especially when they were so keen for me to send them my bank details so they could “pay me back asap.”

My curiosity got the better of me and I said ok, and they sent over their info.

Everything checked out - the sort code matched a branch in the town where they live. My bank said their account name matched the account and sort code.

Of course, I didn’t send them any money - they’re now blocked and reported on FB, and I’ve informed their bank.

What I can’t work out is whether it was a scammer who has hacked my friend’s account, or whether it was actually them and they’re involved in some sort of Money Mule situation.

If it was a scammer, they must have been using Messenger to talk to mutual friends to gather enough stories to come across as genuine, but how did they open a bank account in my friend’s name in their home town? It all seems very elaborate.

My biggest concern is that they now have information about me that they could use to convince other mutual friends that they’re genuine - maybe friends that aren’t so sceptical.

Anyone come across anything like this before?

Soldato
Sounds like your friends account has been compromised and this is a social engineering attack.

I believe you are talking to a man called George Agdgdgwngo.

If you send me £50.00 then I can check if it’s actually him?

Commissario
Everything checked out - the sort code matched a branch in the town where they live. My bank said their account name matched the account and sort code.

They brought up various specific events from our past, not the kind of thing you could have guessed from reading someone’s FB timeline (not that I post anything these days anyway).

What did they say when you phoned them to ask if it was them or not?

It could well be genuine.

Many years ago, I found myself in a situation where I needed money quickly and I made a Facebook post asking for help. Some friends very generously bunged me a few quid and it was an absolute life saver. It took a while but I’m pretty sure I paid them all back (if you’re reading this and I didn’t pay you back, you know how to contact me).

Soldato
OP
Are you defo sure it was a scammer? A video call normally puts any doubts like this to bed.

The amount of effort some people go through to scam people doesn’t surprise me these days though!

What did they say when you phoned them to ask if it was them or not?

It could well be genuine.

I don’t have their phone number but in hindsight, a video call would have been a good shout.

The thing is, I haven’t spoken to them for years. It’s one thing to put a post out to everyone saying you’re in a tight spot and could do with some help. It’s slightly different contacting someone from your past, completely out of the blue, and asking for money.

Soldato
If it were me, I would say ‘sorry I haven’t heard from you for a while. Can I call you to discuss this and help?’. Guarantee no response!

Soldato
Thats a lot of effort to go to for £20, i'd be skeptical to but if they really knew that much about your history, the account matching up and a long standing existing FB account/connection etc then i'd probably lean towards it being more legit than a scam for that amount of money.

At worst you loose £20 to a scammer or you help someone in desperate need. if they come back asking for more then yeah that's alarm bells.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I’ve spoken to a few other mutual friends and he has been doing the same thing.

Someone did send him some money, but “the bank took it straight away”, and he kept asking for more.

I’m still not 100% certain if it’s a scam or just someone on the blag, but I think I’ve dodged a bullet.

If anything like this happens again, I’ll definitely go for the video call to see if it’s legit.

It could be that your friend has become a scammer?

Start with 20 quid, then clean you out later :(

Yeah, could be something like that. Or some form of laundering - like when he pays you back, he adds an extra 0 “by mistake” but then asks you to repay the £180 into a different account or something. I’d just rather not be involved.

It’s all quite sad whatever the reason for it.

Soldato
How well did you know this person, I would've said meet me in a coffee shop or pub and lets have a catch up over a drink, then if they were genuine wouldn't have an issue giving them £20

Associate
I wouldn’t give him any money regardless if he was real or not, if you haven’t bothered with each other for 15-20 years and he is randomly asking for money, I would tell him to get stuffed unless he makes the effort and meets you in person.

I once managed a guy at work who only lived 30 minutes away, but was constantly late by a couple of hours, we had to sack him, a couple of weeks or so later he was texting people in our team asking to borrow 20 quid , when we all said no it was then 10 quid etc. I was adamant that he had a drug problem and needed to fund his habit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How well did you know this person, I would've said meet me in a coffee shop or pub and lets have a catch up over a drink, then if they were genuine wouldn't have an issue giving them £20

Not well enough (these days) to go out of my way to meet up, if that makes sense. If he said “hey, I’m going to be passing by next weekend”, then sure. But he lives quite a way from me and it would cost him £20 just to get here on public transport.

Back
Top Bottom