Factorio on steam

Associate
Tried the demo and had to go further. Got to a point where I was setting up defences then I got eaten. Started again this morning, had 2 games and both only lasted 25-30 minutes before I got attacked and eaten. :( Tricky little game, quite addictive though.

Make a gun pretty early on and try to not put your base near the wolves (or whatever they are). And you should be fine. After that you will need turrets.

Associate
Watched this game awhile back on a Youtube series and always looked pretty cool decided now's the time to pick it up :)

£15 seems cracking price for something that is essentially an open world builder.

And i love that the download is only 250mb its a godsend on my rubbish net.

Associate
Already clocked 10hours in this game yikes, Time killer or what.

Aliens started doing my nut in, It seems if you ignore them they will just start to overwhelm a bit to much unless i want to place 100s of turrets, So going on a huge killing spree at the moment trying to clear the area a little bit more.

But 10/10 making a huge mess on the ground xD

Associate
Already clocked 10hours in this game yikes, Time killer or what.

Aliens started doing my nut in, It seems if you ignore them they will just start to overwhelm a bit to much unless i want to place 100s of turrets, So going on a huge killing spree at the moment trying to clear the area a little bit more.

But 10/10 making a huge mess on the ground xD

Stone wall + turrents + conveyor with ammo is holding so far for me (not that far in yet though).
I did get overrun when just had turrets though had to grab what I could and move.

Soldato
OP
Just found out its not currently possible to host a dedicated server with the steam version of this game, it will only allow basic listen server hosting (with player as the server)

Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Just found out its not currently possible to host a dedicated server with the steam version of this game, it will only allow basic listen server hosting (with player as the server)

Deleted.

You can "host" a headless server. I am hosting a few now but it just connects as an always on client and is still based on p2p at the moment. Seems to work ok for 2-3 people though.

dal

dal

Associate
The trick with this game is to research & build laser turrets ASAP . In the meantime you want plenty of gun turrets & as had been said stone walls. The more power you consume the more pollution you produce which causes the biters to attack, you can see the pollution if you press alt (I think ) as red on the map.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Been playing this for a few days and having a blast of a time! Had four of us doing multiplayer build, unfortunately two of them (including the one who was hosting) are now offshore for two weeks again! Already clocked 24 hours playtime over this week between multiplayer and a few short bouts of singleplayer!

I absolutely loved the automation-style mods for Minecraft (IndustrialCraft for example) so this is right up my street! It's always satisfying ripping apart huge chunks of the automation line and redesigning it for efficiency! :D

Man of Honour
Succumbed and paid the price.

Having fun, but think i'll restart, god I didn't plan properly. I know you can just pic everything up again, but everything needs re doing.

Man of Honour
Succumbed and paid the price.

Having fun, but think i'll restart, god I didn't plan properly. I know you can just pic everything up again, but everything needs re doing.

I restarted after about 30 mins or so the first time but the second time I just let things grow naturally. You should see how ridiculously messy my base is :p That said, it's kind of fun trying to make things work in the chaos of it all.

Eventually I'll restart properly and make everything perfect forever.

Associate
I took a punt on this based on this thread - absolutely loving it. Tearing stuff up and redesigning is a joy. Got a really cool auto research array set up last night for the first time, after quite a bit of puzzling it was extremely rewarding when the next research branch completed within seconds of firing it up. Cant wait to delve deeper... :D

GDL

GDL

Associate
I took a punt on this based on this thread - absolutely loving it. Tearing stuff up and redesigning is a joy. Got a really cool auto research array set up last night for the first time, after quite a bit of puzzling it was extremely rewarding when the next research branch completed within seconds of firing it up. Cant wait to delve deeper... :D

Same, so far I've had more hours in this than the new Tomb Raider, and I'm also having more fun with this.:eek:

dal

dal

Associate

Just wait until you've got construction bots building factories for you

Soldato
OP
right, just installed Linux and got the server file 'factorio_headless_x64_0.12.24.tar.gz' read the wiki for starting a server but it makes no sense to me I don't know how to run commands in this OS I have always used windows with a simple .bat file containing all the code and run it, I have no idea how to create binary's and run script on linux its all alien to me :( and also the factorio file has no file extension at the end so it cant be run is that right?

Associate
right, just installed Linux and got the server file 'factorio_headless_x64_0.12.24.tar.gz' read the wiki for starting a server but it makes no sense to me I don't know how to run commands in this OS I have always used windows with a simple .bat file containing all the code and run it, I have no idea how to create binary's and run script on linux its all alien to me :( and also the factorio file has no file extension at the end so it cant be run is that right?

Yes its ok for bin files to have no extension in Linux.
If you are running the server from a pc or VM with a GUI just open a terminal window. You may need to use root user for some of it.
I got it setup relatively easily but have a bit of background in linux.
Which version of linux are you using I used CentOS and was pretty painless. You wont be doing any of this outside of command line by the way.
.25 was just released which may allow you to run headless from windows by looks of it.
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=20510

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom