Finally a fix to OLED VRR near black gamma flicker?

Soldato
Someone has posted a guide on the 3d guru forum claiming to have completely stopped all VRR flicker on his OLED.

His "solution" isn't very complicated; use the CRU tool to create to a custom windows resolution for your monitor or TV and set the max refresh rate to 10hz below native for the panel. So if it's a 120hz TV, set the refresh to 110hz.

And that's it, they claim capping the window output refresh to 10hz below the monitor's native max will stop all VRR flickering. However don't be confused with framerate and refresh, capping framerate to 10fps below max refresh does not fix flicker, only capping the refresh will fix the flicker according to the users

Soldato
OP
Someone can try it and report results

Saw this from another post on that forum, guy has a 240hz woled monitors

"Fixed flicker with CRU for Gsync!

Just set 24-229Hz in refresh range and edit 1440p resolution in Display ID data block to 230Hz (double click on it and just edit Hz).
Tested so far Diablo 4 HDR as it has prominent when loading - grey flicker - No More !

Finally fixed permanently, VRR works as it does with IPS !!
Tested in:
BF 2042 HDR no loading screen strobing/flicker
Diablo 4 HDR ^^same ^^
Forza H5 HDR ^^same ^^
Razer Synapse no flicker in Studio Mode (I have Huntsman V2 Linear + Naga Trinity combo)
No flicker in Photoshp also.

UPD.2
Explanation:
The problem is that, the signaling goes beyond safe bounds thus flicker/strobing occurs (My monitor is 240Hz so im assuming that, value 230Hz is safe and in-bounds).
Tweak is about to have much safer Signal Out of bounds margin of 10Hz."

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've not seen VRR flicker in a game since the AW3423DW got the recent firmware update, so no point in testing this. Unless someone can point out a game where it still happens then I can't test it. I was seeing VRR flicker at 144Hz before anyway (monitor is 175Hz of course but at 10-bit it's 144Hz).

Soldato
I've not seen VRR flicker in a game since the AW3423DW got the recent firmware update, so no point in testing this. Unless someone can point out a game where it still happens then I can't test it. I was seeing VRR flicker at 144Hz before anyway (monitor is 175Hz of course but at 10-bit it's 144Hz).

I have the AW3423DWF running custom CRU with 10bit at 160hz.

Associate
I tried and it hasn't fixed vrr flicker.

It seems like it is similar to the fix that others in here have suggested. They run at 144 and that reduces or eliminates a certain type of flicker that sometimes appear in app. Eg for me razer synapse and fan control can kick off the flicker.

But in games where the fps is jumping around, the flicker is still there.

Back
Top Bottom