First Home - Renovation Project

Associate
OP
Dealt with some damp problems in the living room, coated the area in a latex polymer concrete slurry (tanking agent), followed by a concrete scratch coat which contains integral waterproofer - this will prevent any damp until I can deal with the external render and add proper drainage.

Living room:
2wmg7wy.jpg

iw44ch.jpg

2eok50i.jpg

w1r5uv.jpg

33kbsxg.jpg

Kitchen done:
2gwfd6u.jpg

246maf5.jpg

9uawep.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Finished running cables.

100M of 2.5mm speak cable (100% copper) for 5.1 surround sound system
3 X Cat6 for Living room TV (2 for HDMI over Cat Baluns + 1 for TV network)
3 X Cat6 for Bedroom TV (2 for HDMI of Cat Baluns + 1 for TV network)
2 X Cat6 for my computer area.

Also have 100M Double-screened PF100 Coax cable to run when I have time, will have two runs going under the stairs ready for Satellite TV - rather do it myself because I use better quality cable and hide it in the ceiling. Sky installers will just fit cheap shotgun coax and leave it on show, no thanks!

I went for factory shielded Cat6 cable by Duronic to prevent any noise from all the power cables that were sharing the joist space (including a beefy 6mm for the oven), better safe than sorry!

16hults.jpg

2vuea1k.jpg

2uo5swo.jpg

2cdkfbm.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Forgot to mention, used Knuaf Acoustic Roll Insulation (75mm) between the stud walls up stairs and using 100mm Earthwool in the downstairs ceiling area to prevent the heating rising up stairs and for sound dampening.

ephfeu.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
2e3v802.jpg

Came home to find the cabling was messed up :( The left and right speaker cable wasn't symmetrical and he boarded over the sub-woofer cable in the corner, good job he didn't plaster today! But apart from that, you are looking at a 5.1 Surround sound setup, power socket hidden behind tv, 3 X single sockets just in case the front speakers and sub are independently powered ;) and 3 X cat6 cable which will feed HD content from my centralised AV system under the stairs.

2d0f98o.jpg

Coming on nicely

2sb8kr6.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The builder is ****ed off, I've decided to take down a wall just before he was going to skim it :) The door lining is too small, I want a 30" opening to match the rest of my doors (as opposed to 26") + its not centered properly and will look out of place when I fit the kitchen. This will be rebuilt and plastered by Saturday, hopefully...

2r4mlj8.jpg

The rest of the room is taking shape now

ncxf7r.jpg

9740bb.jpg

This area will be rebuilt, I'm waiting for a bracket to arrive so that I can remove the supporting post of the stairs and open it up for my av system and server ;)

2yn1mya.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The kitchen doorway is now center and larger (a couple of inches make all the difference ;))

301euci.jpg

8x3lw9.jpg

ek54ex.jpg

erby4z.jpg

All the plastering will be finished by Tuesday, then onto to finishing the electrics, fitting the radiators and flooring

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Small update, was too dark to take pictures of the kitchen progress

dcwi9s.jpg

Frustrating issue with cable, the Cat6 is too long and the speaker cable is really limited - with either have to place the AV receiver high up to reach them, or terminate the speaker cable into a audio wall plate first...

9ftct1.jpg

on a brighter note, the gap under the stairs will fit a server rack perfectly ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Coming along niceley here, i love the look of a room with a fresh coat of plasgter! I'm hoping to get my kitchen to where yours in within the next few weeks, im running out of space though, all my tools and things are currently in my living room which is due to be carpeted soon and dont know where to put everything after that.

Do you have an idea of a completion date for the full project?

Soldato
Bloody love threads like this. Currently saving like a mad man for a deposit for a house and have been toying with buying something that comes up that needs a lot of work for cheap as I like the challenge and freedom you get with something like this.

However the Mrs is fancying something that needs minimal work doing and just needs repapering/carpeting.

Associate
Bloody love threads like this. Currently saving like a mad man for a deposit for a house and have been toying with buying something that comes up that needs a lot of work for cheap as I like the challenge and freedom you get with something like this.

However the Mrs is fancying something that needs minimal work doing and just needs repapering/carpeting.

Yeah that's the problem isn't it. My brother and his wife just moved into a new house, new area and was twice the price of the last area so had to get a fixer upper....which was fine until my sister in law is now pregnant and my brother is out the country a lot lol...now the fixer upper doesn't look so good :)

Back
Top Bottom