Focus 1.8 or 2.0?

Soldato
Hello,

We're downgrading the Mondeo (2.5) (engine and size wise) to something slightly smaller and more fuel efficient - a 2002 Focus.

What's the difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 engines like? Parkers puts the MPG at 37 vs 32 (14% increase), and BHP at 113 vs 128 (12% increase) with a 10s vs 9s 0-60s. We're currently doing around 18k miles, so not too many, but more MPG would be nice.

I will also occasionally be towing around 950kg - this seems like an easy excuse to get the 2L, but however most tow sites seems to think the 1.8 will cope fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Don
With that many miles and that much towing weight, you're not considering a diesel?

What he said.. A 2.0 / 1.8 Petrol might be capable of pulling 950kg, but a diesel will manage it far better. At 18k miles a year, there are savings to be made on fuel economy too (although perhaps offset by the higher running costs).

Soldato
OP
Not sure I really believe 18k miles and perhaps 4 tows a year really justify going derv - fuel savings would be about 500 litres a year, but BHP drops significantly and running costs would increase. I guess I could try one, see how it feels.

Man of Honour
1.8 old shape focus is utter ***** ive had mondeos with the same 1.8 engine the piston rings went and i've heard its common

can't you swap your mondeo for another mondeo but a facelift (05-) tdci euro 4 they do 48mpg+ all day long, cheap to tax, the late mondeos have different pumps and injectors, pumps are a lot better, injectors last about 150k, just got the dmf to worry about

Man of Honour
I don't know if this applies to pre 2005 focus but I believe the 2.0 is a Peugeot design and has a lot more to go wrong with it than the 1.8.

thats not true, i know someone who had a new shape tdci mondeo 140ps with the psa engine, he put 160k on it, hardly anything was changed - same clutch, injectors, dmf, pump, turbo ect.. it was serviced on time everytime at main dealer was a company car

Soldato
1.8 old shape focus is utter ***** ive had mondeos with the same 1.8 engine the piston rings went and i've heard its common

The 1.8L and the 2.0L engines are virtually identical. Both are the later "black top" iron blocked Zetec E engines, widely regarded as robust and cheap to run and maintain.

Back
Top Bottom