****Folding@home setup guide****

Soldato
There's no such thing as a password but if you want the early completion bonus points then you do need a passkey which is just for you. There's a FAQ on how to get one on Stanford's site.

Is your hardware good enough to make use of -bigadv?

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, nowhere near. You need a PC with a minimum of 16 threads these days. I used to happily, if slowly, run -bigadv on my i7 860 then a bit better on my i7 2600K but Stanford moved the goalposts at the start of the year and I don't think there are any single CPUs that still make the grade. It's just -advmethods for us now.

Oh, and don't waste time/effort folding on an AMD GPU. Although the V7 client is much better than V6 , it's still miles behind what you'll get from the equivalent Nvidia card.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is only a waste of time and effort if you are in it for the points alone, you can still help with the science very capably with what you have got.

Associate
guys, i've just set up FAH control v7 and got it all running for team 10.

Now i just did the express install and it started to fold, how do i know its using my i5 3750k and my 7970? I can hear the coil whine on the GPU, and in after burner its at 53% usage, the i5 is at 100% load..

Is there anyways to tell its all working correctly?

oh, i've just changed the mode and can see both smp and the 7970 doing its thing...

Last edited:
Soldato
What you may find is you get better PPD by leaving a core free. It's not just the GPU which it can handle, also other background tasks that otherwise slow the whole process down. Try it and see.

Soldato
So setting the CPU number to use as 7 would correct since its a 3770k yeah?

I had seen around 52,000 PPD

Also for those of you who fold on your main system while using it, whats the best way to keep 'snappy' performance while browsing the net and stuff? Mine has a small delay while doing things due to folding which i'd like to minimize if possible without effecting folding too much. It's only noticeable when using the GPU to fold

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom