Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 14th April 2006

Man of Honour
rich99million said:
hehe :p

A heavily overclocked X2 with some really good WUs - good for 3,300 points in a week it would seem
that bit is believeable but we all know conc likes to play those g**e things a lot :eek: :p

commence the torture mister mattus - make him talk :D

how come? my X2 only produces 1,500pt a week..

Soldato
Ah, I forgot about the X2! Then I suggest we let him play but don't let him win :p

Admiral Huddy said:

It depends on WUs. My single-core A64 can produce 400-420ppd fairly easily on 364-pointers. If I was lucky enough to get eight or nine of them in a row, and I left my PC on all week, I could collect 2940 points that week from one CPU. So 4000 is definitely possible on an X2.

Whether it counts as a single cruncher or not.. well.. ;)

Soldato
OP
Admiral Huddy said:
my guess would be beta WUs since he's had quite a few 677pointers which are DGromacs Beta WUs which should utilise the SSE2 capability of the A64 and above

3,300 is an average of 236 PPD per core, with the 677pointer on my rig I can get 150 PPD and that's at 2.2GHz without SSE2

of course it's also possible he got very lucky with timing and managed to finish a couple of WUs just after the cut-off last week and just before the cut-off this week

if you keep a fairly keen eye on your X2 you might want to sign up to the beta group so you can get it some more demanding (and rewarding) work - i posted details in last week's news post about requirements and where you go to join

Soldato
rich99million said:
my guess would be beta WUs since he's had quite a few 677pointers which are DGromacs Beta WUs which should utilise the SSE2 capability of the A64 and above

3,300 is an average of 236 PPD per core, with the 677pointer on my rig I can get 150 PPD and that's at 2.2GHz without SSE2

Good point. My A64 is working on a big beta DGromacs which is giving about 310ppd.

of course it's also possible he got very lucky with timing and managed to finish a couple of WUs just after the cut-off last week and just before the cut-off this week

Could be. I love when that happens to me :p

Soldato
OP
rich99million said:
if you keep a fairly keen eye on your X2 you might want to sign up to the beta group so you can get it some more demanding (and rewarding) work - i posted details in last week's news post about requirements and where you go to join

decided i may aswell bung it in here anyway :p

There is some pretty hefty work available for beta testing at the moment, probably better suited to A64 and above as my XP is choking on them a little.

Please don't join the beta group just for the extra points though - they need people who will be able to report back with any problems as soon as possible and who know enough about computers to be able to rule out any effects from anything else running on their systems.

If you wish to join you'll need to have an account for the folding forums and post in this thread and...

Please include a short statement of your qualifications and why you would like to be added. If you fail to do this, you will not be eligible to join the beta team.

Once again - please do not join just for the chance of extra points, you must be willing and able to contribute to the testing of new work - also the points are not always good for beta work, sometimes for instance work is released with much lower points than it should really have - these are not always fully re-credited, you are also more likely to get EUEs which can result in partial credit worth much less than the share of the WU that was completed

Anyway just thought it was worth making you aware that there is more to folding than a repetitive stream af dull 56 pointers :o
Who's up for some? :D

Soldato
Beta work is definitely best for points at the moment. I actually haven't had an EUE on a beta unit for quite a while - these DGromacs tend to be pretty stable.

I would agree that it's not just for points though - if you're in the beta team you're kinda on the 'front line' of development, so you have to be willing to keep an eye on your hardware and report back any strange behaviour.

I like the points but mainly I like seeing new things first :p

Soldato
OP
Concorde Rules said:
smug ******* :p

lets see you do the same again this week - and none of that re-installing windows and forgetting to back-up the registry key to inflate your CPU count malarky :o

hehe seriously though good work fella - you're not making it any easier trying to resist spending the new bed/furniture fund on a lovely X2 crunching beast :eek:

Man of Honour
Soldato
rich99million said:
You're not making it any easier trying to resist spending the new bed/furniture fund on a lovely X2 crunching beast...
So who says that we just take up a collection and get Rich a 3800+. It would be a good investment in the long run becasue we wouldn't have to spend our valuable billable hours paying witness to his bellyachin' :p

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
So who says that we just take up a collection and get Rich a 3800+. It would be a good investment in the long run becasue we wouldn't have to spend our valuable billable hours paying witness to his bellyachin' :p
hehe - and the room went quiet :p

I will get one, or some kind of upgrade - probably second hand though :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sorry to rub it in but..........X2s are 4tw :D

In the unlikely event that my Opty 170 (@2.6GHz) got two 364 pointers at the same time, that would give me a ppd of about 950 for one rig, (the [email protected] wouldn't be far behind - that would be approximately 1900 ppd for just two rigs :eek:

Pity it's very unlikely to happen :( Still, one lives in hope :D

Stan :)

Soldato
cert.php

\o/

Finally :D

Man of Honour
Soldato
I don't mean to pry, Creature, but is everything going okay on your machine? Taking 56 work units to get to 1000 points makes it seem like something's fishy. You're averaging around 18 points per work unit and the lowest you can get for a long time now has been 41 points. I haven't done the math yet but looking over your WUs completed I think you might have an EUE problem.

Am I jumping to conclusions? Please tell me I am.

-BTI

P.S. You might consider signing up for the single-machine crunchers category in the news. :)

Soldato
Yer that is a bit wierd Creature. Check that you machine is fully stable before doing F@H otherwise it renders your results pretty pointless for a load of WUs. I would have thought that it would have taken more of about 5 - 10 WUs to crank out 1000 points normally.

Soldato
OP
Admiral Huddy said:
don't look now Huddy but looks like you're getting a few 364 pointers - linky :eek: :D
infact just over the last 24 hours you've dumped 1,208 points worth of WUs :cool:

Creature I wouldn't worry about checking for stability - all the bad WUs were done back in december according to your EOC Stats and it doesn't look to me like you've had any since then :)

Back
Top Bottom