Fractal?

Soldato
Power supplies are not my thing, really.
Normally, I just buy a Corsair and be done with it.
However, I need PSU that is more about efficiency than it is about power. 550W is more than enough.
Corsair don't really have anything suitable any more, tending to concentrate on larger PSU's. The most appropriate of theirs seems to be the RM750x, but that is too big and I seem to be paying a tad too much for that capacity.
However I spotted the Fractal Design Ion+ 2 560W 80 PLUS Platinum. It has a ten year guarantee, is reasonably priced, and has an acceptable power output at 560W. And, of course, it has an even higher efficiency, which is really good. So, it seems to meet my needs much better than the Corsair.
Now being an expert in these things, can anyone tell me which is the better of the two?

Last edited:
Associate
Better is always relative. The Fractal supply has been available for over 2 years, has a 10 year warranty, fully modular, high efficiency and it looks like you can set the fan to 0rpm when fan cooling isn't needed.

I'd get the Fractal of the two personally.

Man of Honour
Reviews are of the original not the new version. Efficiency depends on the load you are going to put on it. The more you pull from it the less efficient it is. With the origional Ion+ it was most efficient up to around 335w and once above that the efficiency got worse so you should aim to be drawing around 50% of it's max capacity for peak efficiency.

For arguements sake you could buy a Phanteks Amp 650w which is only 1-2% less efficient than the Fractal and around £25-30 cheaper as well. You would save more by buying the Phanteks than you ever would save in electricity if you bought the Fractal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom