Frankly obscene Ring 42.8% subscription increase

Commissario
I've just had an email from Ring:

Thank you for being a Ring Protect Basic subscriber. We want to let you know about an upcoming change to your subscription.
Starting 11 March 2024, the price of Ring Protect Basic will change from £34.99/year to £49.99/year per device. Learn more about the upcoming price change.

Nothing on the link gives any reason for this obscene 42.8% increase in cost. My subscription renews on the 1st March so it gives me a year to look for a replacement for my Ring, three chimes and a solar panel.

/edit - If your subscription isn't due before the 11th March, look to cancel it now and get a refund. Then sign up straight away again and then you'll get a year at the current rate.

Last edited:
Soldato

Thank you for being a Ring Protect Basic subscriber. We want to let you know about an upcoming change to your subscription.
Starting 11 March 2024, the price of Ring Protect Basic will change from £34.99/year to £49.99/year per device. Learn more about the upcoming price change.

Nothing on the link gives any reason for this obscene 42.8% increase in cost. My subscription renews on the 1st March so it gives me a year to look for a replacement for my Ring, three chimes and a solar panel.
Time to switch it to a Reolink. No subscription

Associate
Had not read the email correctly, thought it was only £5 more!

Mine runs till October so time to look for a replacement (been meaning to as wanted to add additional cameras anyway as currently only have the doorbell)

Commissario
OP
That's a pretty big jump. That said, I'll probably stay with Ring as it does what I want and the doorbell works.
Less than two years ago, they went from £25 to £35 so this hurts even more. When they increased the price in July 2022, they justified it by increasing the amount of time videos were stored but this time there's no reason apart from being thieving gits.

Soldato

Simplisafe have increased my monitoring plan by 40% in 18 months, I need to phone and have a whinge as that's just way above inflation. I get that costs have gone up and had they increased it by 15% I'd have probably felt it was fully justified. But 40% just feels like they're taking the ****.

Associate
paid mine about 2 months ago so ok for a bit, but still wish for a easy way to record the video from it .
looked at recording it to phone but seems phone is early samsung so no go . just hope someone finds a easy way and the subscription will not be renewed. ideally a idiot proof way :)

Man of Honour
What do you make of the Unifi doorbell.
People press it and I get a notification, IQ is fine, and with a bit of home-assistant messing it also notifies my Alexa show in the kitchen. Wish I had the Pro if I'm honest as you can use PoE with it and have it wired, Wi-Fi reaches mine but I did originally have some issues with it as it's quite far from the closest AP. I've been very happy with it overall.

Soldato
People press it and I get a notification, IQ is fine, and with a bit of home-assistant messing it also notifies my Alexa show in the kitchen. Wish I had the Pro if I'm honest as you can use PoE with it and have it wired, Wi-Fi reaches mine but I did originally have some issues with it as it's quite far from the closest AP. I've been very happy with it overall.
See you're sucking me into the whole Unifi stuff.

Associate
Yikes, if its getting this bad I'm now more happy I went with Blink. It's more deterrent anyway, but the fact it could be battery and not wired, plus i set up the small wireless hub with a USB to get recordings. That way i could stay off a subscription even if I get toned down features.

Soldato
Why did I get an alert to a thread I've not seen or even replied to?

94fRHE9.png

I jumped ship to Reolink when it increased last time and considering this current hike, I'm glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom