Freely TV

Associate
Freely was recently announced and is a joint venture by the BBC, ITV, C4 & C5 to broadcast via IPTV.

If it’s as good as it sounds, I’ll definitely be getting rid of Sky (but not ‘til next year when it’s released).

What’s your thoughts?

Associate
I had never heard of it.

Makes sense though and I’m surprised it’s taken this long for something like this to come out (well not out yet technically)

Whilst you can access live tv through the respective apps, or get apps that launch live tv through their channels like the tv launcher app. It will be great to have access to everything through one app.

What relevance does terrestrial channels have with sky though? Is it that you use the hardware or dish as an aerial for access to those channels?

Whilst sky have the rights to hbo programmes I’ll stay a subscriber to their streaming service.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just made a thread, and then noticed this one lol

as someone who doesn't have an aerial point in all the bedrooms, and starting to wonder if paying £72 for sky stream is sensible I'm looking forward to it

Hopefully they'll have a google app for the chromecast. In fact, so long as the TV guide is decent, I think my mind is already made up

Last edited:
Soldato
What’s your thoughts?
Why has it got a stupid new name instead of just sticking with Freeview?

I’m glad there will be another option for areas with poor signal. Might also allow more 4K coverage.

Edit - if this ‘app’ is the way it should be they should get rid of iPlayer, C4, ITVX, etc. I know they won’t do that because the channels all want to say “we have x% of the audience”.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is obviously a drive at the moment to get some name recognition in place, read stories (albeit the same, main story) in a lot of publications over the last week or so.
They are harping on about a 2024 release and into the "latest generation of TV's". All fine and to be expected, don't want to try and shoehorn this into older units. What they don't seem to commit on is the idea there will be STBs available at launch.
I'm only recently moved to FreeSat and I'm happy with the service, but a completely IP service makes sense - but not in any kind of hurry to replace the TV. Hoping we get a commitment to STBs at some point.

Associate
If it was recordable, with an open and unencrypted platform so that any hardware manufacturer could make equipment to receive it then it seems reasonably sensible, just Freeview but a different delivery method, however, I suspect it wont be, and rather than recording, any timeshifting would be forced to go through streaming services with all the annoyances they bring (limited lifespan of programmes, unskippable ads etc.)

Last edited:
Soldato

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hopefully they open it up to devices like Apple TV eventually. I don’t want to buy a new TV to be able to watch freeview/freely but if I can get it on the box of my choice then great!

Associate
Arriving in Q2 2024. Still not clear why it needs to be “built in” to TVs. Surely it works like an app?

Pics of UI here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/1m7lt5v2zoxq1vvlophe8/h/Freely UI?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1
At a guess... tv license? Might make you enter your details into the built in app before it works maybe.

Associate
Hopefully they open it up to devices like Apple TV eventually. I don’t want to buy a new TV to be able to watch freeview/freely but if I can get it on the box of my choice then great!
I get the impession that it basically replaces the main TV guide on the TV and then content comes from either the aerial or internet dpending on which is connected, rather than being a separate app. Though obviously no reason why they couldn't also release an app for other devices.

TBH though, unless it's recordable I'm not interested, so hopefully regular Freeview will stick around for a long time.

Soldato
This will be great for upstairs. We have a Virgin Media Stream box which has lots of channels and is free, so that and gig1 broadband for £34. I wanted to pay a fiver a month with Virgin for the 360 box so I could have channels downstairs and then the stream box upstairs but they'd deactivate the stream box, total PITA and want to charge me extra for tv upstairs. So as Virgin can't help this will suffice for the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom