Fried Motherboard? :(

Associate
Hey,

Earlier on today I installed an extra 8gb stick of vengeance ram into my computer. Since then my computer would start running (CPU fan, GPU fan and case fans) but no video on my monitor and also noticed that the pulsating q led light on my ASUS B450M motherboard was no longer pulsing, its just a solid light. My keyboard will light up when I turn the computer on, but my mouse won't. I've looked on various forums and from what I've read it sounds like a fried board? I looked on the board for 'burnt like marks' and couldn't see anything or smell any burning when I opened the case.

I just don't know what to do from here. I did try taking out the new ram stick I'd just installed, but that still didn't work... Have I accidentally fried the board?

Last edited:
Soldato
Spec?

Were the memory matched pairs and matched pairs to the original sticks?

For now leave the sticks out and reset the CMOS - unplug computer from the wall, press the power button for a few seconds to deplete all power and then either reset CMOS via pins (or motherboard button if you have one) or remove the battery for 10 minutes.

Once done test for life...

Associate
OP
Spec?

Were the memory matched pairs and matched pairs to the original sticks?

For now leave the sticks out and reset the CMOS - unplug computer from the wall, press the power button for a few seconds to deplete all power and then either reset CMOS via pins (or motherboard button if you have one) or remove the battery for 10 minutes.

Once done test for life...

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock
ASUS Prime B450M-K
GTX 1060 6GB
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
120GB Kingston SSD
WD Blue 1TB HDD
600w Corsair PSU

I had 1x8GB stick for about a year, then added the exact same make and model of RAM with the same MHz and then this all happened... No idea how you take a battery out of a motherboard. This will be my first time doing it, but I'll give it a shot.

Soldato
You have a clear CMOS button on that board

Ignore site linked to wrong manual

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a noob, Idk how to do either lol!
Look for the pins labelled CLRTC then:
  • unplug computer from the wall
  • press the case power button for a few seconds to deplete all power
  • and then briefly touch the two pins (+3v and GND) with a screw driver (shorting them - clearing cmos))
  • plug pc back in
  • power on and hit delete if it powers on..
Test away...

Soldato
Yes, I left the latest stick out

Try another quick CMOS reset - follow instructions to the letter:
  • Look for the pins labelled CLRTC
  • and then briefly touch the two pins (+3v and GND) with a screw driver (shorting them - clearing cmos))
  • plug pc back in
Test away...

Associate
OP
Try another quick CMOS reset - follow instructions to the letter:
  • Look for the pins labelled CLRTC
  • plug pc back in
Test away...

Success!!!! I'm now in the BIOS

Soldato
Great, I'm into windows now. What shall I do about my other stick? Do you think I should RMA it and just buy a kit of Ram instead?

I had 1x8GB stick for about a year, then added the exact same make and model of RAM with the same MHz .

Check that the sticks match - look at stickers.

You could to test the new stick on it's own.

Replace the original stick with the new one and see what happens. (Be sure PSU is switched off - deplete power before installing)

Worse case scenario is that you have to clear the CMOS again.

*quick question first, what is the spec of of the memory?

Back
Top Bottom