• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

From a i5 2500k to a i7 6700k: my impressions

Associate
Running a 4.7ghz i5 3570k. Semi convinced I should upgrade to Skylake (so I can pass this machine on to the missus of course, why else? *cough*)

I have the itch!

Soldato
i went from 2600k at 4.6 to 4790k now at 4,5 i can do 4,7 don't need it at the moment , seen good improvements in minimum fps and averages , smoother gameplay.

was using 980 gtx at the time when i changed cpus . was playing dying light and gta 5 at time great improvements i expect 6700 should be even better.

also was using 120 hz 1080p screen at the time without gsync maybe with gsync as i have now it would be less noticeable .

hope it helps

Soldato
So now im happy with my 6700K i was gona sell my 2700K, anybody know how much they go for these days? OCuK MM? the Bay? Am i meant to ask this in the MM forums? Didnt wana start a thread there just for this one question :)

Soldato
So now im happy with my 6700K i was gona sell my 2700K, anybody know how much they go for these days? OCuK MM? the Bay? Am i meant to ask this in the MM forums? Didnt wana start a thread there just for this one question :)

there is a price check section in the MM, checks etc are not allowed outside the MM area so do a post in there and people can give you a price

Soldato
Good that you've seen gains but your results are slightly confounded by the games you mention (which use more than 4 threads).

Is there a list of games which use more then 4 threads. I was surprised to see people insisting Arma3 is almost single thread, not sure if thats the consensus

I've experienced the same effect from a CPU upgrade regarding massively improved framerates in most games although,
The mystery to me is why some people are genuinely seeing these large benefits while it seems as though others aren't.

Games and thread use varies a lot I think, which games do you play

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking of going with a 6700k but I want that bump in 2018 when Intel go mainstream 6 core. Hopefully it will be just under £400 :D

Caporegime
Is there a list of games which use more then 4 threads. I was surprised to see people insisting Arma3 is almost single thread, not sure if thats the consensus

Games and thread use varies a lot I think, which games do you play

arma is poorly done. you do want cpu power but as much as the power the actual server you play on and its spec can be as dramatic a effect on your fps as your cpu.

Soldato
Also adding another question to this thread,

You can see my spec below (2500K @ 4.6ghz) and I'm only recently having some problems with my CPU.

I can't seem to play Overwatch & stream at the same time, the CPU just can't handle it. It appears the the load is just too great, with FPS drops all over the place.

A little lazy in asking but given price vs performance etc, is it worth the upgrade now or wait for the next release?

Thanks

Soldato
Streaming on one pc is asking a lot for just 4 threads, if you had 8 it might work a lot better. Your demands are top end when you ask both to be done perfectly, bit of a compliment to the hardware to know its only just a problem for you on such an old cpu

Soldato
Streaming on one pc is asking a lot for just 4 threads, if you had 8 it might work a lot better. Your demands are top end when you ask both to be done perfectly, bit of a compliment to the hardware to know its only just a problem for you on such an old cpu

Indeed correct, it's the only game I have ever had issues streaming. That said, previous experience with TF2 wasn't exactly hugely demanding.

Now the jump on board or wait :)

Back
Top Bottom