Fuji X Series

Soldato
I'll have the 35mm tomorrow...

X-E1 arrived today, I've only got adapted lenses to play with at the moment. If I do keep the X-E1 I think I'll have to get a grip and thumb rest, it doesn't handle well with the lenses I have. Perhaps it'll be better with the Fuji 35mm. The EVF lag in low light is painful.

Associate
Bought a XM1 last week and sent off for the free telephoto lens. I'm taking the camera travelling to asia this summer.
I'm after a bit of a faster lens, maybe a prime to take with me.
Has anyone bought the X series prime lenses and what are your experiences with them?

I have the 18mm f2 and the 35mm f1.4. Both are pretty fantastic to be honest. The 35mm is sharp wide open, and AF is fast enough on my X-E2, but it's a bit tight on crop for me personally- I have to say I have more fun with the 18mm, which is just a fabulous lens for the money, and also light and compact.

Here's a few from the 18mm:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48874821@N08/sets/72157644625507482/

Will post some examples from the 35mm- haven't had a chance to copy any from the camera yet.

I'm very interested in the upcoming 16mm f1.4 and how it performs. I'd like the 23mm f1.4 too, but between the 16mm, 35mm and the 18mm for compactness, I think that'll be me covered.

Associate
I'll have the 35mm tomorrow...

X-E1 arrived today, I've only got adapted lenses to play with at the moment. If I do keep the X-E1 I think I'll have to get a grip and thumb rest, it doesn't handle well with the lenses I have. Perhaps it'll be better with the Fuji 35mm. The EVF lag in low light is painful.

Have you got the latest firmware (Power on while holding "Disp")? If I recall they've improved it massively in a recent update.

Soldato
Yeah you're right, 2.2 just adds lens support.

Suffice to say the X-E2 (same EVF as the X-T1) is pretty impressive in low light....

Yeah, I can't buy an X-E2 for £200 though!

They did bring the lag time down on the X-E2 to the same as the X-T1, it's a different EVF though isn't it? I was under the impression it was bigger and better refresh rates? Edit: Ah it is the same res, just better magnification.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clearly I have been reminiscing about my X100 with rose tinted glasses. Just one day with the X-E1 has brought all the AF woes flooding back. It's amazing how quickly you get used to mashing the shutter button again :D

I'm not seeing why people are leaving FF for the X-Trans APS-C sensor. I prefer the IQ from my dinosaur 1Ds2. At least in low ISO, obviously high ISO is better from the X-E1. It's not massively better than the 7D though, which is what I was expecting from comments I have seen online.

I like it, but struggling to justify keeping it at the moment. Size is the only real plus, and I think on that front I'd prefer an X100 again... Still I'll have a good play with it over the weekend :)

Associate
Clearly I have been reminiscing about my X100 with rose tinted glasses. Just one day with the X-E1 has brought all the AF woes flooding back. It's amazing how quickly you get used to mashing the shutter button again :D

I'm not seeing why people are leaving FF for the X-Trans APS-C sensor. I prefer the IQ from my dinosaur 1Ds2. At least in low ISO, obviously high ISO is better from the X-E1. It's not massively better than the 7D though, which is what I was expecting from comments I have seen online.

I like it, but struggling to justify keeping it at the moment. Size is the only real plus, and I think on that front I'd prefer an X100 again... Still I'll have a good play with it over the weekend :)

If people are ditching full frame for APC-C X-Trans without researching fully, then they deserve what they get- I personally think X-Trans is great, but I wasn't expecting an A7 or M9 :D

Regarding AF, what lens are you using? I've not used the X-E1, but in decent light I'd thought the AF was supposed to be bearable....

If you wanna sell it..... I'm interested :)

Soldato
You want to read the Fuji X Forums (and the FM alt forum) , it's like the second coming :D

I'm using the 35mm f1.4, it's okay in single shot. I rarely take pictures of static objects, it's mainly candids of my daughter playing shooting wide open. I reckon the improved AF on the X-E2 & X-T1 (especially being able to track off centre and not with AF constantly running like on the X-E1) would be much better. Instead on the X-E1 you have to use the "mash the shutter button" method. It gets shots, but you miss a lot. Just for an hour in the garden last night I was shooting both the Fuji and 7D side by side and I didn't really get any nice shots from the Fuji, mainly due to the AF/shutter lag.

I like using MF Glass on it with the peaking. Overall it's great for more laid back shooting :) Which is what I expected from the X-E1, this was more of an exercise in seeing if I'd be happy with the sensor mainly. I don't see that it is for me, but I'm interested to see what their next generation brings that's for sure.

I don't like the EVF in sunlight, I might pick up an X-Pro1 instead. Although I'm going to wait to see if they do announce the X-Pro2 this year, cheaper for me 2nd hand then!

Associate
Considering selling my Canon 600d and moving to something smaller. I really like the look of the Fuji X series but can someone explain the difference between the XE2 and XPro1?

Also what is the 18-55 kit lens like? Are we talking the same level of quality kit lens that you get bundled with the Canon and Nikon?

Associate
X-Pro1 has a clever hybrid viewfinder- both optical and EVF. The x-e2 has just an EVF, but also phase detect AF. If you want an optical VF and AF performance is going to be important then perhaps wait until the X-Pro2, otherwise the Pro is a great camera and pretty cheap (especially s/h).

The 18-55 f2.8-4 is a well regarded optic, much better quality than DSLR kit lenses. The 16-50 is much more plasticcy, kittish and cheaper.

There's a 16-55 f2.8 constant coming soon, although it won't be small or cheap...

If you can, try before you sell the DSLR. I love my Fuji, it just seems to take the pics I foresee in my head before pressing the shutter, but they may not be right for everyone. Put it like this, I haven't used my DSLR since getting it, but on the other hand I haven't sold it (yet)....

Last edited:
Associate
X-Pro1 has a clever hybrid viewfinder- both optical and EVF. The x-e2 has just an EVF, but also phase detect AF. If you want an optical VF and AF performance is going to be important then perhaps wait until the X-Pro2, otherwise the Pro is a great camera and pretty cheap (especially s/h).

The 18-55 f2.8-4 is a well regarded optic, much better quality than DSLR kit lenses. The 16-50 is much more plasticcy, kittish and cheaper.

There's a 16-55 f2.8 constant coming soon, although it won't be small or cheap...

If you can, try before you sell the DSLR. I love my Fuji, it just seems to take the pics I foresee in my head before pressing the shutter, but they may not be right for everyone. Put it like this, I haven't used my DSLR since getting it, but on the other hand I haven't sold it (yet)....

That's great thanks.

Had a play with the XE2 this morning. I liked it, although its hard to form any real opinion when playing with it in the shop.

Do Fuji often do deals on these? Looking back through the thread it appears that way and although no one can predict if one will pop up or not, I'm in no rush either.

Soldato
If you're in no rush it might be worth waiting to see what fuji release around Photokina in September? The X-E1 is 18 months old and released at £749, I just bought a mint condition one with battery and card for £225 delivered... If they announce X-Pro2 and/or X-E3...

Associate
After much deliberation after considering getting the x100s as I loved the original so much,comparing prices for the xtra £160 I'm going to buy the XTI.
Which brings me to my question regarding lens for the system.
From people's experience what should I consider.
Get the body with the kit 18-55
Body only and a prime.my main interest in photography being street ,family pets and general nature shots..
At the moment I can probably afford to spend £600 on top of body only but don't mind waiting to purchase a second lens.
I value peoples experience with the lenses on offer so please post your recommendations.
Thankyou.

Soldato
Do you have lenses from any other systems? Adaptors mean you'll probably be able to use them on the X-T1. At least in the short term.

Have you used the X-Trans sensor at all? It's not for everyone. It apparently also has issues with Lightroom if you use that? (which might be why I am totally underwhelmed by it).

Associate
I'm sticking to primes, 18mm and 35mm so far, and I use the 18mm probably 80% of the time, but that's just me.

What focal lengths do you tend towards? The 23mm f1.4 and 14mm f2.8 are probably the best regarded lenses available for the system. I'm holding out for the 16mm f1.4.

Associate
If you're in no rush it might be worth waiting to see what fuji release around Photokina in September? The X-E1 is 18 months old and released at £749, I just bought a mint condition one with battery and card for £225 delivered... If they announce X-Pro2 and/or X-E3...

You're probably right but I seem to be getting a very itchy finger on the 'buy' button. Ideally wasn't really thinking about waiting till September anyway... decisions decisions...

Associate
hi Rojin just a kit lens with the 600d,no i only used the old bayer system used by the x100,i have heard mixed response to the new one.
CG i like 35mm equiv lengths of 35mm 50mm and 85-130mm

thanks food for thought

Back
Top Bottom