Fuji X Series

Associate
I've bought the 55-200 and the 60mm.

2 lenses for £713. Uber bargain.

10-24 (as long as its as good as all the other xf lenses) and I'm done.

For now.

Associate
Fuji are really pushing for the x system to become established!

They certainly are, some may say they are trying to buy the market. Either way, they have some fantastic deals but I guess the deals may also hit residuals as well when coming to sell lenses.

I've bought the 55-200 and the 60mm.

2 lenses for £713. Uber bargain.

10-24 (as long as its as good as all the other xf lenses) and I'm done.

For now.

Yeah that is a very good deal indeed. I myself am looking at the 23mm and the 14mm, both of which fall under the new/current cash back offer, but also aware the 10-24 is on the way, so think it will need to be the 14 or the 10-24.

So I have a couple of dilemmas really for what I am looking at as follows -

23mm F1.4 or an X100s (this setup would mainly be for street work and general stuff)
14mm or 10-24 (this one is a bit trickier, 14mm gets really good reviews, 10-24 image samples look equally good, one I can test now, one isn't out yet)

Would be interesting to hear others views/advice on this and any owners of any of the mentioned kit also.

Last edited:
Associate
1df#xc4mm or 10-24 (this one is a bit trickier, 14mm gets really good reviews, 10-24 image samples look equally good, one I can test now, one isn't out yet)

Would be interesting to hear others views/advice on this and any owners of any of the mentioned kit also.

I had the same thoughts. 14mm now or wait to see how the 10-24 pans out. I think there's an overlap that might help, this deal finishes on the 31st March and the 10-24 is out before?

Regards

Al

Associate
I had the same thoughts. 14mm now or wait to see how the 10-24 pans out. I think there's an overlap that might help, this deal finishes on the 31st March and the 10-24 is out before?

Regards

Al

Yes, well, thats the thing, I don't think we have had a confirmed date for release yet, unless I have missed it. I think I heard March, but that could have course be pushed back later if Fuji encounter any problems.

The zoom would be more flexible in my eyes, but as I say, the prime gets excellent reviews.

Associate
Yes, well, thats the thing, I don't think we have had a confirmed date for release yet, unless I have missed it. I think I heard March, but that could have course be pushed back later if Fuji encounter any problems.

The zoom would be more flexible in my eyes, but as I say, the prime gets excellent reviews.

It all comes down to how good it is between 10mm and 14mm. If its good or better then I'll go with the zoom. I have the 18-55 so I'm not sure how much id use the zoom past 14mm.

Still some time before a decision has to be made.

Al

Associate
OP
Today, I had a good chance to use the 35mm f/1.4 lens with the X-Pro1.

It was used indoor mostly between ISO2000 - 3200, so it was quite dark. Initial impression of the lens is very good. It gives decent amount of bokeh at f/1.4 - 2. It is slightly slower to focus indoor compared to 18mm, but I'm not sure if I have the latest firmware for the lens. Overall chuffed to have gotten this lens for free!

Here is an example:

Associate
Just a heads up, my London Collections: Men thread was entirely shot on an X-Pro 1 with the 35/1.4.

@nolimit: the 35 is definitely slower than the 18mm at focusing, but it's a great lens nonetheless.

I'm weighing up whether I should go for the 23mm atm especially with the rebates going on, 35mm (equiv) is my favourite focal length but having a 28/50 combo makes up for it. It's just that there are times where I'd really like the speed of f/1.4 with the wider FOV.

olv

olv

Soldato
Really nice shots GTRacer, there's a really nice feel to the Fuji images. Agree on the 23mm, ******* isn't specifically excluded from the latest lens cashback (would check directly with fuji first) but that would make the 23mm about £460 after cashback which is very tempting.

Focusing speed of my 35mm improved slightly when updating the firmware from v1.something to the latest v3.something. Also X-M1 is a bit faster with the 1.01 firmware. f1.4 and clean ISO6400 pretty much allows you to shoot in the dark, still very pleased with the camera.

http://www.fujirumors.com/hot-first-real-image-of-the-x-t1-on-japanese-newspaper/

X-T1 looks cool too. Rumours of 8fps with continuous focus would make it a useable sports camera.

Soldato
The flood of Fuji kit lenses on classifieds/Ebay is hilarious :D

I'm still keeping an eye on the X-E2 and how its firmware develops. I've seen a cheap X10 locally that I might buy to play around with in the meantime.

Associate
XT-1 looks pretty interesting, particularly interested myself in the claimed focus tracking abilities. Thats the main thing I miss from my dslr days.

Me too. In fact my decision to buy x-e1 over 2 was driven by the rumoured arrival of this camera. Hoping the auto focus is quicker.

Having said that I won't lose any sleep if I stick with the x-e1, I'm really loving it and the great x glass.

Al

Associate
OP
XT-1 does look very nice, however the EV wheel is blocking shutter and FN button. On the XPro1 it is hidden and slightly raised.

The viewfinder looks really big, and I'm sure it will have very good EVF.

Overall, it does not tempt me as much as X100s, and I would love to see FF X100 that blows Sony RX1 out of the water for half the cost.

Soldato
Just a heads up, my London Collections: Men thread was entirely shot on an X-Pro 1 with the 35/1.4.
I was thinking you shot with a full frame 50mm and processed with filmic grain. But no, you actually shot with Fuji. Goes to show just how good the IQ is! :D If only the video were better I would be right in there..

olv

olv

Soldato
Can someone recommend me a fast memory card to go with my X-M1? I've got a fairly bog standard Sandisk card at the minute which churns a lot when shooting RAW+jpeg.

Back
Top Bottom