• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FX60 has sneaked in, look at the lovely price.....

Associate
Why do all the sites ive been on say the fx60 will be priced at about £580? yet they charging £800 on here?

"As for pricing, AMD tells us the FX-60 will be available at $1,031 (£587.25) for a boxed version. Before the release of the FX-60, this was AMD’s stated price for the FX-57, and we expect the introduction of the FX-60 to drive the price of older processors down a fair whack."

http://www.whatpc.co.uk/personal-computer-world/hardware/2148285/mesh-xtreme-fx60

Soldato
nirok said:
Why do all the sites ive been on say the fx60 will be priced at about £580? yet they charging £800 on here?

"As for pricing, AMD tells us the FX-60 will be available at $1,031 (£587.25) for a boxed version. Before the release of the FX-60, this was AMD’s stated price for the FX-57, and we expect the introduction of the FX-60 to drive the price of older processors down a fair whack."

http://www.whatpc.co.uk/personal-computer-world/hardware/2148285/mesh-xtreme-fx60

Remember that most $ to £ translations dont work with currency exchange, they are more like exactly 1:1 ratio, so be thankful it wasnt released at £1000 + over here ( if indeed it was released at $1K +)

Associate
drunkenmaster said:
why do people care about prices of cpu's you don't want. i don't complain that a 8 way opteron chip is the same as a 2way opteron version but its shedloads, absolutely shedloads more. you can get a faster chip in any price bracket pretty much from amd than intel, so i would say they still offer the cheaper chips. they also still DO offer cheap chips, us deciding to buy a £280 dual core doesn't mean they've stopped doing £40 chips, just that YOU'VE DECIDED TO BUY A MORE EXPENSIVE ONE>

they've expanded their range, big whoop. i won't buy a fx60, i got a x2 3800 and a x2 4400+, i'm happy , i didn't really wanna spend that bit thats 4 cpu's i've got there. they are very good, very fast and overclock well. some people don't want to overclock, some people want to overclock but want the highest quality chips to start from. so amd should not offer these at all just to make you feel happy that you are buying the £280 top cpu , rather than the £800 top cpu.

as for benchmarks, thanks to gfx drivers offloading a little work in most games the fx60 is less than 0.5% behind the fx57 with its 200Mhz faster single core. in any other area the fx60 is faster, in any properly coded multithreaded app the fx60 stomps on the FX57.

remember also its about supply and demand, amd's manufacturing is limited, there are a certain amount of people that want the chips, EVERY business trys to price a product at a price point that will cause demand to be slightly higher than supply. if demand gets hugely higher than supply then you get angry people(x800xt pe, 7800 512mb, etc, etc). so you raise the price to keep demand lower. Thast why the 7800 gtx 512mb is priced as it is(though demands still too high leaving people angry). its business 101.

amd's marketshare and cpu's sold is increasing, it takes a long time to build new plants, is it fab 36 is opening very soon and will drop overall costs slightly to us as they can make more and keep supply higher, again business 101, once you have lots of chips you don't want endless supplies that are useless once new chips are made so you reduce costs to keep products moving out the door and not stacking up in a warehouse.

I have to agree with this man here.

Firstly, if your not going to buy one, why moan?

Its a bit like Ferrari, nice car, goes fast and is so, so sweet. But do you guys moan at the price of them?

Cars aside (slightly off topic), look on the flip side. If no one baught these processors, techology would not advance. Companies always produce 'new' products to the market at very high prices but i a year or two they will be old hat.

Also, dont you think that AMD would have their business minds screwed on tight? They have made it this far, have a little bit of faith in AMD. Anyone?

Associate
chaparral said:
I would have thought AMD would have put more L2 cache on this FX60..then there standard daul cores (4800+,4400+).

I would have expected this FX60 to come out with at lest 2x 2mb L2 cache on it

Just plain economics means that would never had happened. 4mb and 2 cores is huge for a 90nm and the price at producing these for the FX series, would have meant it would be very expensive and not worth it for AMD. Remember AMD still only have one fab plant.

At 65nm you might see 2x2MB but perhaps an additional 2MB of L3 cache on, especially the opteron dual cores, would be better.

Associate
does anyone know when there going to on sale properly???????

i mean in stock on a shelf none of this pre-order sh** we can charge u what we like stuff

Associate
Saw some benchies on Anandtech (I think). If theywere accurate then this CPU is pretty much king of anything multithreaded. Still not laying out that much on it mind...

Associate
mysticsniper said:
I wouldn't of thought too many would actually buy this prozzer, when AMD will be releasing the new 65 nm process in the next few months. Just seems like a non-runner to me :rolleyes: :o

I would have thought its main reason for release is to be AMD's figure head and too keep the Fx series of chips reputation as the best. After all an intel dual core could beat the best Fx chip in some apps and AMD couldn't have that ;)

Soldato
mrochester said:
No, the FX60 is the last processor to be released for 939. Everything is moving to Socket AM2 this year (including Sempron).
i think scooby dave meant as in they're still going to be a big part of the market for it while hardcore pc users go socket M2, heck amd's plan was to shift socket a users to socket 754 and 939 being high end, atm i bet its more 939 -> 754, and in this case i guess M2 will become the high end.

Permabanned
sja360 said:
i think scooby dave meant as in they're still going to be a big part of the market for it while hardcore pc users go socket M2, heck amd's plan was to shift socket a users to socket 754 and 939 being high end, atm i bet its more 939 -> 754, and in this case i guess M2 will become the high end.

Yeah, thats what I ment. Man can you read my mind or something? :p

Back
Top Bottom