• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G-Sync pulsar

Caporegime
OP
The leading expert on this has spoken, interesting insight:

G-SYNC Pulsar is a almost certainly a very advanced six-dimensional algebraic overdrive implementation, I think, that utilizes:

- [+1] Scanline position (stronger OD at bottom of screen, due to scanout)
- [+1] Frametime (dynamic VRR overdrive)
- [+2] Gamma corrected overdrive to prevent R/G/B color shifts (3 vars instead of 1 variable)
- [+2] On top of usual A(B)=C overdrive formula
= [6 algebra dimensions]

This would be a minimum six-dimensional algebraic overdrive, probably generated out of advanced algebraic regression curve-fitting, since you cannot strobe-tune that many settings in one sitting, and the lookup table would be literally petabytes (or more). So it gotta be algebraic-formula-based overdrive, per subpixel, computed algebra formula ~4 billion times per second (2560 x 1440 x 360 x 3).

That doesn't even include potential multi lookbehind frametime history and pixel color history, because incorporating that additional information improves overdrive further. Sometimes clamping a pixel to 255 for 2 consecutive refresh cycles is needed to speed up the slowest "to near white" pixel transitions, when refreshtimes are so scarily fast (2.78ms) and some colors take more than two refresh cycles to finish. So you got multi-refresh-cycle-depth overdrive algorithms.

So we might even be looking at 8-dimensions or 10-dimensions!

Without even looking at NDA material and never even told what G-SYNC Pulsar does, I know how complicated overdrive tuning gets when you throw in all these extra variables. I've had to butt heads with scaler/TCON vendors already on this. This is a whole other ballpark that you will never find in generic chinese scaler/TCONs.

ELMB SYNC doesn't even have ANY of this, except standard A(B)=C overdrive formula in simple LUT. You get lucky and you may be able to realtime-compute the frametime too, in some of the more expensive FreeSync implementations.

So Pulsar seemed probably 100x+ better in crosstalk behavior consistency. Much, much, much, much less crosstalk yoyo-effect.

ELMB SYNC is mathematical bush plane league hack. This is a Concorde in mathematical brilliance.

But more testing is needed by reviewers to see if spending all this massive engineering money to improve the most difficult 10% of overdrive, provides enough dividends in this refresh rate race.

G-SYNC Pulsar is an engineering achievement in strobed VRR, whole other ballpark. Not even in the same solar system as ELMB SYNC, mathematically. I wonder if my whisper of "algebra regression formula" to Seth Schneider after ULMB2 announcement, gave some ideas to NVIDIA. I was egging them on my dissapointment that ULMB2 couldn't do flexible Hz. Ha, I wonder if I started that Chaos Butterfly flapping. Algebra regression curve-fitting is easy with Wolfram Alpha. The challenge is merging all the data together from a long automated photodiode oscilloscoping session, as there are possibly quadrillions of data samples there.

Who knows?

I'm at CES 2024.

Soldato

Klo

Klo

Soldato
I'm a reasonably intelligent person with a handle on most of this stuff, and this post from Blur Busters might as well have been in ******* Chinese. It might operate in "10 dimensions" !!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Anyone care to parse it into actual language please?

I used Bing:

This forum post is written by a user who is very enthusiastic about a new feature called G-SYNC Pulsar, which is developed by NVIDIA and announced at CES 2024. G-SYNC Pulsar is a technology that aims to improve the visual clarity and smoothness of gaming monitors by using variable frequency strobing, adaptive overdrive, and pulse modulation. The user claims that G-SYNC Pulsar is a very advanced and complex technology that involves a lot of mathematical calculations and algorithms, and compares it to a Concorde, which is a supersonic passenger aircraft.

The user also compares G-SYNC Pulsar to another technology called ELMB SYNC, which is developed by ASUS and stands for Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync. ELMB SYNC is a technology that combines backlight strobing and adaptive-sync to reduce motion blur and screen tearing. The user thinks that ELMB SYNC is much inferior to G-SYNC Pulsar, and calls it a mathematical bush plane league hack, which is a derogatory term for something that is primitive and crude.

The user also mentions some technical terms and concepts related to display technology, such as:
  • Scanline position: the position of the current row of pixels being displayed on the screen.
  • Frametime: the time it takes to display one frame on the screen.
  • VRR: variable refresh rate, a technology that allows the monitor to adjust its refresh rate according to the output of the graphics card.
  • Overdrive: a technique that speeds up the pixel response time by applying a higher voltage to the pixels.
  • A(B)=C overdrive formula: a simple formula that determines the overdrive level based on the current and target pixel values.
  • Gamma corrected overdrive: a technique that adjusts the overdrive level based on the gamma curve, which is a function that maps the input signal to the output brightness.
  • Crosstalk: a phenomenon that occurs when the backlight strobing is not synchronized with the pixel transitions, resulting in ghosting or double images.
  • Algebraic regression curve-fitting: a method of finding a mathematical function that best fits a set of data points.
  • Photodiode oscilloscoping: a method of measuring the pixel response time and motion blur using a photodiode and an oscilloscope.
I hope this helps you understand what this forum post means. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Soldato
Waaay back (Nv3D Vision Glasses/Monitor time)120Hz panels could be run in a 'faster' mode-ULMB(Ultra Low Motion Blur) that reduced blur by strobing the backlight super fast, but it darkened the screen and if you were lucky, you didn't puke!:p

Then G-Sync launched, monitors still included ULMB but-it won't work with G-Sync, now Nv's managed to combine the tech, but the available Hz and panel quality has massively increased, the higher the Hz, the lower the perceivable blur will be.

Soldato
Waaay back (Nv3D Vision Glasses/Monitor time)120Hz panels could be run in a 'faster' mode-ULMB(Ultra Low Motion Blur) that reduced blur by strobing the backlight super fast, but it darkened the screen and if you were lucky, you didn't puke!:p

Then G-Sync launched, monitors still included ULMB but-it won't work with G-Sync, now Nv's managed to combine the tech, but the available Hz and panel quality has massively increased, the higher the Hz, the lower the perceivable blur will be.

ULMB would try to reduce blur but could also result in overshoot,'or crosstalk as they call it. The way Nvidia describes Pulsar, the overshoot/crosstalk should be gone. As for the strobbing effect, yes it's noticeable, the screen gets darker and many people can notice the strobing at low refresh rates and I can at 60hz but I've not owned a panel that can do it at 360hz so I don't know if it's visible at that refresh or not and also if the crosstalk issue is solved and pixels respond perfectly in line with the strobe then maybe the strobe won't be visible anyway

Last edited:
Soldato

He does raise some interesting points. Indicates that Nvidia's claims of 1000hz motion can technically be true if the monitor does what it says it can but it needs testing, however the image motion clarity will not actually equal to a true native 1000hz panel, only part of the screen will have 1000hz motion clarity - the part your eyes are focused on, the rest of the screen is not 1000hz

In order for Nvidia's 1000hz claim to be true, these 4 things need to be true, it's all or nothing and keep in mind that only the small part of the screen you are looking at will be 1000hz, everything around it, will be lower and more blur.

* Monitor must have a strobe width of 1ms or less.

* Frame rate must equal refresh rate and refresh rate must equal strobe rate, any deviation on either three breaks it.

* Monitor must have Zero crosstalk

* Your eyes must be looking at the moving object - moving objects that you are not focused on will not look like 1000hz

Strobe Pulse Width of 1ms or Less​

Motion blur is pixel visibility time, as explained at Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000 Hz Displays. Pixel visibility time is frametime on flicker free displays including sample-and-hold displays. However, pixel visibility time becomes pulse width on strobed displays, decoupling motion blur away from frametime. Therefore, good 1ms strobe flashes at lower Hz and framerate with no strobe crosstalk, can produce similar motion clarity as 1000fps 1000Hz 0ms-GtG sample and hold display.

Frame rate = refresh rate = strobe rate​

To maintain the “1000Hz look” at a low refresh rate with strobing, it is critical to achieve frame rates in the territory of the strobed refresh rate. This is necessary to avoid the the double images effects caused by framerates being below Hz. This effect is similar to the old CRT/plasma 30fps at 60Hz. Scientifically, this is caused by our analog-moving eyes being in different positions during flashes of same unchanged frames — see TestUFO double-image animation (view with strobing disabled).

No visible strobe crosstalk​

Strobe crosstalk is a second cause of double image effects that still persists at framerate=Hz. It is usually worse at the very top and bottom edge of the screen, due to the time-asymmetry between LCD scanout doing sequential pixel refresh, versus the global strobe-backlight flash (high speed video of a strobe backlight). It is caused by incomplete pixel transitions between backlight flashes. Pixel transitions with strobe backlights, need to be fast enough to complete in the blanking interval between refresh cycles. This is very difficult at higher LCD refresh rates

Eye tracking on moving objects​

Strobe backlights produce the biggest visibility improvement with full screen movements, such as panning, scrolling, and mouselook turning. In addition, it is mainly visible when eye-tracking the screen motion, rather than a permanent fixed-gaze at screen crosshairs. (This is why it is important to note that strobing benefits different games. Strobe backlight features are more popular in certain games that uses more eye tracking than other games. For example, arena-style games tend to benefit more than sniper-aim games. While relatively few CS:GO players use strobing, the Rainbow Six esports champion from a few years ago, used strobing!)

Last edited:
Soldato
ULMB would try to reduce blur but could also result in overshoot,'or crosstalk as they call it. The way Nvidia describes Pulsar, the overshoot/crosstalk should be gone. As for the strobbing effect, yes it's noticeable, the screen gets darker and many people can notice the strobing at low refresh rates and I can at 60hz but I've not owned a panel that can do it at 360hz so I don't know if it's visible at that refresh or not and also if the crosstalk issue is solved and pixels respond perfectly in line with the strobe then maybe the strobe won't be visible anyway
Fastest panel Iv'e tried is 165Hz ULMB, personally still can't do it, hopefully Nv/newer panels fix it.:)

Associate
I feel if I need to ask myself what this new tech 'solves', and I'm happy with what I have, then I probably don't need it.
It basically aligns with whether you'd benefit from a 240hz+ panel, which largely targets FPS gamers. You'd probably see some motion clarity benefit in slower-paced games but not to the point where you'd go out of your way to get a monitor with this tech.

Soldato
It basically aligns with whether you'd benefit from a 240hz+ panel, which largely targets FPS gamers. You'd probably see some motion clarity benefit in slower-paced games but not to the point where you'd go out of your way to get a monitor with this tech.

Yeah I was seeing it is kind of a niche thing for a very specific user base as in it's not something that people would necessarily change their current setup to accommodate, but it's a nice have in future if it happens to have it.

Soldato
If you don't understand it, you don't need to spend money to get the monitor with that tech in it. That's where I'm at.

I'll be a boring fart and stick to my 34" 144Hz screen and modded skyrim...leave the 1000Hz stuff for the twitch fortnite kids ;)

Soldato
I'm a reasonably intelligent person with a handle on most of this stuff, and this post from Blur Busters might as well have been in ******* Chinese. It might operate in "10 dimensions" !!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Easy.

The new tech is reversing the polarity of the neutron flow whilst modulating the deflector array.

Hence the better display to the human eye.

Back
Top Bottom