GA-P35C-DS3R Won't Post Naturally!

Associate
OP
Does anybody know what hardware diagnosis tools I use within Vista safe mode?

I can manage to get into safe mode ok so it will be useful if I could test the hardware to at least figure out why the system shuts down when I go into Vista normally.

z

Associate
OP
Grrr left the PC in safe mode to copy files across from one HD to another. I left it running for a over four hours. I came back and it had happily copied the files over ok. I shut vista down and now......

... the damn thing won't even post ! No beeps, just my fans and my lights are on.

I despair... somebody, give me a sympathy vote!

z

Soldato
How much RAM you got installed?

I have 4gb Ballistix 5300 2.2v but mine does the same and I have to put some cheap DDR2 stuff in (one stick) set the volts up and then install the rest, pants but it works for me?

.p.s 1 sympathy vote! ;)

Associate
OP
The problem started when I had 4x1GB ballistix 5300 installed. Bear in mind I've not had any issues at all for 3 months. I've figured out one of the sticks is faulty (according to memtest86) so at the moment I'm just running 2x1Gb.

I've not touched anything at all in the bios apart from switching boot priorities.

Since my previous post, the PC has decided to let me boot up now but it still won't log into Vista unless I go via safe mode. In normal Vista logon, the monitor cuts out after around 20-30 seconds once I've logged on but the fans/lights/hard disk light remain on. I've disabled all that I can during the Vista startup and the vista boot log doesn't really tell me whats going on.

At the moment, I'm running the everest stability test and it's been running fine for 2hrs. I'll leave it running overnight.

I really have no idea what is causing the issue. I'll try to re-install Vista tomorrow and see how I get on.

z

PS Thanks for the shoulder to cry on. I guess PC's are like cars.. they know exactly when to let you down!

Soldato
Well I had random bsod's and after a fresh install of Vista and the faulty RAM replaced I haven't had one all day (touches wooden desk) so it's looking good so far.

Although I am on the F5 bios but if it ain't broke...blah ...blah...blah...I'm not touching it!

Keep us updated won't you ;)

Soldato
I had exactly the same problem with my Ballistix and the P35C-DS3R, a couple of months after building. I tested the RAM in another machine and got a load of faults-RMAd it and have been fine ever since.

Associate
Hmm sympathy vote from me too Zpos.

My machine has entered a new state of wierdness as well. Managed to get it to reinstall windows fine, downloaded a couple of new drivers for chipset etc from their website as per the advice in the stickied thread for Gigabyte boards then Internet Explorer stopped working and would hang on opening....

tried downloading and reinstalling LAN drivers from the website via another computer... no change... so figured I would just reinstall windows again and start from scratch only NOW it gets to windows setup and says it cannot detect any hard drives installed and so cannot setup windows. I have not changed any bios settings from the working install I had previously - how odd!

[Edit] Seems a bios setting had been changed to put sata mode into AHCI rather than IDE - changed back and is now reloading windows :)

What I did manage to do however whilst the windows install was up, was run CPU-Z, Orthos and Memtest86

Nothing untoward on either core in CPU-Z, Orthos blend test ran happily with zero errors for over 3 hours and I left memtest running overnight for more than 8 hours with zero errors - so something definitely seems up with the mobo rather than any ram, cpu etc.

The thing appears to have a personality - and an unpleasantly changeable one at that :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all the moral support. Really appreciate it.

Well I ran the everest stability test all night and it reported no errors. The cpu was at 100% for most of the evening. At one point I thought it had crashed because it was unresponsive.. but this was due to it hammering the CPU - duh@me!

I'll try the +.1v thing bios and see how I get on. Of course this is assuming the damn thing posts when I turn it off..

The PC has run fine for 3 months, so I'd be surprised it was a compatibility issue with the ballistix.

Benm, you're right about the kit having a personality. It behaves so weirdly. If I RMA the motherboard, I'm sure it will come back with no fault found and big hole in my pocket!

Will keep my exclusive sympathy fan base posted ;)

z

Associate
OP
Mixed results.

1) Changed the voltage to +.1v and it didn't make any difference
2) Change the timings to 4-4-4-12 and it let me log on to vista and play around for around 2minutes (this is the longest sustained time). It then shutdown and restarted.
3) Tried to re-install vista and get the following interesting message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacture.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured.

I wonder what that is all about. I'll double check all connections....

In the meantime it presented me with the option to check my RAM, so that's what I'm doing.

z

Soldato
Your plugged into the Orange intel ports on the motherboard?

The purple Gigabyte one's are pants I've found!

Also what version of Vista and media are you using to install?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Windows memory test didn't find any issues with the 2x1GB sticks.

I changed the dvd drive sata from a purple port to an orange port but no joy with that when installed vista. When I was backing up my data I didn't have any issues and verified all the data was written correctly.

Both my hard drives are plugged into an orange. At the moment, I have one of the hard drives disconnected.

I'm running with Vista 64.

Remember I had no issues at all until recently when the PC suddenly stopped posting so I doubt it was a software issue that triggered the chain of events.

At this rate, I might try XP if I can find the old install disc somewhere.

Could really use some kind of diagnostic disc I could burn to see pinpoint the issue - I can dream..!

The only thing I haven't really tested is the graphics card. I know the PC screeches at me during post if I unplug the PCI express power cable. Interestingly, safe mode works ok but when I get into normal vista mode at 1920x1200 it shuts down the PC after a 20-30 seconds following startup.

Think someone should come up with a PC hire shop where you can go and hire out say, a graphics card for the day. Would cut down some of the grief!

z

Associate
OP
Ok, some progress.

I changed the voltage to +.2v - don't ask me why, it was a hunch (probably the total voltage reported in the bios status screen was 1.875v). Anyway, this didn't make any difference when I booted up. It powered down after I logged onto vista.

I then went into the bios and disabled the two settings which make the CPU run at power saving mode. Don't ask me why!

I can now go into Vista ok - although I am somewhat nervous. For another yet to be explained reason, I decided to defrag my C:.. don't ask me why. I was feeling in a illogical kind of mood.

Haven't really tested anymore than this. The defrag has been running for 3hrs now which is good as the PC hasn't shutdown.

More news as I get it.

z

Associate
OP
Nah, the OS has been on there since August. I backed up a whole bunch of stuff and copied some data across to another drive. So, it's looking kind of empty now so I thought I'd defrag it.

z

Associate
OP
Ok, seem to have sustained a period of stability... going to retest my memory with the +.2v change just to double check the 'dodgy' memory.

Thanks,
z

Soldato
are these giga problems with rev 1.1 boards as my rev 2 seems fine. only issue is it will not pick up or read my slave IDE hdd. the sata one it picks up fine.

i wanna sell it but need to format it first. any suggestions?

i have disconnected the sata one and put ide to master or only drive but still no joy. running bios F4

Back
Top Bottom